Ultimate headphone for 6mx

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS6MXI Metal Detector.
Tzer

Ultimate headphone for 6mx

Post by Tzer » Mon May 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Hello,
I would like to know for you guys (from Cscope) which are the best wireless headphone characteristic you recommend for the 6mxi. Impedance, sensitivity etc. ?

I was looking for a while for a good wireless headphone but... no one are able to transmit a good signal on a far target... the weird thing is that any 1$ corded headphone give a nice sound on far target. Why [:)

Cs6mx-i !

repairman

Re: Ultimate headphone for 6mx

Post by repairman » Tue May 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Hello, The trouble with wireless or cordless headphones is that there is always a delay between the detector "seeing" the target, the transmitter sending the signal to the headphones and the actual sound being reproduced. This delay is down to the electronics converting the signal from one for to another.

This delay would give you the impression that the target is an inch or more to the left or right of where the target actually is.

Incidentley, any wireless headphones using Bluetooth technology will be even worse in this respect.

At present, it would be wrong to recommend any type of wireless headphone as we have not seen any that give a quick enough response.

We are looking at a few options and will report back if there is anything suitable to offer.

If you are using wireless headphones and you like them, do let us know.

Regards

Repairman+

Tzer

Post by Tzer » Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi,

I've tried 5 différent wireless headphone :

- My Tdk wr700 (2.4ghz kleer technology) are good but : small delay (maybe 0.2 sec), shut off every 5 minutes if not enough sound.

- The Oxygen Umate, "2.4ghz from oxygen" , faster than tdk wr700, but need to put a volume controller between the output and the dongle, autonomy of the dongle is too short (5hours). Unfortunatly I lost the dongle and the oxygen company refuse to sell me another... ;;z

- The aoni 713mv, "2.4 ghz, nfsk encoded", same speed than the tdk but the sound is horrible, distorted even with the volume controller.

- The Logitech "bluethoot" 4 ipod small delay (0.2sec), shut down issu too, distorted sound...

- Fm headphone with fm transmitter, delay very small but poor audio quality and annoying chug

The Tdk give the best audio result (even with "far" sound). But the delay could be annoying, even if it's surmountable great autonomy (30 hours)
The oxygen Umate with the inline volume controller are a good choice even if autonomy is short.

I spent a lot of time and money to find out the best one, but it's very tricky...

Now I was planning to built my own. With 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver from à Chinese electronic manufacturer, powered by Li-po battery. The delay seem to be very small according to the manufacturer (0.02sec)... patent pending :p
Last edited by Tzer on Wed May 28, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cs6mx-i !

Guinea1

Post by Guinea1 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Regarding the signal delay from wireless headphones, how come XP wireless headphones don’t seem to suffer any noticeable lag? Surely the wireless technology must be universal with regards working with all detectors?

I definitely think other detector manufactures should take a leaf out of the XP manual and help to design headphones specific to their detectors. That way it would to take away a lot of the guesswork and frustration; wondering what is the best type of headphone to use with a particular detector to help get the maximum information possible from a signal.

These days’ detectorists are becoming more and more discerning about what they want; which in turn makes detector manufactures work harder and harder to tick the boxes. Let’s hope a headphone revolution takes place soon in the detector industry and that detectorists reap the benefit ::g

Tzer

Post by Tzer » Wed May 28, 2014 10:59 am

That true Guinea !

Xp headphone work great, no noticeable delay because they are analog and not digital
(despite what xp say) On a french forum, somebody used a 433Mhz analog transmitter and the ws1 headset and it work !

Was wondering if I could build this transmitter, but used ws1 headset are not easy to find.
Cs6mx-i !

Guinea1

Post by Guinea1 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:23 pm

Good luck with your project building a transmitter Tzer!

Forums like this are a goldmine for learning technical information which helps you understand something better!

andy fraggle

Post by andy fraggle » Wed May 28, 2014 1:49 pm

If you decide to build your own transmitter make sure the filtering is correct or you could end up with harmonics that could interfere with your detector.

Tzer

Post by Tzer » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Hello,

Thank you for you answer.

I finally decide to make my own wireless headphone.

I will use the 2.4 ghz transmitter / receiver (with very short delay 2 ms) I received them few days ago.

For the beginning I will put the receiver in a peltor headset ( from british army)

I will take picture of my work and will post a tutorial as soon as possible (maybe monday).
Cs6mx-i !

targets

Post by targets » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:50 pm

yank machine makers arent planning any specific phones to go with their machines as theyre hamstrung by local rules and regs on such things so it looks like an XP or nowt .
apart from whites with the facility built in on their machine.
all should have wireless headphones by now as its a nuisance with hard wired phones
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

KeithM

Post by KeithM » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:16 pm

andy fraggle wrote:If you decide to build your own transmitter make sure the filtering is correct or you could end up with harmonics that could interfere with your detector.
As I have discovered today!
Tried my TDKw700s on a new 6mxi received yesterday. Mooching around the garden it seemed to search OK, but in pinpoint mode - a massive background hum! (I taped the TDK Tx to the battery box cover.)
Changed over to the supplied Garrett 'phones and all was well. A pity as the TDKs work fine on my Omega . Any idea on solving the problem? External filters?
KeithM
Stop both engines,full ahead both rudders
Growing old is compulsory: Growing up is optional
X-clacks-overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Griffin

Post by Griffin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:39 am

It sounds like a digital v analogue, I've used the golden mask set and they
worked very well on my omega 8000 but they were very poor on my GM.
Perhaps digital machines have supression ??

mickyp

Post by mickyp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:54 am

KeithM wrote:
andy fraggle wrote:If you decide to build your own transmitter make sure the filtering is correct or you could end up with harmonics that could interfere with your detector.
As I have discovered today!
Tried my TDKw700s on a new 6mxi received yesterday. Mooching around the garden it seemed to search OK, but in pinpoint mode - a massive background hum! (I taped the TDK Tx to the battery box cover.)
Changed over to the supplied Garrett 'phones and all was well. A pity as the TDKs work fine on my Omega . Any idea on solving the problem? External filters?
KeithM
Hi all, you could try removing the tx a bit further from the control box, maybe move and try different polarisation positions.

As for 2.4 bear in mind power output and licence issues, the harmonics and it's effect on other detectors besides your own.
Regarding signal delay I think you have to weigh up the offset against the curse of the umbilical cord, when swinging to and fro ones eyes tend to balance things out as to where to dig, so I think it's a tolerable issue.
Regarding the "far" signals headphones should pretty much replicate the audio coming out of the detector so I can't see where the problem would be.
Happy Digging
CScope 6MXI

Loads of crap, and lead
2 x one penny coins
1 x broken Roman Brooch

Return to “CScope CS6MXI Forum”