Is this a good deal?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab GO-FIND metal detector within this forum.
Emma78

Is this a good deal?

Post by Emma78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 am

I'm in the market for a basic metal detector, my first, and I've been offered a second hand go find ( not sure at the moment which version) for £70. Is this likely to be a good price? My budget is small.

Would really love some advice on this as don't want to waste my money.
Thanks.

littleboot

Re: Is this a good deal?

Post by littleboot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:47 am

I think you need to get the info as to which version it is first. There is quite a price difference within the range. If its a 20, its not a particularly good deal. If its the 60 then it is (as long as in reasonable nick of course).
You say your budget is small....and its easy for people to advise you to put more money into buying. But you alone know what you are comfortable spending especially on a first machine and not knowing how the hobby will go for you. So in this case, whatever version it is (if its the 20 I would haggle) it is a machine from an extremely well-respected manufacturer and knows its business. For a budget under 100 pounds the options are limited even in the secondhand sphere and you could end up with something very old, very worn, or very Chinese.... or just unsuitable. This is safe ground and will be fun to use.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Emma78

Post by Emma78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks. I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me with more information so I'll see what he says.

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Hello Emma78 - do you know the person offering you the machine or is it from a sale site? Regardless of the price, if you can, it would be wise to have someone with experience have a look at the machine.

Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

Emma78

Post by Emma78 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:44 pm

So I have a bit more info. Still not confirmed but it's either a 66 or a 40. The guy selling is someone who answered some questions on the Facebook detecting site I joined. I don't know anyone who detects so I'm on my own with regards to looking it over.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 pm

Emma where do you live (broad area only needed)?
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 23 B-)

Emma78

Post by Emma78 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 am

Oxgirl36 I'm in Essex.

Emma78

Post by Emma78 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:40 am

Ok. So it's a go find 66. He's sent a couple of pictures which I can add later but obviously they don't show it working.
Any thoughts?

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 am

Its an entry level machine that retails at around £200 new.

I wouldn`t buy it without at least testing it turns on first.

If you can meet the vendor and test it first, take it outside of a house (too much interference) and see if it works.

Take a bit of metal to test it with , not a modern coin as they are steel cored monkey metal.

It won`t get a signal at any great distance from the target, don`t believe all the "This coin was 18 inches deep" rubbish.

If it works and detects metal then Bobs your Uncle! ::g

Then you will just need somewhere to go................. you MUST get the landowners permission and all land is owned by someone.

Crown Estate gives permissive access to some beaches.

Most councils/parks etc are no go areas.
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

dig-dog

Post by dig-dog » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 am
Its an entry level machine that retails at around £200 new.

I wouldn`t buy it without at least testing it turns on first.

If you can meet the vendor and test it first, take it outside of a house (too much interference) and see if it works.

Take a bit of metal to test it with , not a modern coin as they are steel cored monkey metal.

It won`t get a signal at any great distance from the target, don`t believe all the "This coin was 18 inches deep" rubbish.

If it works and detects metal then Bobs your Uncle! ::g

Then you will just need somewhere to go................. you MUST get the landowners permission and all land is owned by someone.

Crown Estate gives permissive access to some beaches.

Most councils/parks etc are no go areas.
All of this is excellent advice. Take note.
Hope it all works out for you

DD ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:05 pm

For this model it is a good deal. The Go Finds are pretty robust. The lad who bought one of our GMPs a few months ago had a Go Find and brought it with him. For the money I thought it was neat little machine. Very simple to use and it responded well to most of the targets I was testing the GMP over. So Go and Find with it. It was designed for newbies and there are plenty of vids on Youtube to peruse to help you get started with it.
And if you enjoy the hobby then, after a while, you could either sell it on for pretty much what you paid or keep it as a back-up machine or one for friends and family to use. ::g
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 pm

At £70 it looks a very good deal. In fact, I can't find another on sale or auction sites that's even close. You may just have struck lucky and someone is doing you a good turn but as suggested, a second opinion may help. Sorry to cast doubt but as you have a fixed budget I think it needs a bit of caution.

Return to “Minelab GO-FIND Forum”