Help with Credo settings!

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
Nexus

Re: Help with Credo settings!

Post by Nexus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm

ghound wrote:https://youtu.be/5ApwZOGomSA

I'm struggling to find a setting on my Credo for small silver.
I've done a short video of my settings and also ran my GM5 over the same targets in 18khz to show that there not overly deep.
The Credo is in all metal, zero disc, max sensitivity, and 2 tone. Other than running 2 tone these are as near to the manufacturers recommended settings for deep targets.
I'm getting ferrous or mixed tones at best, one way signals etc
The Credo is advertised as getting a good signal at near 12" on a sixpence, in my video I'm testing at 7", so i must be doing something wrong, so any help on settings i could try would be much appreciated!
This video is showing only how the Dual Tone is working, but the DT is not the way to go deep. You also have ignored completely the readings of the LED meter, which are far more important that the dual tone audio.
Please follow the advise below.
1. GB in dual tone mode or in Iron Rejection or both is not recommended. You need to do GB in all metal and single tone audio only and every time.
2. The Credo DDM Dual Tone is a slow recovery by default. This means that the DT can be useful only for relatively shallow targets and will not recognize fast enough the deep non-ferrous targets.
3. Sweep length. When you do find any target to be difficult to discriminate slow down the sweep and get it as short as possible right on top of the target position. While doing so make sure that you push the coil as close as possible to the soil.
4. The Credo DDM just as any other Nexus detector is designed to find the deep targets as advertised, by listening the single audio tone responses and observing the meter at the same time, without relying on automatic features (such as DT or IR) to tell you what is in there.
5. Testing anything as on your video so close to the edge of the test pit is very inaccurate, because the pit will interfere with the discrimination. For proper test the search coil have to be at least 10" away from the edge of the test pit.

Remember! For as long as you expect the Credo DDM to behave like any other detector you will fail in your efforts to master it. When you work with the Credo DDM you need to leave behind what the other detectors do and how they do it, because Credo is not one of those detectors.

In short - All Metal Mode, no Dual Tone, no Iron Rejection and observe the LED meter. This is the way to find the deep stuff with Credo DDM.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:01 pm

ghound wrote:https://youtu.be/nr1h5QSJEsY

Ok I've had another try, ground balanced in all metal, single tone.
Settings are all metal, single tone, no disc, 3/4 sensitivity.
Im hitting the coin easily but not yet getting a DDM light reading for non ferrous.

The only other thing to try is drilling the hole deeper into the face so as the coil is at least 10" in from the edge as suggested, so I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Hi Ghound, In addition to taking the coil away from the edge of the hole (by placing the coins further into the bank), slow your short sweeps right down, you have a strong audio and by slowing the sweep right down it should help with the led.
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:24 pm

ghound wrote:https://youtu.be/nr1h5QSJEsY

Ok I've had another try, ground balanced in all metal, single tone.
Settings are all metal, single tone, no disc, 3/4 sensitivity.
Im hitting the coin easily but not yet getting a DDM light reading for non ferrous.

The only other thing to try is drilling the hole deeper into the face so as the coil is at least 10" in from the edge as suggested, so I'll give it a go tomorrow.
You did not follow point 3 from my post. Here it is again;

3. Sweep length. When you do find any target to be difficult to discriminate slow down the sweep and get it as short as possible right on top of the target position. While doing so make sure that you push the coil as close as possible to the soil. - this would mean to scrub it on the grass if necessary.

It is important to pay attention to these details especially when testing in wet conditions as on your video. If the search coil is not close enough to the soil in wet conditions (for the 13" this is 2" or less) while attempting to discriminate, small non-ferrous targets will read as Iron.

In thick wet grass accurate discrimination of deep (bellow 8" depth) small targets is impossible, no matter the detector.

Also reduce sensitivity to minimum (it is important recommendation in the User Manual until Nexus is well mastered) . In this case with your test there is no gain in high sensitivity, but only loss. In wet soil conditions discrimination will suffer at high sensitivity level.

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:48 pm

ghound wrote:https://youtu.be/Tw0--MUvMiE

Ok, gave it another go, this bit of ground seems cleaner. No disc, no iron rejection, single tone, all metal etc
Started with minimum sensitivity and turned it up as i went deeper.
First hole is approx 4.5", second hole 8.5"
I got a better ddm for the coin but because theres zero disc the ddm also lights up for the nail so I'll have to try and get a balance.
I've still to go another 3" deeper to get to the quoted figures, ill keep at it lol
Thanks for the help folks!
You keep mentioning "quoted figures". Do you mean a hammered penny at 12" in the soil? If yes who gave you this quote, as it is most certainly not from our web site.
Credo DDM is not capable of this depth for this kind of coin.

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:24 pm

ghound wrote:From your website under Nexus Credo and its matching coils.
It says the 13" coil will detect a silver sixpence @28cm.
But your last video is with a hammered penny by your words, not a silver six pence.
Hammered penny and silver six pence are not detectable at the same depth, no matter the detector or technology?
Our tests are made with a silver six pence from the 19-th century.

Please also keep in mind that the 28 cm depth for silver six p. is very close to the maximum depth for such a coin for the Credo DDM. This means that the conditions will have to be favorable for the Credo to achieve this result.
In the wet soil conditions, where you are running your tests this may not be possible as wet soil will cause loss of depth.

The stated depth is relevant to ground and weather conditions, not regardless of them.

You need to learn how the detectors work in principal, in order to understand what and when to expect from them.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Impressive figure with the Silver Sixpence,is that with the 10'' or 13'' coil ??
Some of the machines that i use Deus,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,DFX,T2,IDX Pro,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse,Trident11 Extreme

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:44 pm

ghound wrote:That's the 13" coil pal, i think it would get a bit more as well.
I will try the same thing with a silver sixpence with the MP and 10'' coil tomorrow,must admit me is liking this machine lots and lots,could even become my everyday No1 machine its that good ::g
Some of the machines that i use Deus,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,DFX,T2,IDX Pro,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse,Trident11 Extreme

Return to “NEXUS Forum”