Nexus and ground conditions.

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
dobybowers

Nexus and ground conditions.

Post by dobybowers » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Still getting to know the Mk2 in my test garden. I have been noticing marked changes in detection depth over the last few weeks and the only thing that has changed is how saturated the ground is. A month ago, I noted where the GB control had to be set for the ground to be balanced out, and where a small ferrite slug balances.

I have been noticing that over time as the ground is drying out (and it's still pretty wet) I had to progessively turn my GB control more clockwise. My ground balance control originally had to be set close to where a ferrite slug balances (12 o'clock) but now balances around 2 o'clock. The balance point for a ferrite is unchanged.

To go along with that, I can now detect several deeper targets in my test bed with ease (coins in the 11- 12" range) that I had much difficulty with before. I have been doing some reading on other forums and see differing opinions on wet or dry grounds. The only conclusion I can draw is that fertilizers and scraps of iron and salts can become more "activated" with wet ground conditions whereas uncontaminated grounds can produce the opposite results.

I suppose this could be why some folks can be disappointed with detector performance. Much like an airplane that eats up too much runway on takeoff, it might have more to do with air density and which way the wind is blowing.. ..
Don..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whites 5900, XLT, Nautilus DMCiib, Tesoro Cibola, Nexus Credo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nexus

Re: Nexus and ground conditions.

Post by Nexus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Increase of moisture in the soil always leads to greater loss of depth due to loss of transmitting signal and increase of ground interference. This is due to increase of ground conductivity. Higher ground conductivity will require more positive ground balance adjustment (anti clock wise on MkII).
If the ground balance potentiometer is turned more to clock wise position there will be more depth penetration, because in such cases the soil vector gets at a lower angle from the vector of long time constant signals.

All detectors suffer some loss of depth after the GB is done. This may vary greatly with soil conditions.

Return to “NEXUS Forum”