Fisher CZ-5

Topics related to Fisher metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Fisher Videos
Greenlaningxt

Fisher CZ-5

Post by Greenlaningxt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi all

Have been looking for a starter machine as a replacement for an old Viking

The Viking has been great to get me hooked, but after an afternoon with another forum user I started to understand what I should be looking for.

Loads of reading later and I now own a Fisher cz-5 which I think is a good step.

If everything I have read is correct, it should be good for wet beaches and dry land.

Any tips I should be aware of?

I will be looking for a coil and control box covers but have not seen any yet. Anyone know if they are available, if not I will knock something up.

Thanks in advance

John

Mega B

Re: Fisher cz-5

Post by Mega B » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 pm

The CZ-5 is one of the all time classic Fisher machines,they can be pretty deep,but they are a very good all round detector.Folks who buy and master them very rarely part with them after.

In top condition they can command top money as well.

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Thanks for that

That's what I understood from all the reading.

Think looking around I paid a fair price for it.

Really looking forward to getting out with it.

Lots more scrap to find!!!! But you never know ::g

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:11 am

A quick question for the people that know about this machine.

Talking to someone they have said any fisher coil will fit, but from what I have read I don't think just any coil will work.

If I were to consider a larger coil, any ideas which one might work correctly.

Thanks for any info.

John

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 am

I think all CZ coils are interchangeable, so ones for CZ3, CZ70 will work.

The one potential problem with these machines is they can be badly adjusted from the factory, and also have the potential to go out of alignment over time. There's a large number of adjustable parts in them, and the only ways of getting one calibrated properly is to either send it to the Fisher factory in Texas, or independant expert Tom Dankowski in Florida. Neither option seems cheap.
If you can obtain a modern US 10 cent coin (clad dime), it should airtest the coin at 10 inches, and up to 12" on a really good example.
:(

Greenlaningxt

Re: Fisher CZ-5

Post by Greenlaningxt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Ok thanks for that, useful info.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:31 pm

And regarding larger coils, I recall there's a 10" one available, but its performance is not really much different to the standard-sized 8" one. Maybe the machine was designed for the 8", and that's why.
Take a look at the Dankowski Detectors site, there's some interesting articles, and some CZ-series specific ones ..'Fisher Intelligence' ., and a forum with some chat about them.
:(

bob79

Post by bob79 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Fusion wrote:I think all CZ coils are interchangeable, so ones for CZ3, CZ70 will work.

The one potential problem with these machines is they can be badly adjusted from the factory, and also have the potential to go out of alignment over time. There's a large number of adjustable parts in them, and the only ways of getting one calibrated properly is to either send it to the Fisher factory in Texas, or independant expert Tom Dankowski in Florida. Neither option seems cheap.
If you can obtain a modern US 10 cent coin (clad dime), it should airtest the coin at 10 inches, and up to 12" on a really good example.
Pentechnic are UK authorized repairer for Fisher, been repairing detectors since 1972.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:40 pm

I had a CZ-6 which is virually the same machine, it worked quite well on the beach but on land it had a few shortcomings, firstly they will give positive signals on largish rusty nails buried at depth, knocking these out will lose you small hammered coins as well, and the recovery speed in the prescence of iron was frankly very poor. A good machine on clean ground and it will match a lot of modern machines depth wise. I moved mine on.

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:40 am

Hi all. I still have a fisher cz5 ,a great machine for the wet beach or shallow water as stable and deep that's really the best use for it in my opinion. I have both coils the 8 " and the 10.5 " they are both deep i think the bigger coil is a little deeper ( on my machine ) only the cz coils can be used , Some spares are still around as the cz 21 is still made using both these coils so its possible to get coil covers, control both covers are not easy to get but you do see them sometimes for sale. I mount my box in a bag/ belt as with the 10.5 coil its pretty heavy. Its best to run in all metal then switch to ID on a target no false signals that way, but that's the way i use mine.hope that helps. HH beachboy70

deepdig

Post by deepdig » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Greenlaning xt the other half has 4 fisher cz-5 she has been detecting for 30 odd years and can keep up with the best she loves this fisher, the standard search coil is all you need.
Regards deepdig.

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Been on the beach with the CZ a couple of times now.

It sure can find stuff, tiny stuff you almost can not see, deep stuff you can't believe is so deep.

Taking a bit of time, but starting to work out how to understand what I am finding.

Still digging up a lot of scrap, seems the only way to get confident that what it says it's found is correct.

Guess once I am confident I will be able to start selecting what I dig and what I leave.

The pinpointer seems to work really well.

So happy so far, just need to find something that's not scrap and I will extremely happy. =))

John

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Mon May 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi All

Now been out on a couple of fields with some success, a musket ball being one.

Still very happy with the CZ, I am now after a control box cover.

Any suggestions where I might get one, have email a few companies with no reply.

Any help would be most welcome, before I run out of freezer bags!

Thanks

John

Lytle78

Post by Lytle78 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 pm

According to Dave Johnson who designed the CZ series, if they are correctly aligned from the factory, they show no particular tendency to go out of alignment.

Return to “Fisher Forum”