Ebay scam

MDF Notifications
liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Ebay scam

Post by liamnolan » Tue May 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Received this warning from one of our members here, so please be aware!! Liam OooO

Hi
I am not sure who to inform about the link in the heading. Its an ebay minelab ctx 3030 for sale. It was listed before untill it was removed when I contacted Ebay customer services about my concernes.
It has now poped up again under another sellers name and the seller is trying to getr buyers to buy outside the ebay site. It is a scam to take honest money from hard working people. I will ring ebay customer services again to see if it can be deleted, might be worth informing people on here to stay away (if thats possible and within the rules of the MDF.

Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Blackadder43

Re: Ebay scam

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Bumped as important
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Good to know. I've spotted several similar scams on my local Gumtree over the last few years, all for XP Deus machines at irresistible bargain prices. (Fortunately I resisted, after asking a couple of pertinent questions.)

Barry
Primary: XP Deus
Backup: C.SCOPE CS6MXi
"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 pm

bazzerhut wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:15 pm
Good to know. I've spotted several similar scams on my local Gumtree over the last few years, all for XP Deus machines at irresistible bargain prices. (Fortunately I resisted, after asking a couple of pertinent questions.)

Barry
Well if you are being offered an item at an irresistible bargain price...
its either a scam, nicked, or broke... I would just leave the buyer to find out for themselves coz if they havent figured it out beforehand, it will be a good life lesson for them...
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

muscles78956

Post by muscles78956 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 pm

theres a scam of a deus full set up for buy it now of £500 on ebay regularly same photo different ids,Rob

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:52 pm
bazzerhut wrote:

Barry
its either a scam, nicked, or broke... I would just leave the buyer to find out for themselves coz if they havent figured it out beforehand, it will be a good life lesson for them...
You're a hard hearted man 'oldartefact'.........but I concur!! :-O ::g Cheers ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 pm
oldartefact wrote:
bazzerhut wrote:

Barry
You're a hard hearted man 'oldartefact'.........but I concur!! :-O ::g Cheers ss47
Just trying to be realistic ... after being scammed for a broke 2nd hand detector myself. I was new to the hobby, and wanted a machine for the beach, so a bloke at the club offered me his sov... sadly it was a heap of rubbish ... two lessons 1. Dont buy second hand 2. Dont trust someone just because they are a respected club member... that lesson cost me £250 .. I wont forget it!

JBM

Post by JBM » Tue May 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Nothing wrong with second user items as long as you know where they are coming from.

Most dealers will also give a warranty with their second user stock.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 pm

JBM wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:13 pm
Nothing wrong with second user items as long as you know where they are coming from.

Most dealers will also give a warranty with their second user stock.

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.
Agree, getting a warranty is the way to go..
I would buy a second hand machine from a mate also ... but I would not buy from someone I dont have a reason to personally trust... it cost me £250 last time ... and now I have the pile of junk languishing in the corner of the garage..
The coil falses, the stem doesnt match the coil, and the battery compartment is stuck on with tape... other than that it was a great machine. -=+:-P -=+:-P -=+:-P

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed May 10, 2017 6:12 am

oldartefact wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 pm
The coil falses, the stem doesnt match the coil, and the battery compartment is stuck on with tape... other than that it was a great machine. -=+:-P -=+:-P -=+:-P
Sounds like you'd have found more stuff with Trigger's broom, which would appear to have a lot in common with that machine.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
oldartefact wrote:

Just trying to be realistic ... after being scammed for a broke 2nd hand detector myself. I was new to the hobby, and wanted a machine for the beach, so a bloke at the club offered me his sov... sadly it was a heap of rubbish ... two lessons 1. Dont buy second hand 2. Dont trust someone just because they are a respected club member... that lesson cost me £250 .. I wont forget it!
Hello 'oldartefact' A sad tale indeed! ;;z

I had two initial thoughts on your fellow metal detecting club member, the first one you will have guessed!! ;;z and the second is that he's a contemptible individual void of any degree of honour, otherwise he would have immediately offered to return your payment.

I have to say that having been chairman of a club, if such an incident was to be brought to my attention and proved to be correct, he would have received swift notification of his imminent departure from the club! This punitive action is, in my view, is fully justifiable, because clubs through their committees and members work hard to acquire the club's good 'standing' in the community. There can be no quarter given where a member's actions are liable to put the club's reputation at risk.

I agree, that was an expensive lesson and sadly it may make you, as an honourable person, a little less willing to trust in the future. All the best ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed May 10, 2017 11:01 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 pm
oldartefact wrote:
sweepstick47 wrote:

I had two initial thoughts on your fellow metal detecting club member, the first one you will have guessed!! ;;z and the second is that he's a contemptible individual void of any degree of honour, otherwise he would have immediately offered to return your payment.

I have to say that having been chairman of a club, if such an incident was to be brought to my attention and proved to be correct, he would have received swift notification of his imminent departure from the club! This punitive action is, in my view, is fully justifiable, because clubs through their committees and members work hard to acquire the club's good 'standing' in the community. There can be no quarter given where a member's actions are liable to put the club's reputation at risk.

I agree, that was an expensive lesson and sadly it may make you, as an honourable person, a little less willing to trust in the future. All the best ::g Regards ss47
Thank-you for your kind words of support.. but the circumstances were that the person concerned was a long standing member of the club, and in the process of moving away. Being a new member of the club, I didnt want to make waves, so I took the hit, I thought of it as a gift to "charity" ... an expensive lesson, that I wont forget.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 am

Going a little off-topic and could I say thanks for the "thanks" but the hero here is Tim James - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=20539 who initially contacted me to alert me to the problem. So well done Tim! OooO
Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

f8met

Post by f8met » Thu May 11, 2017 2:55 pm

I have also seen items on Gumtree where they have lifted a Deus listing straight from ebay and put it up for sale. You have even less comeback on that as they usually ask you to send the money before they send the goods never to be heard from again.
Dave

Deus, 9" black coil + Elliptical hf

2018 19 Hammered

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu May 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Yes, I think there are countless victims out there who are just too embarrassed to report the crime and instead decide to avoid being robbed in the future. I sold an expensive piece of equipment to a chap in London for £2000, who ten sold it to someone in Southend, where it is now still. However that machine, plus my original advert and pics appeared on Gumtree, for sale at just £1000 and located up in Aberdeen! When I contacted the seller and offered to pay and collect, he disappeared. A common theme is to ask for half the payment up front to secure the wonderful bargain, but the goods don't exist and you have lost your money. They could be making millions on these scams due to not enough victims coming forward, Liam

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:01 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 pm
oldartefact wrote:

Thank-you for your kind words of support.. but the circumstances were that the person concerned was a long standing member of the club, and in the process of moving away. Being a new member of the club, I didnt want to make waves, so I took the hit, I thought of it as a gift to "charity" ... an expensive lesson, that I wont forget.
I understand ::g, It's the the most charitable view of accepting the situation. ::g Regards. ss47

Return to “Admin Notice”