Nexus Standard Mk2 first impressions.

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
dobybowers

Nexus Standard Mk2 first impressions.

Post by dobybowers » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:47 am

Howdy folks! Well I have using the Credo with a 10" DD for about a year and have been using the Nexus Standard Mk2 for about a month now. Georgi gave me an awesome deal that was too hard to pass up on his latest version and I have both the 9" OO and 10" DD coils to compare.
First off, the depth is real, particularly with the 9" OO coil. Nobody has my ground conditions so the only real reference is I can give is an air test. A 1e coin is detectable out to 20" or so. With a 10" DD it drops to around 16".. close to where the Credo will air test. I also attempted to measure relative field strength with a simple small coil and O'scope. The Nexus standard produces one of the cleanest sinewaves I have ever seen at over twice the amplitude of the Credo (4 -5 x the power)? Of course, as stated earlier all this power comes at the expense of coil weight and battery life. If you are considering a Nexus Mk2 you might as well invest in 20 rechargable NiMH AA batteries at the same time.. 10 for the detector and 10 to swap in if you are planning on a full day in the field. You may not make it through the afternoon with standard disposable alkalines.

Discrimination - virtually the same between the Credo and Standard Mk2. Both of these detectors have good discrimination. My ultimate test is to tell the difference between a thin brass military button and our domestic hot rocks. There is an EXTREMELY fine line between the two and the Nexus does this adequately. Some of my other detectors do this better though. The reason I say this is because there are two facets to Nexus discrimination. One is a broken sound to discriminated targets and the other is a reduced volume on targets rejected or a combination of the two. Some of my low powered detectors have a more clearly defined boundry.

Ground penetration - my ground is tough! Depending on how wet the ground is I lose 30 - 50% of potential depth in discriminate mode, but depending on how wet the ground is and using careful coil motion most of the lost depth can be reclaimed. With these detectors you cannot just go zooming across a field expecting to hit every deep target. My method is to move faster in all metal mode where almost no depth is lost and then investigate in disc mode or a mixed multitone. I have successfully pulled some amazingly deep coins this way while my hunting buddies could not produce a signal at all.

If I would add any features to the Nexus Standard, it would be adjustable Tx power, like the Nautilus DMCiib. There are times that you may not want, need or can use all that power. It would be nice to reduce power at times to narrow the detection pattern. You cannot get this detector near big, unwanted metal at all without creating an false signal.. or there may be times when you would like to do some general searching and don't want to deplete batteries unnecessarily.

Multitone - nice feature. I thought that I would like the stabilizes multitone better than the older circuit on the Credo. Georgi stated that he likes the older version better, but now that I have both, I like the older unstabilized version better too.

Still experimenting with recovery speeds but don't see much difference yet. I could use some suggestions on how to take full advantage.

More to come later..
Don..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whites 5900, XLT, Nautilus DMCiib, Tesoro Cibola, Nexus Credo

Mega B

Re: Nexus Standard Mk2 first impressions.

Post by Mega B » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 am

I have 2 Nexus machines the SE with dual 9'' coil which if i am honest really is a lovely machine that has amazing depth,but i also have a Nexus MP with the 10'' coil on and after using the MP for a couple of session has become my No1 VLF machine,not used it too its full potential yet but as i get a few more hours on the clock and on the right ground then that is when i will see the full depth potential of this detector.

Will order some more decent batteries for the machine as i dont want to get stuck when the longer days session come,if you are willing to learn the machine then it will reward you with those deeper finds,also surprised how sensitive it still is with small targets.Basically with the Nexus MP and the Deus i have almost all detecting scenarios covered.

