Nexus MP, Monte Berry's nail board test, extended edition.

Topics related to Nexus metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
NEXUS Videos
Nexus

Nexus MP, Monte Berry's nail board test, extended edition.

Post by Nexus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 pm

There were some enquiries lately on how the Nexus Standard MP would perform on Monte Berry's nail board test. Here is some example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKXwQ0pyjz4

WVAM

Re: Nexus MP, Monte Berry's nail board test, extended editio

Post by WVAM » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Is it just me or do others fail to see the point of these and similar tests?

Recently, I've been searching a small corner of a field with a T2 Classic (new machine). Field is old stubble, low mineralisation, easy ground balance, not too much iron trash. I've noticed that while the soil is damp the signals are strong and finding the item, even air gun pellets, in the clod is easy with the coil. As the soil has started to dry the signals are still good but finding the item in the clod has become harder and often needs the pointer. After a spell of rain it all went back to easy to find in the clod.
There's another thread about after market coils - well horses for courses but rarely are they tested under identical conditions. I've also found, like others, that you can put a coin in a hole to a depth where the signal is lost. Stick the clod back on top of the coin and the signal returns.

I suppose if I wanted to find a coin on a nail board I'd buy the best nail board detector! When can we have tests reported where someone walks down a field not knowing what's to be found and tries two different detectors or coils within minutes of each other and mark everything that should be dug. Wouldn't the machine with the most "please dig here" markers and that includes everything the other machine did, be the one you want! Or do I expect too much.

Nexus

Post by Nexus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:49 pm

WVAM wrote:Is it just me or do others fail to see the point of these and similar tests?

Recently, I've been searching a small corner of a field with a T2 Classic (new machine). Field is old stubble, low mineralisation, easy ground balance, not too much iron trash. I've noticed that while the soil is damp the signals are strong and finding the item, even air gun pellets, in the clod is easy with the coil. As the soil has started to dry the signals are still good but finding the item in the clod has become harder and often needs the pointer. After a spell of rain it all went back to easy to find in the clod.
There's another thread about after market coils - well horses for courses but rarely are they tested under identical conditions. I've also found, like others, that you can put a coin in a hole to a depth where the signal is lost. Stick the clod back on top of the coin and the signal returns.

I suppose if I wanted to find a coin on a nail board I'd buy the best nail board detector! When can we have tests reported where someone walks down a field not knowing what's to be found and tries two different detectors or coils within minutes of each other and mark everything that should be dug. Wouldn't the machine with the most "please dig here" markers and that includes everything the other machine did, be the one you want! Or do I expect too much.
Testing detectors in a specific set up that can be repeated easily by many it is a good way to establish some standard, to which people can compare different models and have some idea before hand of what they are buying.

Practical test (results) on the other hand are highly subjective and depend on great many factors like experience, knowledge, weather conditions, soil conditions even the operators confidence in their own metal detector. All of them can influence a practical outcome in great many ways, making those results unpredictable and unreliable.

This is the big problem in this industry. No standards of any kind, which leads to all sorts of outlandish claims.

Monte Berry's test is just the only so far semi established reliable way to compare recovery speed.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:20 am

That is about as good as it gets,especially when that is with a 9'' Concentric coil,the normal size coil that is used on that test is always much smallers in the 5-7'' coil size.

Will certainly be ordering one of these coils when its released in the next month or so,a deadly combination on trashy sites.

A very welcome accessory coil for sure.

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Outstanding performance with the new concentric coil. I'll certainly have it in my armoury, it gives the Updated Nexus MP the facility to work on iron infested sites and make retrieval of non-ferrous targets a hell of a lot easier. Well done Georgi....
::g
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Return to “NEXUS Forum”