H.A.M.M.Y Code - Feedback Required Please

MDF Notifications
john Colin

Re: H.A.M.M.Y Code - Feedback Required Please

Post by john Colin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:08 pm

I agree, the system is pretty good as it is. Just a thought, as we all learn differently, could we give an example of a good ID request which ticks all the boxes and incorporate it with the hammy code?

Tetra73

Post by Tetra73 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:27 pm

I feel that the hammy code is fine if you need help from others getting an ID then at least you can do is add basic info to help people who are helping you, if you can't do this then in my opinion it's a poor job, I have only asked for a few things with help on the ID but having to put a scale in the picture and details of the find is well worth the trouble to know what I have

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:17 pm

I'm off to see Joan Collins in half an hour... so I'll keep this short and ever so sweet.. I guess I have been patiently biting my tongue for ever ever so long, so here goes ....
1. Some times I feel that new members are sort of unintentionally, but intentionally pounced upon.. its a bit like .. I only joined 5 minutes ago, to showoff my bestest cruddy half penny ever.. and now they want a scale. I really feel sorry for these folk, as I can feel their enthusiasm, and witness their frustration and disappointment, because of the immediate censorship of their post.
I think that a bit more give, and alot less take, needs to be applied to these incidents.
2. Lets face it the hammy code is only a guide, its not a mantra, and certainly doesnt need to be religiously applied, there are plenty of items that dont need scale, so in my view its a little unnecessary to religiously insist scale is applied.
3. What i'm most interested in is Where the item was found, and What were the numbers on the machine.. so if a revision to the code is ever considered, I would welcome inclusion of these two most important bits of info.
I'll take the liberty of giving Joan the regards of the forum ... much love from a very old and farty .. after the fact!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm

My view is there is nothing wrong with the current HAMMY code.

The information is there in a sticky in the finds ID section (I just looked up my first ID request, I followed it then - and updated the thread title once the ID had been made B-) ).

Its your (free) forum, run it how you want it to be run, if anyone can't be bothered to follow a few simple rules and throws their toys out of the pram as they think they are being "dictated" to then its their loss.
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:28 pm

fred wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 am
mrix wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:32 am
Huge thanks for the feedback so far, it has been all positive which is great news but if anyone has a niggle or dislike regarding anything to do with the H.A.M.M.Y Code this is a really good opportunity to air your feelings, maybe you have an idea where the system could be tweaked slightly, good honest replies positive and negative are all greatly received ::g B-)
Thanks
mrix

It would be really useful if all forum members gave some indication about their location. This would probably be best done at the registration stage so it appears on their profile and doesn't have to be anything more than a County or even area of the country. I know people could fib but it can make a real difference to IDing some finds. The type of detector being used would also be of interest. Statements like 'came up as 30' have a limited value unless you know what bloody detector it is. :D
I've previously suggested "Where"... ever so kindly .... and it wasnt taken up ,,.. but there lieth another frustration,,, whats the point of having a code that isnt flexible enough to be opened up and improved upon (btw this is a brilliant thread Mrix). I even christened my upgrade the WHAMMY code, which I thought was clever, all our brain cells only have so long to make their contribution to the world, so its a matter of personal disappointment, when my psynapse fluids, fall short of the mark ... Hey ho.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:35 pm

It really isn't a guide. It is a forum rule and as such should be adhered to. Its a very simple rule and takes no effort whatsoever. And if they are enthusiastic enough to post and want to know what their finds are then adding a scale and a little detail shows they want to be part of the site. I do find it very heartening that we don't get any whats it worth questions. That says a lot about the site and its members.

Just as the finding a buddy posts can be blunt and introduce yourself has scant information, it seems people are lacking some of the basics nowadays. The number of first posts that are just asking for buddies / land to detect on which then leads the poster to not put up a further post shows that they just want to take rather than give a little. There are over 4000 accounts here with 2 posts and below. That's a lot of people.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 24 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:59 pm

Looking at this from the new-poster point of view. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the HAMMY code but I'm posting a buckle! I assume everyone knows their right from their left - until "the boss" gives directions - so, just perhaps, some new folk need a hand (left or right).

