Go-Find 40 Thoughts

Only for the discussion of the Minelab GO-FIND metal detector within this forum.
bunman

Go-Find 40 Thoughts

Post by bunman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:57 pm

I bought the Go-Find 40 for my son who had been using my old C-Scope 3MX. We took it along a riverbank to try it out and see how well it performed.

To start off with, I love how compact the Minelab packs down, this makes it much easier for me or my son to transport (I don't drive). I also think this will be an ideal detector to take on short trips. The build is pretty good, it does feel a bit plasticky but it is pretty solid. One concern of mine is how long the arm cup extension will keep clicking into place nice and tightly. It might be perfectly fine, but I do wonder if the plastic notches will wear and the mechanism will loosen up. The screen is nice and uncluttered and you can have it backlit. I picked the 40 over the 20 due to the larger coil and also for the pinpoint (more on this later) and the bluetooth. I think it also has an extra tone over the 20. As for not getting the 60, I didn't see anything overly special to warrant the extra £60-£70. I might be doing it a mis-justice, but the only extras I noted were- the pro version of the app, an extra tone and the ability to discriminate one more section (I only ever discriminate iron and wouldn't have a use for the extra notch of discrimination). I tried the blutooth with my phone, but I don't really see me using it much. I like the ability to use GPS and see where my finds are, but that was about the only part of the app I would use. One thing my son doesn't like about the Go-Find is the pinpoint mode. The 3MX pinpoint is non motion, so it is easy to accurately find the exact spot. However, I think the Go-Find uses motion to pinpoint which my son struggled to get the hang of. He found pinpoint mode only marginally more accurate than using the standard mode.

I air tested the Go-Find, but in my house and garden, I had to turn down the sensitivity to its lowest setting and usually got about 4-5 inches before it would pick up a coin. Not a great way to test I know, but it left me not overly impressed. However, in real use, I ate humble pie. Down at the riverside, we had the Go-Find one notch away from the highest setting. Full sensitivity would give lots of false signals, but one level down gave us a stable setting. Our first find was a modern ring pull, 6 inches down. Then another older style ring pull, this was at least 8 inches down. We then found part of an old paraffin lamp (the mechanism for raising and lowering the wick). The hole was deep enough to fit the full length of my XP pinpointer! The last item we found was an 1886 Queen Victoria halfpenny, that was 7-8 inches down.

So, I have to say, I'm very impressed with the performance. I can definitely see me leaving the Deus at home and just taking the Go-Find for all the family to use.

XP Deus
XP MI-6 Pointer
C.Scope CS3MX
Minelab Go-Find 40 (my sons)
Viking 1 (my daughters)
Lucky Pants!

mrix
Founder

Re: Go-Find 40 Thoughts

Post by mrix » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Hello on release there was a lot of flak given to these machines as they appeared too flimsy and a little O.T.T. in cosmetic style, from what I hear they have however become very popular and as you say the performance seems pretty good.
thanks for the feedback
mrix

bunman

Post by bunman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:12 pm

The depth could be to do with the light, sandy soil. I'll take it with me next time I'm on farm land. That should be a bit more interesting.

I can see why it got flak, even the brochure is a bit cheesy with kids jumping in the air with their Go-Find strapped to their arm! Their marketing department obviously wanted to try and tap into the family/kid market. I quite like the look of it, but I can see why many think it looks like a toy. I even remember getting snobby looks from a couple of guys at a dig, when I had my Garrett 150.
XP Deus
XP MI-6 Pointer
C.Scope CS3MX
Minelab Go-Find 40 (my sons)
Viking 1 (my daughters)
Lucky Pants!

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Any tests you do even in air try them when you are away from the Garden and house as you are likely to pick up a lot of outside interference.
mrix

Return to “Minelab GO-FIND Forum”