settings for fisher F75

Topics related to Fisher metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Fisher Videos
wanny

settings for fisher F75

Post by wanny » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:34 pm

could anyone please help me out,
I'm looking for the best settings for my fisher F75,
I'm detecting on pasture land in Cumbria and a bit fed up with 'winging it' with the settings I've got the detector set at.
if any one can give me a rundown of their settings that would be great,

chesters4

Re: settings for fisher F75

Post by chesters4 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 am

Its just a switch on and go machine there are few settings only increases or decreases in what settings there are on view on the screen ,no menus to tweek as such
In clean fields i use gain as high as it will go without chatter ,3 tones ,disc 3 in jewellery mode.
In messy fields the same but in default mode.
I dont use boost it boosts the noise of the horse fences all around.
In very clean fields all metal is great on this machine .
Its a great detector once you master it ,a little noisy if its the non dst version but speaking to a couple of other f75 dst users a little deeper

Great using the stock coil !awsome using the detech ultimate!

There is a comprehensive techi writeup comparing it to a T2 out there somewhere it discusses the subtle changes in the machine when you use discrimination well worth a read

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:53 am

I am always wary of the "Best settings?" questions; without standing in your field with a detector in my hand, I can't truly say.
However, I personally favour dE mode, 4 tones, with Disc = "1". And don't go too high with the Sensitivity, set it at 75-80 if there's little electrical interference about.
And check your Ground Balance regularly, even pasture can vary from location to location.

wanny

Post by wanny » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:01 pm

thanks 'fusion', i'll give it a go , I know I have to have the sensitivity a bit lower cos of all the pylons over head.
also am I ground balancing right?, pull back the toggle and hold til it does its thing whilst moving it up and down? x;

Chalkey1

Post by Chalkey1 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:21 am

hi there,,i run mine on sens 75,tones 2l,disc 12,no notch,de mode.have found some brilliant stuff hammerds,bronze age axe head,tons of coppers.it doesnt like wet sand much though
Fisher F75

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri May 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Interesting choice of disc, there. I would never use such a value, you are almost in the middle of the 'sensitivity hole', and you're probably losing several inches depth as a result.

The 'hole' is from Disc=1 up to about Disc=24, where sensitivity falls off a lot, and then returns. The centre region, 10,11,12 is the worst.
I have a chart somewhere, I will find it and post it up.

Chalkey1

Post by Chalkey1 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:54 pm

i hear what you say but it works for me,the tiny commonwealth coin was a good 8 inches & a 13th c jetton this week was at least that,granted the field was ploughed about 3 month ago & allowed to settle,it had a nice crust on it but black ada could push through a foot no prob.be interested to see the chart though cheers chalkey
Fisher F75

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Here's the chart I made, not long after I got the machine.
The 5p coin is the cupro-nickel one, the Ni-plated steel ones weren't produced at the time.
I couldn't get good readings for Disc = 0,1,2 due to electrical interference. And there's no values for the 5p above Disc = 22, as it gets disced out at 23/24.
JE (Jewellery) mode doesn't have this 'hole' , it's pretty flat through the range. With my preferred setting of Disc = 1, the sensitivity is about the same as in JE mode.
One potentially useful feature of the 'hole' is if you're having Interference problems, you can use it as an effective way off quietening the machine, in addition to reducing sensitivity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:07 pm

I use 85 ish sensitivity as more than this it hears the horse fences and default with descrimination either 3 or 11 depending on how many nails there are.
In one field i can use jew mode with my ultimate coil as theres no horsefences for a mile but its hard work as its Very sensitive to iron flakes (field had a forge on it long ago)
I used to use 3 tone but stumbled across the fact it can tell me the difference between tabs and £1 coins (tabs come in as a jumping lowertone and nickel tone for ring pulls and jumping nickel tone with higher tone for £1 ) in 4 tones .This means in the high grass i have at the moment i can concentrate on finding £1 coins before the change machine stops excepting them at the bank along with the copper and silver ofcourse .
My machine is the non DST version so it hears horse fences easily (unusable if their less than 50 yards away and annoying up to 100 yards!).
Its not a complicated machine but has quirks that take a little time to get used to especially with the descrimination settings
There is a very detailed report 'out there' which gives a detailed refference to how the descrimination cuircuit effects the machine in use ,well worth a browse for
Generally if you finding cupro 5ps and blown plated 1ps your not missing much

Return to “Fisher Forum”