Nexus MP, Monte Berry's nail board test, extended edition.

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
Nexus

Nexus MP, Monte Berry's nail board test, extended edition.

Post by Nexus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 pm

There were some enquiries lately on how the Nexus Standard MP would perform on Monte Berry's nail board test. Here is some example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKXwQ0pyjz4

Pastmember01

Re: Nexus MP, Monte Berry's nail board test, extended editio

Post by Pastmember01 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Is it just me or do others fail to see the point of these and similar tests?

Recently, I've been searching a small corner of a field with a T2 Classic (new machine). Field is old stubble, low mineralisation, easy ground balance, not too much iron trash. I've noticed that while the soil is damp the signals are strong and finding the item, even air gun pellets, in the clod is easy with the coil. As the soil has started to dry the signals are still good but finding the item in the clod has become harder and often needs the pointer. After a spell of rain it all went back to easy to find in the clod.
There's another thread about after market coils - well horses for courses but rarely are they tested under identical conditions. I've also found, like others, that you can put a coin in a hole to a depth where the signal is lost. Stick the clod back on top of the coin and the signal returns.

I suppose if I wanted to find a coin on a nail board I'd buy the best nail board detector! When can we have tests reported where someone walks down a field not knowing what's to be found and tries two different detectors or coils within minutes of each other and mark everything that should be dug. Wouldn't the machine with the most "please dig here" markers and that includes everything the other machine did, be the one you want! Or do I expect too much.

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:49 pm

WVAM wrote:Is it just me or do others fail to see the point of these and similar tests?

Recently, I've been searching a small corner of a field with a T2 Classic (new machine). Field is old stubble, low mineralisation, easy ground balance, not too much iron trash. I've noticed that while the soil is damp the signals are strong and finding the item, even air gun pellets, in the clod is easy with the coil. As the soil has started to dry the signals are still good but finding the item in the clod has become harder and often needs the pointer. After a spell of rain it all went back to easy to find in the clod.
There's another thread about after market coils - well horses for courses but rarely are they tested under identical conditions. I've also found, like others, that you can put a coin in a hole to a depth where the signal is lost. Stick the clod back on top of the coin and the signal returns.

I suppose if I wanted to find a coin on a nail board I'd buy the best nail board detector! When can we have tests reported where someone walks down a field not knowing what's to be found and tries two different detectors or coils within minutes of each other and mark everything that should be dug. Wouldn't the machine with the most "please dig here" markers and that includes everything the other machine did, be the one you want! Or do I expect too much.
Testing detectors in a specific set up that can be repeated easily by many it is a good way to establish some standard, to which people can compare different models and have some idea before hand of what they are buying.

Practical test (results) on the other hand are highly subjective and depend on great many factors like experience, knowledge, weather conditions, soil conditions even the operators confidence in their own metal detector. All of them can influence a practical outcome in great many ways, making those results unpredictable and unreliable.

This is the big problem in this industry. No standards of any kind, which leads to all sorts of outlandish claims.

Monte Berry's test is just the only so far semi established reliable way to compare recovery speed.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:20 am

Looks like a interesting coil.
Last edited by Mega B on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between perception and reality can be vast indeed.
www.hideones.info
Proxy Server

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Outstanding performance with the new concentric coil. I'll certainly have it in my armoury, it gives the Updated Nexus MP the facility to work on iron infested sites and make retrieval of non-ferrous targets a hell of a lot easier. Well done Georgi....
::g
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Mega B

Re: Nexus MP, Monte Berry's nail board test, extended edition.

Post by Mega B » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 pm

I rather like the sound of this coil.
Last edited by Mega B on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.hideones.info
Proxy Server

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 am

I woz tempered by one of there machines and I believe they are from our neck of the woods in Norfolk? The gent even offered to demo one. I think I woz put off by u had to manual ground balànce with a knob that looked like it came off a safe. Just watched vid , toooo many knobs for me ive had a lobo and trident 2 and blisstool v4 and struggled with the ground balance with all of them I havnt enough patience and would then b in my head that it's not right. Much prefer to push a button and move coil up down. Having said that I believe they are a deeper than most machines woz what made me look at them as land we do has been done by mate for 13 yrs and me for 10 yrs and done before that by a bloke who used to grid it then use all metal on detector. Obviously stuff comes up each plough, but went 3 months without a coin so wanted something to go a bit deeper , prob not there in the first place. Silly bugger.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 pm

I've just bought a 2nd hand nexus standard mp v1 with 13 inch kHz coil. Tired it Sunday for the first time and managed an hour in the rain. To be honest the ground balance is very straight forward. There's a good couple of you tube videos on setting them up. So don't be put off by the amount of dials.

As for performance its early days yet. My first task is learning the iron signals. So far I found using dual tones helps a lot. I did have the odd deep iron that give an all red led signal and also a couple of shallow but large pieces of iron give the same all red signal.
I had the nexus mp set it up in all metal mode with the discrimination set at 9 o'clock (ground balance set at 7.2, very wet stubble field). I found setting the dual tone at 12 o'clock I could then hear the iron making a high tone but with low popping sound added. Plus the iron would give a wide area of signal (as you would expect with old iron). I still dug it just in case .
The deepest being a flat piece (10" long, 2" wide,1" thick) at over a metre deep (full red bar signal up to 6 above the ground)
I didn't get any foil or hot rocks even though the field was full of it. I had 2 Victorian pennies at 6 inches. Both gave good clear full red bar signals. And I had a small button at 7 inches with a good full red bar signal.
So far my only grumble is that I find that the turbo audio/metal mode switch behind the handle. Keeps getting knocked by my hand out of all metal mode when I'm gripping the handle. Design-wise it would have been better being moved further from the handle.
One of the North Wales diggers

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am

@Jonesy,you got a tremendous bargain on that MP especially when it came with the 13'' coil.
Last edited by Mega B on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.hideones.info
Proxy Server

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:49 pm

::g was a proper bargain.
I just got the new 9" 24 kHz today. Its super light. So hopefully will try it this weekend. I agree its a good idea to have a selection of coils and setups for different terrains just in case.
One of the North Wales diggers

Return to “NEXUS Forum”