Q20 & Q40 Secret Code to Fix Chattering on these Two Quest Detectors

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Tony Hunt

Q20 & Q40 Secret Code to Fix Chattering on these Two Quest Detectors

Post by Tony Hunt » Wed May 09, 2018 2:25 pm

WE RECENTLY Discovered a secret Code on the Q40 that also fixes Chattering Problems on the Q20.

To stop unnecessary chattering & interference on the Q20 & Q40.

People have unknowingly entered into a secret button press mode on these detectors while basically playing around with their settings. It was put there obviously at the Quest factory by the engineers for a reason and never got rid of.

To cure the problem

PRESS AND HOLD THE GROUND BALANCE BUTTON.
PRESS THE PINPOINT BUTTON THEN YOU WILL SEE ONE OF TWO VALUES ON THE SCREEN,
ED OR EO. YOU CAN SCROLL THESE TWO VALUES USING THE UP AND DOWN BUTTONS ON THE LEFT. YOU MUST HAVE THE LETTERS EO SHOWING WHICH WILL IMMEDIATELY CURE THE PROBLEM OF EXCESSIVE NOISE. EXIT THAT SCREEN AND JUST GO BACK TO YOUR NORMAL SETTINGS.

Our apologies for the confusion. Markey Mark Lawson who makes a lot of Quest videos found this by accident while playing with his Q40. I will be raising this issue and trying to get it removed on future stocks from the factory.

kenleyboy

Re: Q20 & Q40 SECRET CODE TO FIX CHATTERING ON THESE TWO QUEST DETECTORS

Post by kenleyboy » Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Works a treat . I had this "problem" with my Q40 . A few brain teasing phone calls and emails with Tony and then the man came up with this solution . No problems since and back to using the Q40 in a less chattery mode .

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks to you both for that, mine wasn't particularly chatty but handy to know. I must admit I really enjoy my Q40 and have found some lovely bits and pieces.

Now, if you can just get rid of all the flipping spuds on my permission I might even be able to use it :D

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Wed May 09, 2018 8:33 pm

the Q40 is an awesome machine, use it at least twice a week. if i walk over it, it WILL find it. very easy to get used to. have championed these machines since release and wouldnt be without it.
have a new permission and the Q40 gives me real confidence that i will get the best from it.

hoovers up coins like a champ. am even naming mine "henry".
will only leave it at home when i can afford the pro.

sponsor ship deal tony? :D
garret 400i "old faithfull" ::g
Quest Q40, The "coin hoover" awesome machine. ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Thu May 10, 2018 12:43 am

So how do we know that EO is better for performance? When I got the Q40 I removed the chatter by dropping sens to 75 and the results are impressive, so maybe that's how the machine should be used on average sites? Many machines are chatty on higher sens, and I haven't found the need for a hidden setting ??

Why should we need to stumble on a hidden setting to use the machines properly, or do we at all?, or is that just a way to pump up the sens, and what's to say that's going to result in better performance? It could be just a reduced power level.

I would like to think that the correct way to use it is the way it's set up when you buy it, and the engineers did the job right, rather than muck about with a setting that's not in the manual, then again, the one thing that worried me about the Q40 was how thin the manual was, hmmm.

I like the Quest Q40, as do many other people, but we need clarity on this matter from the manufacturer, not You Tubers.

ED or EO. Quest need to answer this properly.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 am

Response from Quest posted on FB page:-

Thanks for tag me. We can see post for this every month. The default setting is EO which is EMI elimination ON. Q20/40 are machine that don’t even need manual. Not to offend but they are designed to be simple machine. My suggestion is Don’t play with LCD. Just turn on and go detecting.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

Norman_invader

Post by Norman_invader » Thu May 10, 2018 10:28 am

I have agree with you Max,
My Q40 is a great machine,like you said "if I walk over metal,it Will find it !!! "
I have had finds 12" deep with raptor coil & without the need for any secret settings,
Proof of this last weekend on LGD dig in Norfolk,after 100/130 tectorists had hammered the pasture b4 me the Q40 still managed to winkle out 3 musket balls,jewellery mode,sense 70,TID 30+,AUTO GB,
As they say "if it ain't broke,don't try to fix it !! "
GL HH ::g
Year 1
Quest 40
Raptor coil
Makro pinpointer
Black Ada Spartan stainless spade
FID Member

kenleyboy

Re: Q20 & Q40 Secret Code to Fix Chattering on these Two Quest Detectors

Post by kenleyboy » Thu May 10, 2018 1:13 pm

I agree with all the above posts . My problem was that my machine was "broke" or at the least had a problem with the screen and the numbers and icons were bouncing all over the place and would not settle down . I had this problem a couple of times throughout its use but it seemed to settle down after a while .Unfortunatley it appeared to get steadily worse even dropping sensitivity right down and trying different frequencies didn't help matters .
The upshot was that Tony was more than willing to replace the entire unit but wanted me to try one more thing which was setting up the EO function . I just wonder if this is a factory set mode in place that just needed re setting to cure the problem . It seems to have done the job and so far I have had no more problems but if it does malfunction then as agreed it would be replaced . So far so good but quite why this is not in the manual is a little baffling .
I did pop a post on here regarding the matter but it seemed that nobody had experience of this problem so there was a fault in place which has now been rectified and I am now happily back using this great little machine , it is a joy to use and hopefully my issue was just a bit of bad luck .

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Tue May 29, 2018 4:58 pm

I took this question of the secret code up with Jason the owner of Quest and he has agreed to get his engineers to remove it from future production. It has been an unnecessary distraction and shouldnt have been left there for people to stumble on accidentally. As dealers for Quest it has caused us a lot of hassle explaining to everybody who had the problem how to quickly fix it. Its simply a two button press that didnt need to be there, New owners as they do are inquisitive and would possibly push buttons willy nilly to see what they did, lol. We are now putting a little advisory note in each box explaining what to do If they have a problem.

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Happy to report that I haven't had any further issues with my Q40 since I last spoke with Tony .The issue has been resolved and no doubt all that would have been required was to re set the factory setting .
As far as technical problems go I am one of probably many who do not understand of even have the patience with such things . I think I read on here back some time ago regarding which detector to choose to your temperament . I fell into the category of switch on and go so opted as a first machine the Garret Ace 250 which I still use now and again . The next step forward was another machine and it was forum member Dreadnought who was the first to review the Q40 and I was intrigued albeit a little dubious because to me it looked very technical . After some reassuring PM messages with Dreadnought and a willingness to have a chat on the phone if I got stuck with any problems setting it up , then he was kindly there at the end of the line to help and assist in such matters .

It is a purchase I haven't regretted although I did have a few minor problems at first but now its back doing the business and finding me some great stuff and without looking for Browny points , Tony was top marks in dealing with every aspect of the machine and the unfortunate problem that I had with it which gives any customer the confidence when purchasing goods .
We all have our own preferences to whatever machine we like to use and some will say this machine is better than that one and so on but it is all down to how you feel as a user of any machine , confidence in its ability as well as your own and as what has always been said , you got to walk over it find it .

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”