New 6mxi Stem Design

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS6MXI Metal Detector.
User avatar
norfolksquit
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolksquit » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 pm

New 6mxi's come with Straight stem for improved balance. You can buy the stem for 90 odd quid :-O

They still do the old stem kit for £31.

Details here: http://www.csmetaldetectors.com/product.aspx?pid=44


Currently Using: Golden Mask UK Edition 10 x 12 Coil

weeder
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 am
Location: doncaster
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by weeder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:01 am

i would like one but wouldn't pay that much,
well over top in my opinion
well it is when just bought bought one,
just my luck :(
Last edited by weeder on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
better a ping over a button than a fart over iron

..csope 6mxi

andy fraggle
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 pm
Location: kent
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by andy fraggle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:04 pm

When looking at prices please remember that they do include V.A.T (which is something we as a company have no control over) which is a sizeable chunk of the overall cost.

cornwalldavid
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by cornwalldavid » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:03 pm

The cost is comparable with other after market stems, and £20 of that cost is VAT. At the end of the day nonone has to buy it.

weeder
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 am
Location: doncaster
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by weeder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:36 pm

cornwalldavid wrote:The cost is comparable with other after market stems, and £20 of that cost is VAT. At the end of the day nonone has to buy it.
*no one

i cant complain scope sent me this FREEof charge

http://www.csmetaldetectors.com/product.aspx?pid=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good old c scope , they are tops ::g
better a ping over a button than a fart over iron

..csope 6mxi

cornwalldavid
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by cornwalldavid » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:28 pm

weeder wrote:
cornwalldavid wrote:The cost is comparable with other after market stems, and £20 of that cost is VAT. At the end of the day nonone has to buy it.
*no one

i cant complain scope sent me this FREEof charge

http://www.csmetaldetectors.com/product.aspx?pid=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good old c scope , they are tops ::g
*cscope ;-)

weeder
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 am
Location: doncaster
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by weeder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:38 pm

lol
i asked for that

and i thanked you :D
better a ping over a button than a fart over iron

..csope 6mxi

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:11 pm

I would love to get one of these but i am put off by the new stem ,how difficult is it to operate the pinpointer with control box under your arm ,and leaves box open to mud and water when setting down .£200 dearer on Cscope site than ebay shops .Would love one but can't justify getting something i may not be able to use as restricted movement in left arm and can see operating pinpoint a 2 handed job sadly.

GC-1023
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:48 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by GC-1023 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 pm

back in the 80,s fisher ,c-scope and others used to add a disc/metal switch to the handles of hipmount machines because they took into account operation needed to be one handed . so why the lack of effort to keep this machine user friendly . same problem exists with minelab sov,and xp gmaxx2 (need to flick between d1/d2) and a good many others with underslung boxes .
also the box should have screw mounts moulded in on bottom to screw rods into a bit like you screw in football studs ,then you could screw rods in of your desired length to keep things off the ground or out of the surf .
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 pm

GC-1023 wrote:back in the 80,s fisher ,c-scope and others used to add a disc/metal switch to the handles of hipmount machines because they took into account operation needed to be one handed . so why the lack of effort to keep this machine user friendly . same problem exists with minelab sov,and xp gmaxx2 (need to flick between d1/d2) and a good many others with underslung boxes .
also the box should have screw mounts moulded in on bottom to screw rods into a bit like you screw in football studs ,then you could screw rods in of your desired length to keep things off the ground or out of the surf .
Sad really seems a top notch machine spoilt by a lack of forethought mud and water getting in to battery comp ,and 2 handed job for pinpoint seems a step back ,oh well guess i need to look at other makes .

Addicted to bleeps
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: South east England
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by Addicted to bleeps » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:41 pm

The coil of my 6MX was run over by a JCB, and I had to use another detector to find it in the very wet mud, as it eventually became buried! Finally found it, absolutely covered top to bottom.

Switched it on, and it worked fine, and continues to do so to this day.

Good 'ol British grunt. ::g

ScotsmanInKent
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:14 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by ScotsmanInKent » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 pm

My take on this...
I have used the cscope with the box top mounted (ease of changing settings and can use the pinpoint) and also mounted underneath. The balance is better mounted underneath, and you dont really need the pinpoint once you get used to the machine (use the x pattern over any signal to place it and then move the coin up and down vertically to find the depth). Have detected in horrendous conditions and never had any problems with water getting into the box.

