Fisher developing the metal detector of the future?

Topics related to Fisher metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Fisher Videos
Euro Detector

Fisher developing the metal detector of the future?

Post by Euro Detector » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Just read on a blog that Fisher is developing a new metal detector capable of showing an image of the object in the ground, its condition, type of metal, and worth :-/
Did anybody else hear anything about this? Probably a hoax.

We are making a smart metal detector that will search all by itself (without control on the part of a hunter) and show a picture of a find before it is dug up. In a perfect world, it will also estimate the condition of the find. The price for this metal detector will be up to $2000. In order to make such a smart machine, we have planned to release 15 new models, each of which will be a step towards our goal…
fisher.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Euro Detector on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Euro Detector
XP Deus 3.2 with control unit, 11" coil, WS4 + XP MI-6 pinpointer
Metal detecting is like time travelling.

JBM

Re: Fisher developing the metal detector of the future?

Post by JBM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Lets see its October the 3rd for a minute I thought we had moved forward to April 1st. ;) :) Jerry.

Euro Detector

Post by Euro Detector » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:43 pm

JBM wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:38 pm
Lets see its October the 3rd for a minute I thought we had moved forward to April 1st. ;) :) Jerry.
Yes, probably a hoax Jerry. ::g Anyway, always time for a good laugh. =))
Euro Detector

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:44 pm

I haven't seen the source of this, but it sounds like utter tosh to me, and possibly underhand marketing if it really does originate from Fisher. Read between the lines, and it's really nothing more than a statement of an ambition that's universally shared but still far remote from the state of the art in the real world.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, though.

Barry
Primary: XP Deus
Backup: C.SCOPE CS6MXi
"We have left undug those things which we ought to have dug; And we have dug those things which we ought not to have dug; And there is no wealth in us."

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Is it also self-propelling and has an automatic spade? Balderdash!
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Hoax or not, I can't think of anything more boring than a machine that did this. i read it and thought: Where's the fun in that? A bit like geo-fizzzz on Time Team saying they were moving towards making having to dig unnecessary. 8-|
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Well just because I can do this, I made a photocopy, took it to the workshop, placed it on my workbench and reverse engineered the whole caboodle, but couldn't get it to work at all. It's probably due to a fault in the 'printed circuits! Back to the drawing board methinks!
Keep smiling :D :D ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

vladorado

Post by vladorado » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:56 pm

What a lovely present for my grandson's 85th birthday! :))
CTX 3030 with 6", 11" and 17" coils. Minelab Pro-find 35, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Nokta Waterproof Pointer.
ALL THE GEAR, NO IDEA!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:54 pm
Phil, this is the delux version that I am getting. As you say it is self-propelling and has an automatic spade, additionally comes with a remote control so that I can sit in my front room by the fire watching TV and having a beer when its cold and wet outside, but still go metal detecting at the same time using the remote control facility and direct TV link (works at up to 20 miles range).

I will even offset some of the $2000 cost by not needing to buy a big finds pouch as I will never dig any scrap.

I understand that in the top secret tests they are already digging hammies at 2 metres, but the long term aim is to find targets of this size at 5 metres.

For those that really want to splash out there will be an "international" version that instead of the standard remote control facility and direct TV link uses satelite links enabling the UK detectorist to go gold prospecting in Australia, or any other part of the world, from the comfort of their home in the UK. This obviously has massive cost savings for UK detectorists and is also good for the environment as it avoids the need for air miles and all the associated polution.

Evan

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:10 pm

It's been delayed a little. The standard coil is getting false beeps from picking up aircraft in a five mile radius.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 pm

The detector of the future would be like one of those automatic grass cutter/ hoover things ... when it gets a bleep it sprays a blob of paint on a best guess basis ... you set it off in the evening and return the next morning to recover the finds.
Blue for Brass
Red for silver
and a little flag for gold ..
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
The thing has already been invented!!! just got to add a coil to the underside of an automated grass cutter, add a can of spray paint to mark the beeps ... and off it goes. We are effectively already redundant. Thats the beauty of technology ... we get to scoff in front of the TV, live a very very long life ... and die in a nursing home being fed baby food one end, and nappies changed the other. Its called progress!! -=+:-P -=+:-P -=+:-P

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:10 pm
It's been delayed a little. The standard coil is getting false beeps from picking up aircraft in a five mile radius.
And if its a Ryanair flight the beeps keep getting cancelled!!

Euro Detector

Post by Euro Detector » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 pm
The detector of the future would be like one of those automatic grass cutter/ hoover things ... when it gets a bleep it sprays a blob of paint on a best guess basis ... you set it off in the evening and return the next morning to recover the finds.
Blue for Brass
Red for silver
What a sight that would be -=+:-P Hilarious

Jokes aside though, the basic technology to develop this type of machine already exists. There is GPR (ground penetrating radar/sonar) - which needs some additional research as it currently only shows 2D rendered images), we have robots that can navigate on their own in an area (like the lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners). I'm not questioning that this thing will ever be made, the question is when. :-/ Will probably take another 20 years (I hope). A business with a lot of money, ambition and the right people could make this happen. It would take the fun and 'element of surprise' out of metal detecting though, so it's not for me. If somebody said 20-30 years ago that one day we would have cars that could navigate and drive on their own, many would have called him a sod. Look at the car developments at Tesla nowadays.
Euro Detector

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Euro Detector wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:25 pm
oldartefact wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 pm
Blue for Brass
Red for silver
What a sight that would be -=+:-P Hilarious

