The ID Challenge

MDF Notifications
thefiggis

The ID Challenge

Post by thefiggis » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Coming to an MDF near you soon
The ID Challenge =D> =D> -=+:-P -=+:-P :D -=+:-P -=+:-P =D> =D>
Right, that's the flashy promotional cobblers out of the way - here's the plan...

In recent weeks some of the more eagle-eyed amongst you have spotted an additional option on the forum, namely the ID Challenge Form (to save anyone scrabbling about, it's in the Quick Links but doesn't lead anywhere for now). We've been talking about this for a while and although it's not yet operational it will be very soon.

It will be a series of occasional threads designed to get an ID on an item, but with a difference. Here, you will have the opportunity to offer your opinion (via the ID Challenge Form mentioned above) but you won't be influenced by other views as you won't be able to see them. The thread will be locked and you will have a limited time to submit your ID by using the ID Challenge form. When time's up the responses will be collated and put into the now re-opened thread which will be put into the ID section for discussion.

There will be no trick questions and every item will be genuinely unidentified. The reason for the challenge format is to give everybody a chance to do their own research and come up with an idea without outside influence, the need to get in first, or indeed feeling that there's no need to offer an ID because someone else has already done it. Everyone is on an equal footing.

While we do of course learn from other people (and long may that continue) and the ID section will continue to run as normal,there's nothing like your own research to give a better, fuller understanding and this series should help us all with that.

We're still putting the finishing touches to the framework, but there is one main bone of contention to resolve. Things have got pretty heated amongst the mods (Blackadder's been held in a headlock by Sweepstick for at least a fortnight), mostly about for how long the challenge should last before being unlocked and opened up. Thoughts range from twenty minutes to three years, so as soon as we've mopped up the blood and arrived at an answer we'll get cracking on it. To save any more nasty injuries, what do you think? How long is long enough/too short?

So, we hope you'll enjoy the ID Challenge and that you'll get a lot out of it.

Pip pip :D

Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Easylife

Re: The ID Challenge

Post by Easylife » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Maybe 1 week to give all the opportunity?
Are you giving away cases of gin as prizes? :D
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & Garrett Carrot. %)=

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 pm

There was me thinking it was more GDPR "Admin Edit"
Equinox 600, Rutus Alter 71, GP Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
Twitter - @tcDetects
YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzAgpy ... OC5T1QRZCg

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm

I think 2 weeks. Sounds like a very interesting concept!

:))
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:18 pm

So far, then, one vote for a week and one for a fortnight, making an average of ten days.

We'd really appreciate views on this as it's an important aspect of the idea. We'd like everone to have the time to have a go but on the other hand not get bored with waiting. Difficult one to get exactly right, and maybe we'll take an average from the responses received and then trial that and see how it goes.

Easylife wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:49 pm
Are you giving away cases of gin as prizes? :D
M'dear fellah, to the best of my memory I've never given a glass of gin away, let alone an entire case. Good grief, the very thought x;
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Sunday evening, to Friday 9pm. ::g

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Rhumours

Post by Rhumours » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm

It has to be 24 hours .... obviously while it's a jolly good bash for us to rummage around for the answer's ..... the poor owner of said unidentified item who would.normally wait 15 minutes .... has to wait an age. Unless your going to revive age old 0 count I'd threads.

I had noticed the icon and clicked on it and assumed some sort of secret question answer check ocassionally to make sure I was me. Today I realised it might be this. So .... this is gonna be good lol.
Garret AT Pro ~ Garret Carrot ~ Piranha 35 ~ rather nice wellies ~ registered NCMD member.

Sunray

Post by Sunray » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Participation, Participation, Participation ... [Get members to join in]. Keep it short but not too short. ;))

If you decide to make it a week or more I for one will not bother [due to being easily bored], I tend to view new threads daily but would be quite happy with up to a week at the very most. Surely within a week most should have seen the thread and decided to spend some time researching the object. Much more than a week may be off-putting x;

Sounds like it will help us all to have a go and encourage research ... ::g

Jamesy636

Post by Jamesy636 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 pm

What genius came up with this idea...
Love it! I am useless at any kind of ID, but love the fact of not being judged/ridiculed or influenced by any other members.
Friday 6pm - Sunday 6pm perfect imo.

Jim

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm with BM on this. Sunday to Friday gives ample time, but quick enough to hold my interest. Nice idea btw.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b
A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

dep1699

Post by dep1699 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Brilliant idea!
I was wondering if you can disclose the tread only to the people that gave an answer. If you can do this there is no need to put a time limit and occasional forum users can partecipate giving an answer even on older posts.

Jamesy636

Post by Jamesy636 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Another question: how will you select the "chosen one" - the one who gets his annoying unidentified object, hopefully identified in an Ask the audience style..?