SIK
2016 Finds:
3 Hammered
11 Roman
2 Milled silver
0 Sceat
0 Stater

Lots of scrap.......

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:07 pm

ScotsmanInKent wrote:My take on this...
I have used the cscope with the box top mounted (ease of changing settings and can use the pinpoint) and also mounted underneath. The balance is better mounted underneath, and you dont really need the pinpoint once you get used to the machine (use the x pattern over any signal to place it and then move the coin up and down vertically to find the depth). Have detected in horrendous conditions and never had any problems with water getting into the box.

SIK
That is really good to know ,some of the fields i am on with my minelab at the moment are very nearly marshes lol ,that puts up with a lot but top mounted control box is always well clear of mud and water and can operate all controls inc pinpoint with right hand .Will have to borrow one see how i get on ,lot to spend if i find i can't use all the functions.Being mounted at the rear is my problem could work switch underneath the way it was before altering as i used one ,straight stem rear mount will be my problem .

andy fraggle
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 pm
Location: kent
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by andy fraggle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:18 am

When out detecting once I have set the machine how I want it the controls dont get touched and Im sure its the same for a lot of detectorists.

GC-1023
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:48 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by GC-1023 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:12 am

i,m comparing the cs6mxi to my musketeer . not sure if its true all metal and adds info in that mode .
i use my all metal mode not for accurate pinpointing ,, any quality coil these days can be pinpointed in disc .
No ,i use my all metal mode for analising the signals that dont sound sweet . if it reads narrow in all metal its a digger(100%) ,if it reads like a dinner plate its most likely iron . then i crank up the disc to full ,and if its still same signal i will drive the spade in loosen the soil,any deteriation in signal quality and its iron .
for non ferrous to read big it has to be big ,like sheet lead ,full disc will have no effect on non ferrous signal ,but can make loop iron start showing itself .
this gets iron down to zero .
skip the all-metal check and i,m digging 20% iron on some sites .
NB. i run the musky very hot . ie . i have dug a silver 3d at 7" with the huge 18 x15 fitted . amazing sensitivity using such a huge coil.
dont know if the c-scope has a true all metal mode,that actually gives more info on target .most all metal modes these days are still motion based and will give no extra info beyond pinpointing .
funny what addicted to beeps said about the box being strong .i did look at them and think they could double up for a black box on a plane ,good one c-scope, ::g .
i have heard great things about the cs6mxi ,but just feel c-scope have always been pig-headed in not listening to detectorists ideas .
my father was considered by many to be a very creative guy .He wrote c-scope with lots of ideas back in 1980, nothing he suggested was used .
No good asking me what he said i was a kid,but he was smart at getting results from simple mods ,many things he brought in life he modified .
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

andy fraggle
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 pm
Location: kent
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by andy fraggle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:29 am

We do listen to whats detectorists say, things have changed from the days you are talking about and i am always glad to receive suggestions or feedback from anyone who uses our detectors.

Andy

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:57 am

andy fraggle wrote:When out detecting once I have set the machine how I want it the controls dont get touched and Im sure its the same for a lot of detectorists.
My problem would be andy in the pinpointer not being available to use with right hand ,needs 2 hands to operate with box at rear .Where box was could be operated with right hand i.e. one handed job as i don't have full movement in left arm may not work for me .I still think laying machine down to dig leaves box very vulnerable to water ingress unless it is classed as waterproof ?.If there was an option i would buy the old style S stem with box lower down but all suppliers now only have straight stem models .

looksold
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:14 pm
Location: wiltshire
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by looksold » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:00 am

i have a cscope cs6 and really like it, great machine and is my preferred of three machines i own, perhaps i am old fashioned or super fit and strong!!! because i think the traditional setup of the machine with the not straight stem is perfect i have the box mounted forward and don't notice it being unbalanced. So cant really see what all the fuss is about but perhaps thats just me. I do use the pinpoint but do agree with a previous poster in that it is accurate anyway and a criss cross is simple.

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:58 pm

looksold wrote:i have a cscope cs6 and really like it, great machine and is my preferred of three machines i own, perhaps i am old fashioned or super fit and strong!!! because i think the traditional setup of the machine with the not straight stem is perfect i have the box mounted forward and don't notice it being unbalanced. So cant really see what all the fuss is about but perhaps thats just me. I do use the pinpoint but do agree with a previous poster in that it is accurate anyway and a criss cross is simple.
This is what i want ,have tried this original set up and i can use it pinpoint as well .Unfortunately can't buy new only second hand .Online shops only sell the new straight stem.

