CS4Pi on chains/necklaces

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS4PI Metal Detector.
Santaclaus

CS4Pi on chains/necklaces

Post by Santaclaus »

Hi, I have a 4Pi which seems to be a good machine for my local beach. I have found a lot of coins a watch and even some musket balls and I reckon I can discriminate these small non ferrous items to some degree. I can certainly tell a big iron item and even have an idea when I am going to dig a can top but invariably I still do!

So on to my question, whenever I dig a sparkler or a piece of wire I seem to get a broken signal, even 2signals as much as a foot apart but after I dig the wire out both signals disappear so I usually leave those now. It has just occurred to me that maybe a chain or necklace would have the same effect.
Could anyone that has dug up a few chains tell me if this is the case? And if not then what sort of sounds do you get from them?
Many thanks
Paul
Last edited by Santaclaus on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koala

Re: CS4Pi on chain link

Post by Koala »

you usually only get a broken iron tone when using quite a long delay

normally small gold will be invisible at these settings

These settings are useful for large shallow coins in iron

AFAIK no PI can discriminate as such. Although some models with a ground balance so a so so job.

As yours doesn't have a ground balance circuit you can't have your cake and eat it.

I have a Barricuda if I set it up so I can hear long thin iron swung down its length then most items loose about half there depth. Could look it up as posted elsewhere but from memory a medium gold ring goes from 14" down to "8 and a small fibula from 8 to 4. Some smaller item you have to almost touch the coil.

Normally I use a shorter delay and decide to dig by size.

Goldstar

Re: CS4Pi on chains/necklaces

Post by Goldstar »

Hi Santaclaus,
There’s a video on YouTube that talks about the effects of detecting thin metals and a “linked chain” The detector is trying to detect the individual links in the chain.
I don’t know how that translates in terms of the sound the CS4PI would produce, as I have yet to detect such an object. "Perhaps" a broken signal as you have descibed?
Garrett ACE250 - CS4Pi

geoff

Post by geoff »

I think, unless its mr T's chain, you will find it does not register, unless touching the coil, or balled up, if even then, no fault of the machine.
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 »

The problem with chains is it is made up of links
These links only touch each other in small sections, so although the chain might be a large one, its still not a "lump" of metal that we are used to finding, its almost like individual targets...
Chains and ear-rings are tough targets
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Santaclaus

Post by Santaclaus »

I shall have to try and get hold of a necklace or chain and take it to the beach with me to check. Strangely enough I don’t even think my wife owns one! Thanks for all the replies so far.
Paul

Koala

Post by Koala »

if its a fine chain it normally only the clasp thats detectable by most PI

Santaclaus wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 pm
I shall have to try and get hold of a necklace or chain and take it to the beach with me to check. Strangely enough I don’t even think my wife owns one! Thanks for all the replies so far.
Paul

Return to “CScope CS4PI Forum”