MDF Server Upgrade

MDF Notifications
mrix
Founder

Re: MDF Server Upgrade

Post by mrix » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi all, any issues really need to be put on hold for a few days longer as this dns ip change can effect so many different things ;;z
If after say a week you are still experiencing problems please do post back here which would be hugely appreciated ::g
Thanks
mrix

arfur_sleep

Post by arfur_sleep » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi, Tried to post some images tonight and got the following message

This is the information i get when trying to use a hosted image

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct. I use Imgur and have never had any problems posting images previously.

I know Mrix is working on the problems since the upgrade but submitted this for information

Many Thanks ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello all, just wondering if any members are still having this image problem below appear when trying to add imaged to your posts ? I can clearly see many members appears to be totally fine with attaching images using the attachment feature and also those that host off-site.
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct. I use Imgur and have never had any problems posting images previously.
Thanks
mrix

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 pm

just tried it mike still a problem here ?.

im not sure if its photobucket, as the last time i used it, which was over a year ago when you click the img link it automatically said link copied . now it dosent you have to manually copy it, maybe anyone else that uses this hosting site can verify if they can use it ok or maybe thats the problem and not the forum.

the pics im trying are or where on the site previous to your upgrade so must be right size :-/

neil.

just tried this pic mike at bottom of this thread, as you can see its still on the forum and still on p/bucket. but it wont go on again, and it cant be due to size

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5038&start=20
Just using the Force Image

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm

ah maybe this is the problem, like i said i havent used it for over a year, maybe someone else can clarify

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/3 ... party_pgs/

neil.

nope just tried another hosting site and its still the same ?
if its any help, using windows 10
chrome browser
photobucket

direct link works, and attachment from pc is ok. ::g

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:09 am

ha ha, the problem seems to be with chrome browser, just loaded this up on Microsoft edge, from photo bucket using the image link.

ive tried this pic more than once on chrome and never got it on ::g

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 am

THE MOLE wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:09 am

ha ha, the problem seems to be with chrome browser, just loaded this up on Microsoft edge, from photo bucket using the image link.

ive tried this pic more than once on chrome and never got it on ::g
Hiya Mr Mole, its also possibly that mrix has found a problem this morning and fixed it...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98746
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 am

ah cheers ba, my head was beginning to hurt trying to find a problem my end ::g

thank god for that =))

neil.

now all i need is something to post =)) =)) =)) =))

arfur_sleep

Post by arfur_sleep » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Can now post my pics so as far as I am concerned, its working well for me :E ::g

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:30 pm

"If after say a week you are still experiencing problems please do post back here"

I guess a week is nearly up, so I'm letting you know the site is completely inaccessible to me. I immediately get a browser message about 'unable to make a secure connection'. I'm sure this is https related.
Do you know if there's any changes made between the old site (which I CAN still access) and the new one? Any specific requirement for a particular SSL or TLS version?

(I'm still making do using the public access PC's in my local library, which can open the forum OK.)
:(

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:12 pm

In the absense of any reply, I had to do my own investigations. But ... I was a bit out of my depth, so this evening I took my PC round to a friend who is hot on website design and all things internet/PC.

My hunch was correct. The security settings for the new site and the old ARE quite different, and that is what was preventing me accessing the new site, yet be still able to access the old site:
https://109.75.171.100/

He used free websites that analyse other website's settings, etc, to find out what the details about the https were. This is one of them, SSL analyser:
https://sslanalyzer.comodoca.com/

There is a 'heirarchy' of security doo-dads involved in turning http into https.
From latest to oldest, they go:
TLS Version 1.2
TLS Version 1.1
TLS Version 1.0
SSL Version 3

It seems the Old Site works with TLS V1.2, and if the connecting computer isn't capable of that, it 'drops down' to the next V1.1, then V1.0, but won't use SSL V3.
However ... the New Site works with TLS V1.2, but if your computer can't do that, for example it's browser/operating system doesn't have it, or it has been 'switched off' in the browser settings ( some browser add-ons do this, it seems), you are stuck, as the site seems to not 'drop down' to any lesser setting, even TLS V1.1.
I don't know whether Mike (Mrix) intentionally set this, or whether it's just an 'out the box' setting, and you modify if you want/need/know how to. But it will prevent access to the Forum for some people, I'm sure. And there is no helpful warning to tell you why, or what actions you could take, just some browser message about cyphers.