GC-1023
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:48 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by GC-1023 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:35 pm

norfolk bill
i,m sure there are loads of guys out there with the old stem they would swap you ,guys like weeder who have been sent the upgraded s stem free of charge .maybe he would swap you his two older stems for your brand new straight stem if you brought one ::g .
or check out european sellers ,i can see them on ebay from italy for around £500 with old stem.

and andy fraggle
your obviously watching this post and i understand that
and you say your listening these days ,so what about a clarification for someone like me .
What purpose does the all metal serve on a cs6mxi .
is it a true all metal mode like the old musky ,or a motion based all metal ?
does it give more info than just pinpoint ?
do cs6mxi users still dig iron rings occasionally?
Last edited by GC-1023 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

looksold
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:14 pm
Location: wiltshire
Has thanked: 155 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by looksold » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:55 pm

GC-1023 wrote:norfolk bill
i,m sure there are loads of guys out there with the old stem they would swap you ,guys like weeder who have been sent the upgraded s stem free of charge .maybe he would swap you his two older stems for your brand new straight stem if you brought one ::g .
and andy fraggle
your obviously watching this post and i understand that
and you say your listening these days ,so what about a clarification for someone like me .
What purpose does the all metal serve on a cs6mxi .
is it a true all metal mode like the old musky ,or a motion based all metal ?
does it give more info than just pinpoint ?
do cs6mxi users still dig iron rings occasionally?

yes i dig chain links and iron rusty buckles, i usually know but still have to dig just in case. but i have never had a detector that doesnt give a fairly positive signal

GC-1023
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:48 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by GC-1023 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:05 pm

looksold wrote:
GC-1023 wrote:norfolk bill
i,m sure there are loads of guys out there with the old stem they would swap you ,guys like weeder who have been sent the upgraded s stem free of charge .maybe he would swap you his two older stems for your brand new straight stem if you brought one ::g .
and andy fraggle
your obviously watching this post and i understand that
and you say your listening these days ,so what about a clarification for someone like me .
What purpose does the all metal serve on a cs6mxi .
is it a true all metal mode like the old musky ,or a motion based all metal ?
does it give more info than just pinpoint ?
do cs6mxi users still dig iron rings occasionally?

yes i dig chain links and iron rusty buckles, i usually know but still have to dig just in case. but i have never had a detector that doesnt give a fairly positive signal
Cheers Looksold.
what i need to know with cs6mxi. ,do iron signals read noticably wide in all metal when compared to non-ferrous?
thats the only way i can tell stuff like that ,it reads teaplate size -turkey plate size.
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Finally managed to drop onto a CS6MXI with a bent stem and control box to hand not under elbow .Second hand but supposed in showroom condition .Looking forward to it arriving and getting out to try it .Thanks to everyone for there ideas and suggestions ,was about to buy new and look to swop handle with someone . ::g

User avatar
norfolksquit
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolksquit » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:28 pm

norfolkbill wrote:Finally managed to drop onto a CS6MXI with a bent stem and control box to hand not under elbow .Second hand but supposed in showroom condition .Looking forward to it arriving and getting out to try it .Thanks to everyone for there ideas and suggestions ,was about to buy new and look to swop handle with someone . ::g
Hi Bill, where are you in Norfolk, I'm in Diss, not tried the new handle, but I find the cranked design just fine, especially if you mount the box under the arm cup, it becomes a super balanced machine, very easy to swing, here's a pick of mine below, oh BTW I have just purchased some Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones, they sound superb on the 6mxi, more info on them here: http://metaldetectorist.co.uk/sennheise ... -detecting

Image
Currently Using: Golden Mask UK Edition 10 x 12 Coil

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:05 am

Hiya Norfolksquit

I am near Great Yarmouth ,was i not going to have a deal with you on my 3MX for a 6MX and some cash ,he was in Diss.The reason i wanted a bent handle was for the control box to be mounted further forward ,i don't have much movement in my left arm so imagine it would be hard for me to work the pinpointer as both hands needed ,in the old position can all be worked with right hand .Would appreciate some tips on settings ,mainly pasture and woodland i detect,hopefully if it arrives today will be out for a while tomorrow weather permitting.

