Fisher 1266X background noise-how much is normal?

Topics related to Fisher metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Fisher Videos
Pathfinder1977

Fisher 1266X background noise-how much is normal?

Post by Pathfinder1977 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Ive just bought a Fisher 1266X, after hearing they had a good reputation, but havent owned any Fishers before, so wonder if fellow owners can offer their experience on the background noise these machines produce.

Mine makes a lot of 'd-d-d-d-d-d-d-d' chatter when it is just switched on and held up in the air. This background noise comes in on Disc1 setting 0 when the Sensitivity button is turned more than 3/4 way around (ie past 3 O'Clock) and much earlier in Disc2 setting 0 when the Sensitivity button is almost halfway (ie between 10 and 11 O'Clock). Altering the discrimination in either Disc mode makes no difference to when the noise starts. I did test a bronze 1p coin, a silver penny and a silver cut farthing on the floor and they gave a clear signal so the machine is working in that respect. I also switched the light off in case that was causing interference but no change.

I havent been outside with it yet because there is a break in the white (bottom) half of the spider coil casing, which is over 1.5 inches long and runs down the side and then along the rim at ground level. No plastic is missing though, so this could be repaired with some epoxy resin to make the coil watertight again. Only then will I take it outside.

My question to you 1266 users is: Do these machines normally make so much background noise at the settings quoted above, or do you think thats far too much and there is a coil or circuit malfunction? The manual says ''You will hear some faint background chatter when you put Sensitivity on maximum'', but I wouldnt say this noise was faint, and it starts well before maximum sensitivity -especially on Disc2. (in the latter case I could hardly hear a silver cut farthing through all the noise).
What do your 1266s sound like? Same, or quieter?

Patience
Persistence (sometimes sheer pigheadedness)
A good detector
Fully charged batteries

Blackadder43

Re: Fisher 1266X background noise-how much is normal?

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:49 pm

I dont own one of these but if you stick any machine "up in the air" then they will chatter, they will be collecting every piece of EMI in the area
Phone masts, mobiles, wifi, electric cables etc etc
with adjustment to the sensitivity it should calm down once the coil is an inch above the ground where it belongs
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:51 pm

It's a long time since I had a 1266X but you have 2 obvious problems. First you are trying it inside which will always cause problems, it needs to be outside. Secondly you have a damaged coil that is open to letting in moisture or could be damaged inside. I would be sending it back if the coil is damaged as it is usually something that can not be repaired and needs replacing.

You need to eliminate those problems and try again.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Pathfinder1977

Post by Pathfinder1977 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:47 pm

OK thanks for that.
Ive just tried an interesting experiment though. I disconnected the seach coil from the control box, then tried turning the machine on. This time the machine stayed silent on Disc1 setting O when I turned up the sensitivity button (pulled out), and the only background noise was a smooth, quietish, unbroken tone, which didnt appear until right at the top end of Sensitivity (say at about 5 O'Clock). On the other hand, doing the same with the Sensitivty button pushed in (deep search), the old background 'd-d-d-d-d-d' appeared again, but then only faintly and only appeared at the very top end of the Sensitivity (5 O'Clock).

This is more like what the manual suggested should happen. I know its not conclusive because the coil wasnt connected so the unit is not fully operational, but if there was a fault then it would suggest the problem -if it exists- is likely to be the coil, or any point up the control box connector plug.
Patience
A good detector
Fully charged batteries

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:49 pm

To be fair you are not being fair to the machine
You need to conduct these experiments out in the field where you would use it too

I wouldnt get too wrapped up with it having a problem until you fix the coil and get yourself into a field
Good luck though
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:12 pm

Is it the coil or a clip on coil cover Thats cracked ?

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:03 pm

I have a 1265 which is the same board minus three air four components.

Mine is unstable without the coil.

In the house with a coil there is no chatter until its towards the max sensitivity.
Last edited by Koala on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pathfinder1977

Post by Pathfinder1977 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Koala wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:12 pm
Is it the coil or a clip on coil cover Thats cracked ?
Bingo! It seems it is just the coil cover that is cracked, which explains why there is a deliberate gap between black and white sections where water can readily run in (if it was all meant to be a sealed unit this wouldnt be waterproof would it). But the penny never dropped. Probably what misled me was I was under the impression this machine had 2 search coils (so wrongly assumed one coil was set in the black section and the other in the white).
Let this be a lesson. Thats what comes of only seeing pics of a detector and never seeing an example of it in real life!
Durr! rl;
Patience
A good detector
Fully charged batteries

Pathfinder1977

Post by Pathfinder1977 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:49 pm
To be fair you are not being fair to the machine
You need to conduct these experiments out in the field where you would use it too

I wouldnt get too wrapped up with it having a problem until you fix the coil and get yourself into a field
Good luck though
Many thanks Blackadder43. Youre quite right -will get out in the field asap. 'Coil' problem solved -koala has correctly pointed it out -as just now has the person who I just bought the machine from.
Thanks for your good wishes! :D
Patience
A good detector
Fully charged batteries

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:49 pm

I run mine with disc 2 as the main discrimination. This I set so I am digging a slight bit of iron

On mine its a hair above 4

Disc 1 I set below this. If the field hasn't got many targets it will be at 0 all metal most of the time its around 3.

The lower the setting the easier it locks onto a faint target.

When you find a target sweep quicker over it. Listen to any change in tone in you headphones. Deep iron will sound worse with a faster sweep.

Also the pinpoint mode also helps to eliminat digging iron. Iron Wil cause the detector to beep way before and after the coil is over the target so you get a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep instead of a beep.

It really likes these dry conditions. However it doesn't like water logged field especially if cow poo and coke is thrown into the mix.

Dont worry about the low freqency and gold. It picks up a tiny 1.6 g gold ring no problem.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:55 pm

I have started experimenting on waterlogged fields. It would appear that turning the sensitivity down so it runs super stable is the way to go. Doubt I will putting it to the test yet.

Pathfinder1977

Post by Pathfinder1977 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 pm

Tried mine outside for the first time today. Sure enough, no background noise present until you go right up to max sensitivity! Thanks for your help guys, the tips are much appreciated.

Tried a spot where I've not searched before. Amazed by how many signals there were, and thats with the sensitivity button pulled out. Its a case of learning to sort through them all. Lots of small junk at this spot (foil, nails, bottlecap, etc) but it did find a lead bullet which could be fairly old (about 22 calibre with 4 or 5 parallel grooves around it) and a metal button cover or cap of some sort (silver- coloured but tested negative for silver, so chrome?). That has iron inside it, its half an inch across, and gave a really good signal at nearly 3 inches deep with Disc 2 setting 5. Definately not iron -it surfaced all black and the black rubs off or scratches off with fingernails to show bright silver beneath.

It shows the machine is working well and can do the biz - I can see why it gets the good reviews. Of course you have to learn its ways to get the best from it, like any machine, but this all comes with reading the manual carefully, use, and time. Right now while Im learning will continue using Garrett Mk I probe which helps speed up find recovery, though with much more practice I suspect its possible with this machine to manage without one. And yes I did see how very wide the signal area is when it passed over iron in pinpoint mode!
Patience
A good detector
Fully charged batteries

Return to “Fisher Forum”