New to detecting quest q20 help

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Dingle

New to detecting quest q20 help

Post by Dingle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 pm

So as the title reads I'm new to this hobby and have plenty of permissions on farmland perks of the job luckily anyway I've purchased a quest q20 and have used it in jewelry mode someone has suggested running in all metal as ill miss most targets , so anyone familiar with this machine that can recommend a decent setting to run on all metal discrimination and so forth thank you

cantona1

Re: New to detecting quest q20 help

Post by cantona1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:49 pm

I have the Q40 and love it, it doesn't miss much :D I'd probably start off in All Metal and dig everything until you get to understand the machine then Jewellery mode works well for me. All Metal will be very chattery so don't think there's anything wrong with the machine, you'll probably have to tweak the sensitivity to suit your fields because each one is different. Make sure to ground balance every now again but most importantly trust what the machine is telling you it really doesn't miss very much,

Don't ignore signals around 40-50, it can be tin foil but could also be a hammy
Scratchy Signals could be coke but can also be good deep items, take a scoop of soil and scan it again, sometimes the tone alters completely.
Signals around 90 sound great but usually end up being coke cans.
Solid 80-85 is normally a copper coin or similar item, maybe a buckle etc.
Don't expect all the good stuff to have a lovely ring quite often the best signals can be aluminium, foil, big washers, lead and all sorts of junk, my best finds have been between 49 and 85, spend a few weeks digging junk and you'll soon learn the machine. Half the time you know you're going to dig junk, BUT you can't ignore the signal just in case.......

Good luck and don't be surprised if you dig lots of rubbish to start with, at least you'll be cleaning the trash from your fields making the good stuff easier to find.
Cantona1

cantona1

Re: New to detecting quest q20 help

Post by cantona1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:56 pm

Currently using these settings
Jewellery mode
Sensitivity at 75-85, depends on the field
Tones on 4
FeSen off
GB on my fields normally is about 49
0-20 discriminated out

She finds some very small bits and bobs so you would probably find a pin pointer very useful.

Good hunting
Cantona

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”