User avatar
norfolksquit
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolksquit » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:42 pm

norfolkbill wrote:Hiya Norfolksquit

I am near Great Yarmouth ,was i not going to have a deal with you on my 3MX for a 6MX and some cash ,he was in Diss.The reason i wanted a bent handle was for the control box to be mounted further forward ,i don't have much movement in my left arm so imagine it would be hard for me to work the pinpointer as both hands needed ,in the old position can all be worked with right hand .Would appreciate some tips on settings ,mainly pasture and woodland i detect,hopefully if it arrives today will be out for a while tomorrow weather permitting.
Yes it was me Bill! It would be good if you had some test targets like silver hammered coins, gold ring, modern coinage (some new coinage gives iron tone iron though), tin foil, then set your detector in auto ground balance, turn discrim to 3/4 Discrim vol 3/4 iron 4, iron vol 4. This should give you the different 3 tones you can hear, the important one is the "Ping" you get on say a gold ring or old penny.

You can try manual ground balance which can give you more depth depending on ground conditions. One 6mxi I had would only pick up a 2p at 12" if I did manual ground balance, and not on auto, but my current 6mxi will pick it up in auto, must be variation in machines, or old one needed adjust ment from cscope?

I'm sure you will love your's Bill, they are great machines, can't see why people buy these Foreign machines, follow the herd I suppose and reading dodgy reviews IMHO :))
Currently Using: Golden Mask UK Edition 10 x 12 Coil

norfolkbill
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm
Location: NORFOLK
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolkbill » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks for the info ,will try what you say and see how we get on .Only bought because of the joy and ease of use i find with the 3MX, i also have a Minelab xterra 705 which has brought me some wonderful finds ,but find it a little frustrating at times when really good numbers turn out to be crap or a good solid signal suddenly disappears not so with the 3MX.Started with a Garret a few years back that now owes me nothing ,getting quite a collection going now only wish i had started 10years earlier before arthritis set in .

User avatar
norfolksquit
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolksquit » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:48 pm

norfolkbill wrote:Thanks for the info ,will try what you say and see how we get on .Only bought because of the joy and ease of use i find with the 3MX, i also have a Minelab xterra 705 which has brought me some wonderful finds ,but find it a little frustrating at times when really good numbers turn out to be crap or a good solid signal suddenly disappears not so with the 3MX.Started with a Garret a few years back that now owes me nothing ,getting quite a collection going now only wish i had started 10years earlier before arthritis set in .
You are welcome, I think you will like the 6mxi, the 3mx is a great machine, I have had Garretts, just got another 250 as new with additional coil for £125 cost the bloke £260, couldn't resist, would add a 3mx but the another half would not be pleased LOL!
Currently Using: Golden Mask UK Edition 10 x 12 Coil

User avatar
norfolksquit
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by norfolksquit » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Are you keeping your 3mx Bill? How are you getting on with the 6MXI?
Currently Using: Golden Mask UK Edition 10 x 12 Coil

deepdigdave
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 pm
Location: Taunton
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: New 6mxi Stem Design

Post by deepdigdave » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:12 pm

This whole debate about modified stem design was something I had an issue with when I bought a 6MXi in its early days, I posted many comments, I was delighted with the machines performance but disappointed with its weight distribution and balance.
I was always a C Scope fan after owning at least 3 different models, I a ways liked the look and feel of the CS3, its control box always looked sturdy and well made, the machines balance with the small polo coil was perfect.
I truly believe that the CS3 design influenced the C Scope design team when making the CS6, but top mounting the control box and using a larger double D coil threw the balance out and caused arm fatigue, hence the control box was underslung to distribute the weight, the pin point switch was then in an ideal position.
After many complaints regarding arm fatigue C scope produced the modified top tube to throw the control box weight further back, this did have the desired effect but the pin point switch was not to hand and the base of the control box was now prone to damage at its base when the machine was rested when digging.
As I said I was and stll am a C Scope fan, they are a good company to deal with and do actually listen to their customers, but on this particular machine I feel that the original design had a couple of flaws, its performance was never in question, but reluctantly I exchanged mine for an alternative mainly because of the issues above

Post Reply

Return to “CScope CS6MXI Forum”