One thing i may look at especially regarding the battery power,is that i also have 2 brand new TDI Pro 14.4v Li-ion battery and they will keep the TDI going all day long at full power,they do look to be the same type of size so could well just be a quick conversion over to the longer lasting battery,the TDI batteries are not cheap for sure but as i all ready have them and the new charger and also a car charger as well,could sort alot of the potential battery power problems out,the MP will take upto 16v so using the 14.4v battery from the TDI should be no problems,just could be a tight fit into the MP battery compartment.
Some of ther machines that i use Deus,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,DFX,T2,IDX Pro,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse,Trident11 Extreme

nexusmd

Post by nexusmd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:04 pm

That sounds at interesting potential battery conversion, please keep us posted.

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:16 pm

dobybowers wrote:
Discrimination - virtually the same between the Credo and Standard Mk2. Both of these detectors have good discrimination. My ultimate test is to tell the difference between a thin brass military button and our domestic hot rocks. There is an EXTREMELY fine line between the two and the Nexus does this adequately. Some of my other detectors do this better though. The reason I say this is because there are two facets to Nexus discrimination. One is a broken sound to discriminated targets and the other is a reduced volume on targets rejected or a combination of the two. Some of my low powered detectors have a more clearly defined boundry.
Discrimination comparison based on hot rocks vs brass button will be quite incorrect, because the button will have a very high active component (conductivity) and practically non existent reactive component, where the hot rocks will be just the exact same opposite, very high reactive component and almost no conductivity. In such a case the comparison will have much more to deal with what detector can handle mineralization better than anything related to discrimination.

Best way to test discrimination accuracy (boundary) is to use two identical coins. Crack the edge of one with pliers and then see if any of your detectors can audio discriminate the damaged coin while retaining a clear signal from the good coin.

The MkII can discriminate a damaged (cracked) Victorian Penny (30mm diameter) and detect with a clear signal an identical one in good condition. So can the Credo.

I would be curious if you can do this test and report back the results that some of your other machines are giving.

dobybowers

Post by dobybowers » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm

The type of hot rock encountered where I live may be quite different than what you may encounter overseas, but not exactly sure. What I dig with regularity resembles a piece of coal at first but is composed of thin layers. It ID's like foil ( positive) The local White's distributer hunts some of these same fields and I have seen him digging every one he encounters.. probably because they fall right in with small jewelry.. I can you a box for reference.
Thanks.
Don.

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:41 pm

dobybowers wrote:The type of hot rock encountered where I live may be quite different than what you may encounter overseas, but not exactly sure. What I dig with regularity resembles a piece of coal at first but is composed of thin layers. It ID's like foil ( positive) The local White's distributer hunts some of these same fields and I have seen him digging every one he encounters.. probably because they fall right in with small jewelry.. I can you a box for reference.
Thanks.
Don.
By all means. I have an extensive collection of hot rocks. Will be good to add more to it. You can use the Nexus company address for shipping.

However hot rocks can not be a basis of discrimination check as they all have very strong reactive component (paramagnetism), which is absent in all non-ferrous targets.

Have you tried to ground balance these hot rocks and see what happens?

dobybowers

Post by dobybowers » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Our common hotrocks cannot be ground balanced out. They must be discriminated against or dug. They ID around 2 or 3 with a Whites Spectrum ID meter.
Don..

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:08 am

I have found some (by no means all) hot rocks can be recognised. A strong audible signal with the coil close to the ground, as the coil is continuously swept and lifted from the ground the signal remains strong with very little fade and at a certain height it disappears. Whereas a good target will fade the further the coil gains height.

There is quite a good thread on the subject here: viewtopic.php?f=265&t=78089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:52 am

dobybowers wrote:Our common hotrocks cannot be ground balanced out.
Yes they can, with the MP.

dobybowers

Post by dobybowers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:35 am

I just wanted to share a little regarding my experience with the Mk2 this weekend..I have been hunting a Spanish -American war camp (1898 - 1899) for almost 20 years. One area I had beat to death with White's, Tesoro's, a Shadow X5 and a Nautilus DMCiib, and a few hand made pulse detectors and have recovered maybe 500 relics or so over the years. I thought I would take the Mk2 out to see if it could recover anything at all.

