Fisher 1236x2

Topics related to Fisher metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Fisher Videos
Bobcromer

Fisher 1236x2

Post by Bobcromer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi everyone. I’ve acquired a fisher 1236x2. Only problem is the battery caps are missing. Ive come up with a solution but while having a quick look inside and removing the battery pod inserts it appears that only one side is wired up. The other side has no connection at all but still has the contact plates in side. The machine runs fine with just one battery in but would like to know from any fisher experts or users what may have happened to it. The manual says that it takes 2 9v batteries and even says when changing the batteries that both should be changed together. So is this a known modification or should I be thinking about investigating further to reinstate to its original spec. It does look as though it has been messed with and looks as though ine side has never been wired up. Will be greatfull if any opinions. Thanks

Bobcromer

Re: Fisher 1236x2

Post by Bobcromer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Correction it doesn’t look like it’s been messed with.**

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi Bob, ok after me answering, you have good news . Thats a relief . ::g

Bobcromer

Post by Bobcromer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi bors. Yeah sorry it’s still a strange one,it still only has one battery connected to the circuit board and can’t work out why the other is not connected to anything. What I meant was unlike some secound hand machines it doesn’t look as though it been bodged up and there’s no evidence that one side has ever been connected to anything so am flumaxed as to why it ever had two battery compartments. As far as the manual is concerned it needs two battery’s yet this one runs on 1 battery. 🤔. Can anybody shed some light on weather it was a common modification or should I be getting it looked at. Cheers

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:51 pm

it definitely uses two batteries I eventually discovered.
Last edited by Bors on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcromer

Post by Bobcromer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 pm

I decided to open it up have a proper look inside and it has become a bit clearer. One battery holder is wired up and one isn’t. After poking about I eventually traced the positive a negative wires intended for the connection to the 2nd battery holder. The 2nd holder that was free from wires showed no sign of solder on the contact plates and this is because the wires are held in place with snap on type terminal that basically clamps the wires. So it would appear that this machine will run and work on 1 9v battery but it is designed to run on 2x 9volt batteries.i assume that just running on 1 9v battery will only last half the time and won’t be as powerful. I hope that once ive wired it back up again it may get a bit more depth and last a bit longer. Interestingly while only working with one battery the battery test function still sounded loud and clear. So not sure if it’s a 9v Load that switches from the first battery to the secound or an18v load. Can just about remember something about Parallel and series wiring that might be the answer to why it runs on one battery. I enjoy a little bit of tinkering but anybody with any more info I would be greatfull to learn more.it may be useful to someone in he future. Many thanks.

sweepstick47

Re: Fisher 1236x2 rating

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:06 am

Hello Bob, ::g The series/parallel question:
2 x PP3 9 volt batteries connected in series produces 18 volts.
whereas if connected in parallel, they produce 9 volts but with double the mAh rating.

There are/were detectors that while having 2 power sources, one was purely to power the speaker so is it possible that with your one battery fitted the detecting function works as it should but the speaker is inop due to no power supply. Just a thought. Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Bobcromer

Post by Bobcromer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks sweepstick. That makes perfect sense. Looks like this detector is wired in parallel and just needs the 9v to operate, just better to have both batteries in to last longer. Everything seems to operate fine on just 1 battery including the speaker but guess it would just last half the time. Every one of the old fishers I’ve had to bits seem
To be wired in series with 8 aa batteries making 12v. I did notice that this 1236x2 was assembled in China so maybe just used different components to the older ones ie the 1266x 1265. Thanks again.

Bobcromer

Post by Bobcromer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 am

Good to know though that if I’m out detecting and battery dies I could nick the pp3 out if the pinpointer and keep going. ::g

salford44

Post by salford44 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:10 am

Hi,just seen your post,I own a Fisher 1236x2 and it does run on 2 batterys.Its a great detector so worth trying to fix.I know Pentechnic fixes older machines and have used him myself and he does a great job of servicing also,maybe give him a call and have a chat,if anyone can fix it he can.
FISHER 1236x2,FISHER 1270.

Bobcromer

Post by Bobcromer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Cheers Salford44, I’ve managed to wire it all back up and is all as it should be just waiting on some blanking grommets for the battery caps and should be great to go. The fiddly little latches on the original battery compartments looked as if they were going to be trouble from day one and easy to loose so this should be a sound fix. Il post pictures when they arrive. I absolutely agree with your suggestion on pentechnics. They realy are a great form and always help you out if they can. They just done a cz6 to 6a upgrade for a great price. No more pigtail headphone socket and now got 5 pin socket so can now buy a coil for it as the 4 pin ones are like hens teeth.😃😃

Return to “Fisher Forum”