Nexus MP MK2 High Iron Trashy ground

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
raverill

Nexus MP MK2 High Iron Trashy ground

Post by raverill » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Guys...

One of the fields in my permission used to contain a very old thatched property that is no longer there...Think it has been over hundred years since it was demolished..
You can see the earth is darker in the field where it used to be and it is noticeably very trashy in that area ( iron)...
This drives the MP mad signalling iron all over the place and I have run some tests and noticed the recovery time is slow with good finds being missed alongside with iron present under the search head and wondered how many potential good hits' were potentially being missed / masked by the iron...
I was wondering if another detector( with better recovery times) may be better among these high levels of iron / trashy regions ( ie Fisher 75 seems to be rated in this department) as no combination of setups on the MP seems to overcome this particular issue..
Any comments or advice /help from any of the MP users or Nexus..You guys have or noticed this?

Cheers in advance

Rich.

Mega B

Re: Nexus MP MK2 High Iron Trashy ground

Post by Mega B » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:12 pm

I would personally have said as you have the 13'' coil on your MP and you are using it on a really trashy site,the best coil for the job with any detector is use a smaller coil.Nexus have 2 smaller coils the 10'' and 7'' and i would have used the 7'' on that site,gut feeling tells me as you have nails and so much other iron its 'nulling' out the good targets.

My MP came with the 10'' coil,but i have also this week bought the larger coil and the smaller one,the latter specifically for trashy sites,right tool for the job as they say.Any detector with a big coil on on trashy iron sites would behave the same i would have thought.Smaller coil on the MP and it then would do a sterling job.

This is basically why i use a Deus with 9'' coil as well as the MP with larger and smaller coils,in theory most detecting scenarios are covered then.

It makes no odds how powerful a detector is,if you dont have the right coil on for the site,it will only end up stressing you out and then it could well end up on Evilbay.
:(

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:49 pm

On Iron infested sites 13" coil, will be far too big. However no matter the coil size on Iron infested sites one have to use Iron Rejection at all times and as small coils as possible.
In these cases depth is irrelevant as surface Iron would render all deep targets impossible to get to apart from very large objects, but even those are not guaranteed.

raverill

Post by raverill » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks for your comments guys...appreciated.
With the smallest coil, would the response time / discrimination be any different to indicate a positive ( red DDM indication) if there was a small coin right next to for example a large iron nail?
Certainly with my existing coil, an iron response ( blue DDM) seems to override / null a positive ( red DDM) indication in this scenario..?

Rich.

Justbiggles

Post by Justbiggles » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:53 pm

I use the MP Standard with 10" coil, not the MK2. In heavy iron I set sensitivity at minimum, depth will still be the best your going to get in those conditions. And set disc to knock out a rusty iron nail around 40mm long ( probably around 10 o clock on the disc dial ). Use single tone, but the DDM is just as important as the tone, your looking for red both ways or red one way and touch of blue the other. Centre the coil over the target and move left/Right or visa versa only around 3-4 inches slowly and listen and watch the DDM. Move around the target as if it is iron it will usually show itself. Slow is the name of the game in heavy iron. I have had good success with this set up, finding small hammered and cut halves right next to small iron.
Larger chunks of iron (next to) are going to mask any small target no matter what detector is used, flat iron and iron with a hole in eg iron ring will fool most machines at sometime.
Main point, go slow, if in doubt dig it out. If its a good site, clearing the iron will get you to the good stuff. Also make sure GB is checked and is spot on, making sure the ground is clear of signals before doing a GB.
Hope this is of some help as the Nexus MP is an excellent machine but takes time to master.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 pm

raverill wrote:Hi Guys...

One of the fields in my permission used to contain a very old thatched property that is no longer there...Think it has been over hundred years since it was demolished..
You can see the earth is darker in the field where it used to be and it is noticeably very trashy in that area ( iron)...
This drives the MP mad signalling iron all over the place and I have run some tests and noticed the recovery time is slow with good finds being missed alongside with iron present under the search head and wondered how many potential good hits' were potentially being missed / masked by the iron...
I was wondering if another detector( with better recovery times) may be better among these high levels of iron / trashy regions ( ie Fisher 75 seems to be rated in this department) as no combination of setups on the MP seems to overcome this particular issue..
Any comments or advice /help from any of the MP users or Nexus..You guys have or noticed this?
Cheers in advance
Rich.
For Nexus MP users the solution to iron infestation has been found by the introduction of the new concentric 24kHz coil available late Apr/early May. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKXwQ0pyjz4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK-xYox ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a coil I am looking forward to using, as I have a number of sites in which it should prove to be very useful.
::g
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

raverill

Post by raverill » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Ditto Filternozzle... this is the coil I'm waiting for now that answers my query and the conditions I have in my permission.. Will be interesting to see how this new coil goes!!!

Return to “NEXUS Forum”