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:50 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 pm
Coming to an MDF near you soon
The ID Challenge =D> =D> -=+:-P -=+:-P :D -=+:-P -=+:-P =D> =D>
Right, that's the flashy promotional cobblers out of the way - here's the plan...

In recent weeks some of the more eagle-eyed amongst you have spotted an additional option on the forum, namely the ID Challenge Form (to save anyone scrabbling about, it's in the Quick Links but doesn't lead anywhere for now). We've been talking about this for a while and although it's not yet operational it will be very soon.

It will be a series of occasional threads designed to get an ID on an item, but with a difference. Here, you will have the opportunity to offer your opinion (via the ID Challenge Form mentioned above) but you won't be influenced by other views as you won't be able to see them. The thread will be locked and you will have a limited time to submit your ID by using the ID Challenge form. When time's up the responses will be collated and put into the now re-opened thread which will be put into the ID section for discussion.

There will be no trick questions and every item will be genuinely unidentified. The reason for the challenge format is to give everybody a chance to do their own research and come up with an idea without outside influence, the need to get in first, or indeed feeling that there's no need to offer an ID because someone else has already done it. Everyone is on an equal footing.

While we do of course learn from other people (and long may that continue) and the ID section will continue to run as normal,there's nothing like your own research to give a better, fuller understanding and this series should help us all with that.

We're still putting the finishing touches to the framework, but there is one main bone of contention to resolve. Things have got pretty heated amongst the mods (Blackadder's been held in a headlock by Sweepstick for at least a fortnight), mostly about for how long the challenge should last before being unlocked and opened up. Thoughts range from twenty minutes to three years, so as soon as we've mopped up the blood and arrived at an answer we'll get cracking on it. To save any more nasty injuries, what do you think? How long is long enough/too short?

So, we hope you'll enjoy the ID Challenge and that you'll get a lot out of it.

Pip pip :D
What a fantastic and novel idea... but am sure I can already ID two forum members who are going to be "up there" with their correct ID's!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 am

Hmmmmm, yeah, maybe 2 weeks is rather a long time...!

:E
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Koala put up a great post last weekend to guess the key thingy. It was up for 2 days and I was impatient to know the answer after the 48 hours.

Maybe my patience is much shorter than other people’s (highly likely actually ;)) ) but a week seems like a very long time on this busy forum.

Best duck to avoid the headlock now s;..
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Jamesy636 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 pm
What genius came up with this idea...

Jim
It was Blackadder ::g

Annoyingly he comes up with a lot of the great ideas but the rest of us normally pretend they’re ours. He needs to be kept in that headlock for a bit longer to give the rest of us a chance ;))
XP Deus

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:54 pm

From past experience I have been ridiculed for an incorrect ID, as most of the forum knows, it doesn't phase me in he slightest.
I wonder if some will hold back for fear of being ridiculed? :-w

Even so, a great idea ::g

I would think a week is plenty ;)

Best
Paul
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

brianc

Post by brianc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Well done BlackAdder for your genius.

As a compromise, why not post the object on a Wednesday afternoon and conclude it on the Sunday evening at around 6pm?

That's just my opinion on when I would most likely get involved on a regular basis so I am suggesting a prime time window (for me).

I would most likely pick it up on the Wednesday out of curiosity but would only have the opportunity to research it from Friday to Sunday.

How does an object get appointed into the Challenge in the first place and how will it be selected?

As has already been mentioned, most of us would like instant feedback if possible when we make an exciting find.

I say, lets trial it and see what the outcome is and tweek it once ongoing.
Last edited by brianc on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Many thanks for your thoughts, all, and please do keep them coming.

There are some who for whatever reason cannot spend much time researching something in one go, so 24 hours is probably too short. It would seem from both our thinking and your responses so far that under a week is the way to go. To give everyone time to have a go but without losing the attention of some, it looks like 3-5 days might suit best?

And yes, It was BA's infuriatingly brilliant idea, but that still doesn't give him the right not to share the jelly beans. B|

dep1699 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 pm
Brilliant idea!
I was wondering if you can disclose the tread only to the people that gave an answer. If you can do this there is no need to put a time limit and occasional forum users can partecipate giving an answer even on older posts.
Interesting point. ::g Thing is, although this is intended only to be an occasional series we'd like to keep it simple. Besides which, that would in truth involve quite a bit of work for us and eat hugely into our gin & jelly beans time. (Interesting combination - you should try it.)

