battery usage

All discussion specific to the Cscope CS6MXI Metal Detector.
looksold

battery usage

Post by looksold » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:08 pm

i have a cscope cs6mxi and i must say that i rate it very highly but i was just wondering what other users thoughts are on battery usage, i tend to use good quality batteries but i think i get better performance when i have just replaced them with new ones.i normally replace after approx 6 hours use when they are obviously not flat but feel only after a short time being used the performance drops off a bit, i think the difference is noticable. does any one agree with me or is it all in my head and i am just being stupid. p.s the batteries are not wasted they are used by my children in their handsets, actually perhaps they are wasted.

Whatunearth

Re: battery usage

Post by Whatunearth » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi there, I can get about 40 hours + out of a set of AA and personally I don't notice a performance drop.

But I'm sure the experts from Cscope will be able to tell you more. ::g

Greg
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

andy fraggle

Post by andy fraggle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi there, as the on board power supply is regulated you will not get any drop in performance, if you are finding this is happening get in contact with our customer service department on 01233 62918 to see about getting it sent here to be looked at. But as stated above you should get at least 40 hours of detecting out of a set of fresh batteries.

Andy

dexters shed

Post by dexters shed » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:54 pm

do you not have a battery test button? I'll keep using the batteries on my cs5mx until the reading shows nearly flat

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:04 pm

I had wondered about this on my little Ace 250.

Noticed on Monday battery level showing at 2 bars (out of 4) and wondered if it would result in loss of depth (but most I have found is in the top 6" anyway) and if I should put in new batteries and "kill off" the old ones on the computer keyboard / mouse.

Any thoughts?

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Personally I use the batteries till they go flat in my Minelab and C-Scope machines, they seem to last for weeks and I don't find there is any loss in performance, tried using rechargeables buy they always seemed to give more trouble than there worth, I just stick to the more expensive brand names and always carry spares. A fresh set every 6 hours, maybe a psychological thing perhaps? (no malice, just a thought, my mind plays tricks with me especially when I don't find a hammered coin with every other swing like some people seem to, but that's entirely down to the areas I detect in and outright jealousy, nothing more and nothing less, took me a fair while to realise that)

wick

Post by wick » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:57 pm

Noticed on Monday battery level showing at 2 bars (out of 4) and wondered if it would result in loss of depth
I'm ashamed to say I forgot to charge up some batteries, the drawer we keep a stash of non rechargeables was empty apart from pound shop specials, popped them in my 250 and they've lasted ages, its been hanging on 2 bars for ages but it doesn't seem to affect performance, just cant believe how long they lasted

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:27 pm

AndyM, Wick,
thanks for that feedback. I will leave the current ones in longer then.

Evan

JunkFinder

Post by JunkFinder » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:09 am

looksold wrote:i have a cscope cs6mxi and i must say that i rate it very highly but i was just wondering what other users thoughts are on battery usage, i tend to use good quality batteries but i think i get better performance when i have just replaced them with new ones.i normally replace after approx 6 hours use when they are obviously not flat but feel only after a short time being used the performance drops off a bit, i think the difference is noticable. does any one agree with me or is it all in my head and i am just being stupid. p.s the batteries are not wasted they are used by my children in their handsets, actually perhaps they are wasted.
I was convinced the same thing was happening with my 6mxi. I started using rechargeables and making sure they where fully charged before every outing. I thought it was all I my head too! Maybe there is something in it?
XP Deus Lite 11" Coil
C.Scope 6MXi
Garret Pro Pointer
Nothing Yet

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:51 am

I use the rechargable AA's & 9v from Aldi and buy them when they come on their weekly offer I think they are about £3 for four and the 9v about £3 each. they are 2500mah and I charge them up every time I return from detecting.
I think they must have been recharged a couple of hundred time and I have only had two go faulty.

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Yes its all in the head. Most batteries are much the same for the same chemical makeup. The only ones I have had trouble with are the red and white Panasonic ones from Home and Bargains. Had a couple of faulty ones and a couple leak.

madproffesor

Post by madproffesor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Not the machine in question, but i have a cs3mxi and i am getting around 40 hours on average from Eveready & Duracell. I know this, ( and it's a bit sad really) x; but i timed how long the machine was on for when i was out detecting and made a note of it 8-| . When the voltage drops below 10volts a change them.
Deus Full Kit. C/SCOPE 3MX.
Men and fish have one thing in common...
They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:02 pm

madproffesor wrote:Not the machine in question, but i have a cs3mxi and i am getting around 40 hours on average from Eveready & Duracell. I know this, ( and it's a bit sad really) x; but i timed how long the machine was on for when i was out detecting and made a note of it 8-| . When the voltage drops below 10volts a change them.