I know.... I know, but let's give some folks the benefit of doubt. It's a perfectly good code for ALL finds, including hammies.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Easylife wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 am
fred wrote:
It would be really useful if all forum members gave some indication about their location. :D
So where are you then Fred? =))
It is personal choice, but many users are likely unaware that location can easily be added.
User control panel - Profile - Location. ::g
That is a really interesting observation. ::g It was originally there but it seems to has gone somewhere along the way and I never noticed. I possibly messed up the profile settings when I changed the detectors that I used before Christmas or perhap one of the updates stuffed it. rl; Now rectified. :D
Last edited by fred on Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 am
The HAMMY code is also stickied to the top of the ID section in its own thread ::g

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=98991

It is also in the forum guide and, as already said, the rules. Obviously though it isn't being seen or noticed - is there more we could do to make it obvious?
The point is that it is not called the HAMMY code there, it is part of a much longer post. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:14 pm

In my view, the HAMMY code is reasonable and beneficial. I see no reason to change it.
Minelab E-Trac. XP Goldmaxx power v4. Garret carrot. Evolution spade.

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:16 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:28 pm
fred wrote:
mrix wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:32 am
Huge thanks for the feedback so far, it has been all positive which is great news but if anyone has a niggle or dislike regarding anything to do with the H.A.M.M.Y Code this is a really good opportunity to air your feelings, maybe you have an idea where the system could be tweaked slightly, good honest replies positive and negative are all greatly received ::g B-)
Thanks
mrix

It would be really useful if all forum members gave some indication about their location. This would probably be best done at the registration stage so it appears on their profile and doesn't have to be anything more than a County or even area of the country. I know people could fib but it can make a real difference to IDing some finds. The type of detector being used would also be of interest. Statements like 'came up as 30' have a limited value unless you know what bloody detector it is. :D
I've previously suggested "Where"... ever so kindly .... and it wasnt taken up ,,.. but there lieth another frustration,,, whats the point of having a code that isnt flexible enough to be opened up and improved upon (btw this is a brilliant thread Mrix). I even christened my upgrade the WHAMMY code, which I thought was clever, all our brain cells only have so long to make their contribution to the world, so its a matter of personal disappointment, when my psynapse fluids, fall short of the mark ... Hey ho.
I’ve never forgotten the WHAMMY code OA ::g ::g ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:24 pm

Have to say that I have used the Hammy ID request many times and have to agree that it is a basic, common sense courtesy to include at least a scale for reference purposes as well as the find details and detector used etc. It's not rocket science after all.
Keep up the good work to all who help others. ::g ::g ::g

Roughwood

Post by Roughwood » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi All.

Just to say that, from my point of view (and this is only my opinion,) it's good as it is.

We have an invaluable resource here. ::g
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus
Nokta Pinpointer

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm

I wish I could find a HAMMY!!!! =)) =))

Great replies and as said, it helps everyone on the forum ::g

XP Déus V5.2

If you don't hear it..... it's not there!

Luke Grey

Post by Luke Grey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi all,

I found the HAMMY code and POSTING A PICTURE threads absolutely fantastic before I posted.

I really value the knowledge, expertise and experience from other members, so my effort to post in line with the suggestions, did indeed take effort (25 photos to focus hallmarks lol) and then cropping and resizing etc.

But this is the very least indeed I could do when asking help from such an educated forum.

I must admit, I didn’t add a scale, as it was just a finger ring. So shoot me for that as long as it’s by an old musket ball :D

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Well, I need to post something on this thread as I believe in a round about way its presence is due to myself.

Somebody who is a good poster on here got in touch with me last night as his post requesting an Id on a few Roman coins and an artefact was deleted, even though an Id was given on the coins by Allectus ( I would of done it but he saw them first :D ).

Speaking as somebody who does occasionally ID a coin or artefact on this forum I just cannot see the point in deleting a post, especially one that a somebody has gone to the trouble of IDing said coins or artefacts just because there is no scale on the photo.

A lot of coins/artefacts can not be anything other than what they appear to be ( even with ought a scale), whereas a lot of coins and artefacts do benefit from having a scale next to them as they can be confused as something else without it ie, a penny/halfpenny or Groat/halfgroat.

What I think is wrong is if a post is deleted if somebody says for instance, " me and my mate went out to our usual site this morning ( from which finds have been posted on this forum for over 5 years) and had some nice finds, a few Roman coins and this strange artefact, do you think it could be Roman and can anyone ID the coins please ?"

The post has numerous reply's as the ID for the coins is quite easy and there are some good responses to the artefact question...….And then the post gets deleted because there is no scale x; Makes no sense to me and is more than a bit disrespectful to whoever put the time and effort in to make the IDs, this is just my opinion and it dosent seem like other people agree with it,,,,everybody likes a story to read and it makes for an interesting post, of course it does, but if somebody just askes for a casual ID, I will do my best to give it if I know what machine was being used or not.....like I say, its just my opinion,
best wishes to you all, Phil ::g

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:00 pm

alloverover wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:54 pm
Well, I need to post something on this thread as I believe in a round about way its presence is due to myself.