Jamesy636 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:30 pm
Another question: how will you select the "chosen one" - the one who gets his annoying unidentified object, hopefully identified in an Ask the audience style..?
Good question. Firstly, there will be no "choosing." To begin with, we can source material from our own selection of gubbinses and wossnames and there's plenty of that, I can assure you. However, we would like everyone to feel free to submit their own items for the ID challenge. Very often we see on here threads asking for an ID on something someone's had for ages and just noticed it while cleaning out the finds bag/cat litter tray. Why not ask us to put it up as a challenge if you're in no immediate rush for an ID?

Fisher1266X wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:54 pm
From past experience I have been ridiculed for an incorrect ID, as most of the forum knows, it doesn't phase me in he slightest.
I wonder if some will hold back for fear of being ridiculed? :-w

We think that's already the case, Paul, and hopefully this project will go at least some way in negating that.

Sunray wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 pm
Sounds like it will help us all to have a go and encourage research ... ::g

Got it in one ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

the-roman

Post by the-roman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I think 24 hours is plenty of time :D
Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:40 pm

2 or 3 days should be enough as long as it's always on the same day to give people who don't log on every day a chance

Not sure how it would work with items or artifacts that are unidentifed though. Even on the database items are often listed under many things

Fishing weight or plumb bob for example which would be the correct answer

I like the idea. Probably need a bit of tweaking.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:38 am

Thanks, Koala ::g

It will be exactly the same as any other ID request, but with a period where nobody can see anyone else's ideas. Most items (and probably all coins) will get an ID but some won't, just as usual.

You're right - it will need tweaking (as will Blackadder's ears if he don't divvy up them jelly beans any time soon) and the format we start with possibly won't be the one we finally settle on as we iron out the details and pitfalls as we go.
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:14 am

2 or 3 days duration to give everyone a chance to have a guess. Then run it maybe weekly or even fortnightly would be my preference. ::g
Andi
Garrett Ace 250.
Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare and Adjust.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:22 am

At the moment, it isn't intended to be a regular feature, Shaggy, but an occasional one. It may well turn out to be a weekly-ish thing in the quieter off-season but in the busy times there's more than enough to keep everyone busy :)
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:54 pm

There’s been some great input so far. Any further thoughts? :D
XP Deus

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:54 pm

I think its a Crotal Bell!

have we started yet :D

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:55 pm
Oxgirl36 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:54 pm

I think its a Crotal Bell!

have we started yet :D

You’re lucky it’s not my finds that are being used. Mind you then that would have been a good guess -=+:-P
XP Deus

Aquila

Post by Aquila » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

It'd be great to have even the smallest rewards here for guessing right. Also if you want to increase difficulty I could send you some non-British finds to ID Challenge :D
Oldest coin I've found - L Julius Bursio's denarius, 85 BC. And I love it!

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 pm

To those of you concerned that "2" people will always get it right
Or
You will be ridiculed for your answer

The whole point of this was to take all that away once a week or so and let you concentrate on ID'ing the item

This is why we asked mrix to create the ID challenge answer some of you have noticed

Your answers will Not immediately be visible to the other forum members
Your answer will magically be transported to a forum only readable by the Admin Team
Your answers will not be touched by anyone, nor will you be contacted
Once the time length has been decided for these challenges then when the time is up, one of the mods will spend time moving all the answers from the secret forum onto the original thread and then that will be made public for you to discuss

There are no prizes, we just wanted to try to create something that everyone can have a go at and be under no pressure to speed type it out

Its gonna need some ironing out as we go along, and please keep in mind that this is being organised by people donating their time for free, and believe it or not it has already been time consuming for the mods (not me personally as it was my idea i get to sit on the big chair and wave my arms about giving out instructions)
PS: I am not solely responsible for the idea, it was a group thing (just incase it goes wrong and then the blame doesnt sit firmly with me)

As for who gets their ID chosen: That also wasnt the point we were aiming for
Its up for discussion
Keep in mind that the object may not have and ID and so it will be discussed once peoples attempts have been seen
But think of it with a Coin, they are relatively easy to ID once you master the books and where to look and what to look for to decipher
This challenge allows you to do that at a pace that suits your schedule or lifestyle, gives people an opportunity to hone their ID skills and participate
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Sunray

Post by Sunray » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Would you [the admin team] consider making past/previous ID Challenges available to members who missed out on taking part within the set time period? or for those who wish to view and try their luck at the ID Challenge at some later date. [Maybe weeks or months later].

For example: A new member joins the forum in the last week of the month of June - Therefore missed out on the opportunity to take part in the current ID Challenge.

or

A member decides he or she would now like to have a go at the challenge, having not previously taken part during the live challenge time period. [this could be weeks, months or even longer since the formal challenge period is past].

This is likely to mean a slightly different forum approach to [storage or linking to] the current process of the Challenge and the outcome/results and any discussion about it. ):=

x; I think I know what I mean ...

Ask if I have not explained myself properly ::g

Return to “Admin Notice”