Jokes aside though, the basic technology to develop this type of machine already exists. There is GPR (ground penetrating radar/sonar) - which needs some additional research as it currently only shows 2D rendered images), we have robots that can navigate on their own in an area (like the lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners). I'm not questioning that this thing will ever be made, the question is when. :-/ Will probably take another 20 years (I hope). A business with a lot of money, ambition and the right people could make this happen. It would take the fun and 'element of surprise' out of metal detecting though, so it's not for me. If somebody said 20-30 years ago that one day we would have cars that could navigate and drive on their own, many would have called him a sod. Look at the car developments at Tesla nowadays.
If i were a land owner its what I would do ... why give my stuff to a detectorist, when I can buy a machine to cut them out. The fun element of detecting could be maintained by programming the machine to ignore certain targets, so that paying members of the public can have a go at finding them manually.

targets

Post by targets » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:35 pm

with AI coming along in future years i wouldnt rule anything out even though it seems preposterous now ..the state of the art moves ever onwards..
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Saffron wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 pm
Phil2401 wrote:
Phil, this is the delux version that I am getting. As you say it is self-propelling and has an automatic spade, additionally comes with a remote control so that I can sit in my front room by the fire watching TV and having a beer when its cold and wet outside, but still go metal detecting at the same time using the remote control facility and direct TV link (works at up to 20 miles range).

I will even offset some of the $2000 cost by not needing to buy a big finds pouch as I will never dig any scrap.

I understand that in the top secret tests they are already digging hammies at 2 metres, but the long term aim is to find targets of this size at 5 metres.

For those that really want to splash out there will be an "international" version that instead of the standard remote control facility and direct TV link uses satelite links enabling the UK detectorist to go gold prospecting in Australia, or any other part of the world, from the comfort of their home in the UK. This obviously has massive cost savings for UK detectorists and is also good for the environment as it avoids the need for air miles and all the associated polution.

Evan
Love it, Evan :)

What a perfect thing for a nighthawker - send the machine out on all the scheduled sites and wait for it to come back with the goodies. Who's going to prosecute a machine if it gets caught?

On a more serious note as posted by others, where's the challenge / fun / satisfaction in letting a machine remove the need for a human brain? I'd give up the hobby altogether if anything like this were ever introduced. Technological advances are often helpful, but this ridiculous idea would be a step too far. Personally I'm happy if I dig ten holes and find one artefact. Or none - it's still fresh air, good company, good scenery and a good walk - it's not all about the finds.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Euro Detector

Post by Euro Detector » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Phil2401 wrote:

What a perfect thing for a nighthawker - send the machine out on all the scheduled sites and wait for it to come back with the goodies. Who's going to prosecute a machine if it gets caught?

On a more serious note as posted by others, where's the challenge / fun / satisfaction in letting a machine remove the need for a human brain? I'd give up the hobby altogether if anything like this were ever introduced. Technological advances are often helpful, but this ridiculous idea would be a step too far. Personally I'm happy if I dig ten holes and find one artefact. Or none - it's still fresh air, good company, good scenery and a good walk - it's not all about the finds.

Phil
Fully agree, Phil - well spoken. ::g
Euro Detector

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:05 pm

The Deus is advanced enough for me, and im talking just as much about the ergonomics as anything else. Easy to use and I still have the suspense of not knowing if it's a lovely coin or a cow tube lol. It makes the good finds all that much more rewarding.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:52 pm
Saffron wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:59 pm
Phil2401 wrote:

Evan

Phil
Advances in technology have only one aim .. to increase the finds rate ... as efficiently as possible.. Wasnt it the luddites who complained that the automated harvester did them out of a job? But 200 years on nobody is queuing up to do it by hand.

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:06 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 pm
Advances in technology have only one aim .. to increase the finds rate ... as efficiently as possible.. Wasnt it the luddites who complained that the automated harvester did them out of a job? But 200 years on nobody is queuing up to do it by hand.
[/quote]

As a Yorkshireman from the centre of the (former) woollen industry I'm not sure if I'm insulted or humbled by the Luddite reference but I suggest a better analogy might be for instance the introduction of calculators in the 60s / 70s - when I was at school we relied on mental arithmetic, although a few of the clever clogs had slide rules. The advance of technology is no doubt unstoppable and inevitable, but if you take human interpretation out of the equation then we will eventually get to a situation in which thinking or instinct are unnecessary and the machines will rule the world. No shortage of novels / films on that theme.

This is all lighthearted stuff but I stand by my previous comments - I don't want a machine that does all the thinking for me - I want to make my own decisions, usually get it wrong but occasionally get it right.

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Phil2401 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:06 pm
oldartefact wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 pm
As a Yorkshireman from the centre of the (former) woollen industry I'm not sure if I'm insulted or humbled by the Luddite reference but I suggest a better analogy might be for instance the introduction of calculators in the 60s / 70s - when I was at school we relied on mental arithmetic, although a few of the clever clogs had slide rules. The advance of technology is no doubt unstoppable and inevitable, but if you take human interpretation out of the equation then we will eventually get to a situation in which thinking or instinct are unnecessary and the machines will rule the world. No shortage of novels / films on that theme.

This is all lighthearted stuff but I stand by my previous comments - I don't want a machine that does all the thinking for me - I want to make my own decisions, usually get it wrong but occasionally get it right.

Phil
[/quote]
Yes technology is taking over ... and one day soon when we're surrounded by robotic tractors ... we are going to look well out of place wafting our wands. whether we like it or not technology is marching forward quicker that we can throw a spindle whorle into the circuit boards.

Return to “Fisher Forum”