Fisher F22 sensitivity issue

Topics related to Fisher metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Fisher Videos
Trev

Fisher F22 sensitivity issue

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:04 pm

I have had my Fisher F22 for a few years now. I don't use it on a regular basis, so it doesn't get much use. When I first had the F22 it had to go back to Joan Allen because it developed a problem where it was beeping constantly and was just completely over sensitive to anything. Joan Allen were very good and repaired it very quickly. It has been working fine since, until today. I have just been out detecting on meadowland, a couple of times it just kept emitting a beep as if it had detected something. Even if you held it high in the air it still beeped. There were no power cables nearby, no fences, I checked the coil connections, I checked the coil was clean and free from debris. None of this worked. I lowered the sensitivity but it did not change anything. I turned it off and started walking home. After about 5 mins I turned it back on, it worked fine. I walked into a wood and started detecting, after about 20 mins same problem occurred. Is this a fault or am I doing something wrong ?

Bors

Re: Fisher F22 sensitivity issue

Post by Bors » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Sounds as if You could have been picking up the transmitting pulses of an Electrical cattle fence. The Electrical Cattle fence emits a constant "pulse "of electric through its wire about every ten seconds . Its possible you were picking that up maybe ?.
Your detector like anyone else`s is a receiver of signals as well as a sender of signals . So this is why we get problems with picking up electric signals from such things as Electric fences or even mobile phones .
When you got those beeps ,was it only for a while till you moved out of the area you were detecting around or did the Beeps stay on for the length of time you detected all the time where ever you went ,assuming you didn`t stay in the same place all the time. ?
If it was still beeping where ever you went , it sounds like an Internal fault in the detector.Or the coil even . The electric fence pulsating you can receive ,will only have a receiving distance of about 30 yards from the fence .If you go out of that distance from one ,the pulsating will cease to be picked up.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Forgot to mention also . Check the wire from the Coil to where it enters the the Control box hasn`t come a bit loose, Give it a tighten ,and rattle the wire slightly around where the Wire goes into the coil. See if the same sound come through the head phones. All your then doing is eliminating possibilities.

Trev

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for your response. There are no electric fences for about 1/4 of a mile, when the fault occurred it continued to beep even when you walked away I even held the detector high in the air. On the way back I passed by the area where the fault had occurred, I had no problem this time it worked fine. I have lost confidence in the F22 I am thinking of buying a minelab. I would still like to keep the F22 as a second detector.

I did indeed check the coil connections, I unwound the lead and reconnected it. I think I will take it out and try again, if it displays the same fault I will try uncoupling the coil see if that stops it.

Thanks again for your help.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:35 pm

No probs. It certainly sounds like the detectors faulty .

Return to “Fisher Forum”