Just Nails

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS6MXI Metal Detector.
gullsrock

Just Nails

Post by gullsrock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm very new to detecting and had my first all day session in a nice stubble field on my first permission. I have a CScope 6MX with ground set to auto, iron 1, sensitivity on 6, disc and disc volume also both 6. I think this 666 setting must be the default to allow farmers to find their lost horse shoe nails! Even with iron volume on 1 I am still picking them up and also some very small nails. Admittedly being a newbie I am digging everything but alas the best I found today was a spark plug and my second horse shoe. Oh and a short boomerang piece of iron about 4" long that I assume is from a plough but I can't see where it would fix and a heavy belt buckle which is probably fairly modern.

One worrying thing though is that I took with me a silver 3d and tried this laid flat a few times in holes that I had dug to find nails about 6" deep. Surprisingly this did not register at all even with sensitivity on highest setting and even though it had only just picked out quite a small nail at this depth? The detector obviously had no problem with the 3d laid on the soil surface.

I had a great day even though there were no good finds to speak of but any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: Just Nails

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Thought i would move it to a Cscope forum as you might get a better response on machine settings.... ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

gullsrock

Post by gullsrock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:37 pm

thanks

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:42 pm

use the quick settings guide at the back of the book till you get used to the sounds, use the one with the 3 tone settings then you can distinguish sounds better. if you dont have the manual you can get it online from cscope ;)

neil.
Just using the Force Image

miss a lot

Post by miss a lot » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:44 pm

turn your iron vol up to 4 , every time you get a good signal step round it (ie ) do a 1/4 turn
swing your coil over the target again then another 1/4 turn and swing again , if you get a grunt
is iron , have a look at addicted to bleeps vids on this forum . they will help,

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi there.
Iron volume wont stop you picking up iron, it best to have the iron volume up higher say 4 so you can hear it. Iron sometimes gives a high tone on larger bits and most detectors will do the same. Smaller iron giving a high tone can be due to a halo affect where the iron is breaking down in the soil. Medium to small iron that doesn't fully get discriminated by the detector should give a slight buzz at the end of the sweep. If you have the iron volume too low you could miss that buzz and amuse its a good target. The discrimination I would run at is 4 and same with the Disc volume.

Hope that helps ::g

Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:18 pm

with motion machine you will allway dig large iron deep most time you need to set your descrim to a level that cuts iron out test some nails etc in your garden

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:19 pm

set you sensitivity to a level that can cope with ground conditions without to much noise ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:52 pm

Quality of the sound takes some getting use to. (headphones essensial)

some good tips here http://ahrps.org/_tipsAndTechniques/Aud ... cation.pdf

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:16 pm

"One worrying thing though is that I took with me a silver 3d and tried this laid flat a few times in holes that I had dug to find nails about 6" deep. Surprisingly this did not register at all even with sensitivity on highest setting and even though it had only just picked out quite a small nail at this depth? The detector obviously had no problem with the 3d laid on the soil surface."

6" should be doable but getting towards its limit especially in iron infested ground. If the auto ground balance can't cope silver is on of the first to suffer in depth. You could try manual ground balance.

My detector is not affected to much by sweep speed. Some loose quite a bit if too slow (or fast).

You are doing the right thing by testing in the field experiment is the key. Find out what works best for you.

andy fraggle

Post by andy fraggle » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:39 am

Hi there, first of all turn your discrim down to level 3. What tone are you getting with iron nails??
Can you give me the serial number of your detector (its located in the battery compartment) so I can check things out for you
Andy

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Any update on this one ????

Did you mange to sort it out

MattGaw

Post by MattGaw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:52 am

Hi All

My settings r as follow

Iron vol 1-4 (it's always good to hear what you going by)
Sensitivity 10 ( no matter where I go I always turn 10, greater depth at cost of having more noise probably)
Ground balance - Auto
Discrimination 1-3 (on all grounds including wet)
Disc volume 10 ( I just want to hear everything, maybe it's paranoic but prefere that than a missed coin)

I find lots of stuff with this settings especially on wet beeches.

Good luck Everyone

Cheers Matt
CS6MXI
AKA Sorex Pro

lord lovell

Post by lord lovell » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm

MattGaw wrote:Hi All

My settings r as follow

Sensitivity 10 ( no matter where I go I always turn 10, greater depth at cost of having more noise probably)
Ground balance - Auto
Disc volume 10 ( I just want to hear everything, maybe it's paranoic but prefere that than a missed coin)

Good luck Everyone

Cheers Matt
trouble with max sensitivity you cant allways here the good faint signal though the chatter ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:16 pm

lord lovell wrote:
MattGaw wrote:Hi All

My settings r as follow

Ground balance - Auto

Good luck Everyone

Cheers Matt
trouble with max sensitivity you cant allways here the good faint signal though the chatter ::g
Sometimes less is more.

Took me a long time to get that.

This is where a test bed is different to a field. Because you know where the coin is you are will find more depth with your detector maxed out. It so much more different in the field where you don't know where a target is. Was that chatter or a faint signal. In the end you will only be digging the strong signals.

Return to “CScope CS6MXI Forum”