I hunted for about 3 hours in a small area, maybe 30 X 50 yds. My goodness!! I dug 19 more relics in that small area that I had pounded for years!! I have probably walked over more relics in that small area than I had previously recovered. Almost everything was at 8+ inches and my spade was too short to use my foot on for most of my recoveries. I even dug small brass relics that I thought that I would miss by not using the X5. The other amazing fact is that I did not dig a single piece of iron the entire hunt.
One observation that I made is that the "OO" coil has an advantage over the 10" DD high energy coil by a long shot. Georgi was not kidding when he said that I would be disappointed if I did not go with the 9" "OO"s. As dumb as I might think that it looks, it's performance was awesome.

The trick for effective discrimination is that the LED bar can be used for discrimination and not the audio. Or.. a combination of dual tone, audio and LED bar can be used. I used very little discrimination but the LED bar would always hit solid BLUE for iron, RED or a combination of RED and BLUE for deep relics. It also has a learning curve which I found to be a little harder than the Nautilus DMCiib, at least to coax the depth out of it, but once I figured it out I was very impressed.

Don..

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Don.
Thank you for sending the mineral samples.
I have measured them and they are nasty to say at the least. Their signal phase is very close to the signal phase of salt water. They can be balanced out by the MP ( with a heavy loss of depth), but the MkII will not be able to do that as it is not a detector capable to balance heavy minerals.
So the best option is audio discrimination in which case some tiny bits may be lost.

The samples distinctly look like anthracite, but they do not burn over a gas lighter flame. The light weight, black color and very high conductivity suggests a very high carbon content.

From this kind of mineral rocks there is no salvation and one have to do what ever possible with audio discrimination. So your initial report about using discrimination as only option was correct.

dobybowers

Post by dobybowers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:28 am

Georgi.
Yes, they are nasty buggers! I just dig them all for fear of missing thin brass buttons. I probably bag 1/2 dozen or so every hour.

I was out again today reworking an old spot. 7 more missed relics recovered with the Mk2 that were obviously too deep for my other machines. Some recoveries I have made had me scratching my head in disbelief that a detector could actually go that deep.. Nothing much of value but historicalIy significant. A musket ball and a few 30-40 Krag cartridges. I also gave up on 6 holes that indicated non ferrous targets. My shovel has a handle about 2 ft long and when my hole depth exceeded the handle length I just refilled my hole. I'm suspecting old campsite trash pits but I will just have to return with a bigger shovel to continue.

Again today, I was using the MK2 in the all metal mode, stopping to investigate every signal using the LED bar only to ID. Short sweeps to ID targets after initial location in all metal mode is the way to go.. The LED bar would only grow bigger with red or blue with each successive sweep. I dug no iron today at all, although I investigated countless potential targets and I did dig plenty of hot rocks!! I do not use disc mode at all with the MK2 as my ground conditions prohibit decent depth while swinging the coil fast in this mode.

Also, now that I have been using rechargable NiMH batteries, battery life is quite acceptable. One set outlasted me today. x;
Don..

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:28 am

@dobybowers,Don very well done on the finds,the dual 9'' coil on a Nexus always blows me away at how deep they can go,i have one on my Nexus SE its a unusual shape but the depth is outstanding but still sensitive on small targets as well.

On my MP it came with the 10'' coil,but this last week have added a 13'' and 7'' coil as well,cannot give a review on them yet as they have not arrived,but must admit i am looking forward to testing the 7'' coil which is actually 8x6,i reckon this could become a very good coil as not only would it be sensitive on small targets but also have had feed back from other users it also hits hard on larger targets and gives depth beyond what other stock coils can go.

Glad you are enjoying your MK2,if one came along at the right price with the dual 9'' coil on could also add it with the SE and MP machines.
Some of ther machines that i use Deus,TDI Pro,Nexus MP,Nexus SE,Fisher TW-5 twin box,DFX,T2,IDX Pro,Mirage Pulse,Crossbow Pulse,Trident11 Extreme

Return to “NEXUS Forum”