As an additional test, my friend has some add-on to his own PC's web browser (Firefox), which let him turn on/off all these "sockets" (as they are called), and he tried a few settings, and they seemed to confirm what "SSL Analyser" said. Old site is flexible, new site isn't.

But anyway, He's installed a newish browser, but a 'clean' install, not an upgrade, as he thought the add-ons I had may be the problem, and they stayed in place when I had previously upgraded.

So I'm finally able to get on the Forum, fingers-crossed it stays working properly for me....

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:37 pm

Cheers 'fusion' Thanks for the info and it's good t know you're now 'sorted' ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:50 am

Hello Fusion, really sorry to read the headache you have been having after the server migration :(
I completely missed your earlier reply in this thread rl;

To be honest when the server migration took place I was told by the host that it would go very smoothly with no problems, all settings and security would be the same and simply transferred across to the New server.
How wrong they were I have had no end of problems since the migration took place, so many settings were not changed ;;z
We are however finally getting back on track ::g

In answer to your question I did not specifically change the settings you speak of and it was simply running on which I guess is the new default.
Its a shame I did not notice you post a lot earlier as I could of resolved it quicker for you.

I cannot be totally sure but you have been the only members with this specific problem, I have not been contacted by anyone or seen any other posts on similar.
Really pleased you have at least managed to resolve the problem from your end ::g
Thanks
mrix

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:26 pm

My friend informs me that having the 'latest' TLS V1.2 is the wisest choice if a website deals with payments, eg. debit/credit card/PayPal sales, and many such sites will not 'drop down' to anything less. He thought a discussion forum doesn't need such high-level security, and any TLS version would suffice, which is presumably how MDF has been operating for many years.
But it's your website, so if no-one seems to have any issues with it, perhaps it's best left as set up.

I haven't tried uploading any photo's yet, should it now be all OK ? There's a link to a forum thread earlier in this thread about it, but it seems dead?

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Fusion wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:26 pm
My friend informs me that having the 'latest' TLS V1.2 is the wisest choice if a website deals with payments, eg. debit/credit card/PayPal sales, and many such sites will not 'drop down' to anything less. He thought a discussion forum doesn't need such high-level security, and any TLS version would suffice, which is presumably how MDF has been operating for many years.
But it's your website, so if no-one seems to have any issues with it, perhaps it's best left as set up.

I haven't tried uploading any photo's yet, should it now be all OK ? There's a link to a forum thread earlier in this thread about it, but it seems dead?
It’s all working well now Fusion, using hosting sites or direct on the site ::g
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks for confirming that it should work, OG, I have some correct-size pics on my PC, so I will experiment with this post.

Ooops. The option of adding an attachment isn't there ....

I've just successfully added a seal matrix pic to a post I made last month on the 'Maplin' thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98866&p=878230#p878230

I had the two tabs, 'options' and 'attachments' on that post.

But this post only has 'options' as a choice. Sigh. Is this the same issue as others had previously?
Last edited by Fusion on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:45 pm

Gawd i’ve had no issues at all. And technical stuff is above my pay grade (OK understanding, but don’t tell anyone x; ). Clear your computer cache (I get that level) and try again?

Otherwise I’m afraid it will need to wait till Mrix is next online. Sorry X(
XP Deus

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:10 am

I think it might be just this thread that the attachment tab is missing? Could be because it's an old thread? Or it's disabled in this thread specifically

All other posts seem to have it

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Albert Einstein

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:15 am

Good point, this is in the 'Admin Notice' sub-forum, maybe us plebians just don't have the privilege?

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:18 am

No you don’t, but I can post attachments on here =))
XP Deus

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:24 am

As thought, only for the privileged over Lords and Ladies

Shame there's not a smiley for doffing a cap :))
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Albert Einstein

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:25 am

So it seems everything's now OK for me. Thank You for your help.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:36 am

Fusion wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:26 pm

We do deal with paypal and payments on the auction site and MDF shop, maybe thats why that level is maintained
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Hello all, if you remember the MDF mid 2017 did have its security Compromised :(
My goal from that point was to have as much website and server software updated as possible and have as much security added as possible ::g
Hopefully everyone now are able to access the MDF, if anyone is aware of someone having a problem then please let me know ::g
Thanks all
mrix

Return to “Admin Notice”