Somebody who is a good poster on here got in touch with me last night as his post requesting an Id on a few Roman coins and an artefact was deleted, even though an Id was given on the coins by Allectus ( I would of done it but he saw them first :D ).

Speaking as somebody who does occasionally ID a coin or artefact on this forum I just cannot see the point in deleting a post, especially one that somebody has gone to the trouble of IDing said coins or artefacts, just because there is no scale on the photo.

A lot of coins/artefacts can not be anything other than what they appear to be ( even with ought a scale), whereas a lot of coins and artefacts do benefit from having a scale next to them as they can be confused as something else without it ie, a penny/halfpenny or Groat/halfgroat.

What I think is wrong is if a post is deleted if somebody says for instance, " me and my mate went out to our usual site this morning ( from which finds have been posted on this forum for over 5 years) and had some nice finds, a few Roman coins and this strange artefact, do you think it could be Roman and can anyone ID the coins please ?"

The post has numerous reply's as the ID for the coins is quite easy and there are some good responses to the artefact question...….And then the post gets deleted because there is no scale x; Makes no sense to me and is more than a bit disrespectful to whoever put the time and effort in to make the IDs, this is just my opinion and it dosent seem like other people agree with it,,,,everybody likes a story to read and it makes for an interesting post, of course it does, but if somebody just askes for a casual ID, I will do my best to give it if I know what machine was being used or not.....like I say, its just my opinion,
best wishes to you all, Phil ::g

coal digger

Post by coal digger » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:14 pm

But on a serious note its the lack of please and thanks that gets my goat up,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:16 pm

coal digger wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:14 pm
But on a serious note its the lack of please and thanks that gets my goat up,cd ::g
And decent phots ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Hello I do have to defend this case as it was not just one off accurance with the specific member you speak of, this member had never bothered to use the H.A.M.M Y Code. We already had an ongoing problem with this longer term member not bothering with the code but he was quite able to upload images.
We have tried very hard to push the Hammy code and make everyone aware, our job becomes so much harder when longer term members cannot be bothered.
Its also just come to light the member in question asked for the topic to be removed and it was not simply deleted by us.
mrix

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 pm

mrix wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Hello I do have to defend this case as it was not just one off accurance with the specific member you speak of, this member had never bothered to use the H.A.M.M Y Code. We already had an ongoing problem with this longer term member not bothering with the code but he was quite able to upload images.
We have tried very hard to push the Hammy code and make everyone aware, our job becomes so much harder when longer term members cannot be bothered.
mrix
I don't know Mike, to be honest the guys in question have one of the most interesting sites that has had its finds put on display on the forum over the years, I personally haven't had an issue with IDing the Iron Age coins they have found due to lack of a scale, be they British or Continental types and the many posts have been enthralling and thought provoking with the many different tribes coinage found on the one site.

I feel very glad to of been able to help the guys out with there IDs, its been fascinating tbh and has widened my interests into Gaulish and Belgic coinage, maybe this should just be a general discussion rather than individual cases ::g

Vosenos II

Post by Vosenos II » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Scale.. apparently required for post

No disrespect to the person that sent me this message but it says otherwise? Copied and pasted below (read last line) -

I see you add the dimensions of your finds within the body of the descriptive text which of course is excellent as it meets the requirement so all is good ::g

However, you may not have seen this handy gadget so I thought you may like to be made aware of it's existence. It's a free downloadable 'Colour Scaled Grid' which can be printed off for use when submitting finds for ID and It comes courtesy of Dave 8472.

It has the following advantages:-

a. It does away with the need to add an ‘item’ to illustrate the scale.
b. It provides an excellent backdrop for your find and focuses attention on the subject being illustrated.
c. There's no need to look for loose change or a rule which takes up valuable space which could be
better utilised for enlargement of the find image.
d. It saves time readying the find for photographing.
e. It looks dead smart! 8-|............I just added that :D

Of course it's not a requirement and we don't insist on it's use
Last edited by Vosenos II on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:40 pm

The code is one of the things that make this forum the best on the internet, if you want superb and accurate IDs and informative discussion then MDF stands out as being the best by a million miles. If a poster can't be bothered to take a good photo with clear measurements then they shouldn't expect the experts on here to take the time to identify the items, it's just plain and simple good manners.