Love the name madproffesor very fitting for someone who times their batteries. Ha ha

Watch you don't get caught out by temperature. I climb in winter and NiMH are useless in minus temperature :D

Li-Lon are fine. Keeping NiMH warm in your pocket helps.

looksold

Post by looksold » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Thankyou all for the interesting feedback perhaps it is all iny head on another note after 27yrs of detecting I found my first gold coin today with my cs6mxi a half guinea 1803 a bit worn but am well chuffed.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:40 am

Looksold, sorry for slightly hijacking your thread and moving from machine spacific but I am sure a lot of people have found the feedback useful.

More importantly very well done on your first gold coin, full reward for 27 years searching.

Evan

ninja nige

Post by ninja nige » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:55 pm

hi,
most electronics that run on batteries will work on reduced voltage from the battery.
so my machine has 8 x 1.5 volt batteries =12 volts

the board inside works on 9 volts, as the batteries go through a regulator that reduces rate to 9 volts.
this keeps your machine stable and operating correctly until the bats go below 9v in total.

so in a nutshell machines will not loose depth or performance until batteries are really low, ::g
nige
WHITES MXT, MXT-PRO,mxt sport..MAKRO MULTI KRUZER.. 750 formula racing car, arsenal season ticket. `11 cats

Addicted to bleeps

Post by Addicted to bleeps » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Is mine the only 6MX that gives you a warning signal when the batteries are flat then?

When the batteries are dead, I get one long steady tone that only vanishes when the machine is turned off, and on again.

:-/ :-/

Whatunearth

Post by Whatunearth » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Addicted to bleeps wrote:Is mine the only 6MX that gives you a warning signal when the batteries are flat then?

When the batteries are dead, I get one long steady tone that only vanishes when the machine is turned off, and on again.

:-/ :-/
To be honest, I normally change the batteries after 35 - 40 hours or so of use and have never got to the stage where the 6mx gives a battery warning tone. I'll hold out changing them and listen out for that tone. ::g
He who dares wins!
E-trac
GMP
Minelab Safari with 12" Sunray coil.
Cscope 6mx
Garrett Pro-pointer

edmundy

Post by edmundy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:10 pm

I have actually taken my batteries down to 'nothing' and it causes a strange quirk.
It was not intentional, I just lost track of how long I'd been using them and the 'turn on' signal still sounded ok. By that I mean there was a few seconds delay between the first and second tone.
What started happening was that when I got a good signal it would 'stick' and go into a continuous low tone. I'd turn it off and on again and continue for a while before it would happen again. After half an hour (I was a long way from the car and making my way back) it suddenly stuck-always on a good target, it could still knock out the trash-and didn't go away. Turning back on and off no longer helped and I admit I was worried that it now had a fault.
Went home. Changed batteries. Next time out no problems at all in a three hour search. Next time after that I got a George the first half guinea so I would say the problem was fixed. Finished that search with an Ed penny and a Antonius Dupondius and no repeat of the 'sticking'.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:57 pm

No loss of depth.

Sometimes as the ground changes during the day fines rate and depth decreases. Normally fields with a lot of iron or coke.

Also as you get tired.

amphora

Post by amphora » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Koala wrote:Watch you don't get caught out by temperature. I climb in winter and NiMH are useless in minus temperature :D
Strange. Most batteries perform better when less hot.
madproffesor wrote:Not the machine in question, but i have a cs3mxi and i am getting around 40 hours on average from Eveready & Duracell. I know this, ( and it's a bit sad really) x; but i timed how long the machine was on for when i was out detecting and made a note of it 8-| . When the voltage drops below 10volts a change them.
CS1MX overhere. Same experience as mad proffy.
But i too have the idea that a bit before the detector yell's empty, it's performances drop, next to the sound volume lowers (c-scope confirms this volume drop in the manual).
Therefore i don't wait until the detector yell's but when i've hunted about 30-35 hours, when volume starts to drop, i change.
Good luck hunting.

Return to “CScope CS6MXI Forum”