Don't change a thing please.

Cantiaci

Post by Cantiaci » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:42 pm

mrix wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 pm
mrix
Hi all. With regards to the hammy code I have ALWAYS ALWAYS uploaded clear detailed photos, detector, settings, ground balance and field conditions!! Rules are rules and understand that’s the case here and as I said to Liam ( who told me it was an embarrassing situation me not using a ruler? ) what my position will be in the future about posting finds.
I can understand a scale for Certain ids but not with others. For example there was a scale for a pair of teeth the other day.
Again sorry for embarrassing or annoying anyone or all.
Happy hunting!
Steve
Never give up on ANY field..they really don't make them anymore….

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm

title helps a lot. And needs adding to the hammy code

ID Please. Isn't that helpful. Especially when its already been ID'd and you are opening it for the third time.

livery button
hammered coin
buckle

and so on would mean it gets see by the correct people.

and then change to ID made

Luke Grey

Post by Luke Grey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:16 pm

cantona1 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:40 pm
The code is one of the things that make this forum the best on the internet, if you want superb and accurate IDs and informative discussion then MDF stands out as being the best by a million miles. If a poster can't be bothered to take a good photo with clear measurements then they shouldn't expect the experts on here to take the time to identify the items, it's just plain and simple good manners.

Totally Agree 100%

I did my best and as a poster asking, I went to the effort before posting. Totally Fair !

I totally agree if a poster makes no effort following the rules / guidelines why should they draw time from the experts free of charge. Only for the experts to ask yet again "Can we have a size / scale please" So yes keep the existing settings.

(Saying that I just posted a Beach find with nothing other than where the new cut is, but I think it's is just shared information for others) not a request for ID.

But yes, good photos, settings environment, scale etc will get you better replies.

The current advice seems to tick all the boxes the experts need, without asking further obvious questions.

alloverover

Post by alloverover » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Luke Grey wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:16 pm
cantona1 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:40 pm

Totally Agree 100%

I did my best and as a poster asking, I went to the effort before posting. Totally Fair !

I totally agree if a poster makes no effort following the rules / guidelines why should they draw time from the experts free of charge. Only for the experts to ask yet again "Can we have a size / scale please" So yes keep the existing settings.

(Saying that I just posted a Beach find with nothing other than where the new cut is, but I think it's is just shared information for others) not a request for ID.

But yes, good photos, settings environment, scale etc will get you better replies.

The current advice seems to tick all the boxes the experts need, without asking further obvious questions.
The strange thing is,, its not normally the people who give the ids that are asking for the size,, it is sometimes, when something ambiguous is posted but normally an ID is given with ought scale.

I think that's all I will say on the matter, unless asked.

Best will to everybody,

No hard feelings to anybody,

Respect to all ::g

f8met

Post by f8met » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 pm

I guess that unless you have held a quarter, a half and a full stater then you don't appricate the size of them. It could be argued that a standard hammered penny shouldn't need a scale but why not add one? Again unless you see a Edward I half and quarter or a half groat and groat then you don't appricate how easy it is to get confused.

I post pretty much everything (I hope) with a scale as a matter of course. It helps far more than hinders and is a good habit to have.
Dave
Deus, 9" and 11" black coil
2019 24 Hammered
Hit my 200th hammered!

Me and my boy

Post by Me and my boy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Firstly I haven’t had time to view all responses so far so I may be reiterating what others have said, but here’s my two penuths worth.

Firstly I’m lazy and don’t always add scale if I’ve already taken a picture of what I’ve found for my personal records. I know this is wrong and i should post when I’ve taken the time to post it properly.

I appreciate that scale is important as is a good clear photo and that it’s frustrating when trying to id something, but if pictures are rubbish and scale is non existent I think as members who wish to try and help id we should agree to dismiss the post and ignore their requests, until better effort is put in on their behalf.

Perhaps we should all be more Lenient with new inexperienced members and help them to help themselves. As we were all new to this once and it’s quite daunting getting a rollicking straight off.

I think what is in place is not a unrealistic ask and is fair.

Lastly, sometimes we/I feel we don’t want to give too much info incase the nighthawkers are stalking us and getting clues.
Ie ; “ I found this saxon gold hoard on freshly drilled land on top of a hill in Banbury, just near an old oak tree.”

So if you say pasture or cultivated that is possibly enough info.

The end
Ps Great work with the site thanks

Saki

Post by Saki » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm 100% for the HAMMY code ::g
:)) :))
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."