Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Post Reply
User avatar
cussler
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Hull
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by cussler » Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi everybody

Got a new toy last Friday,the Quest Q40 went to Bridlington beach with it on Saturday,not to bad but I think the beach mode is not that good it seems a lot better in coin mode with sensitivty turned down to around 60% not to much chatter on dry or wet sand. Still finding my way around this machine but having said that it is very intuitive to use On Monday went to one of my permission around Hull this field has been well searched over the years but this year there's no crop on it as yet. Had the small blade coil on and it did me proud ,the time line in this field is astonishing 1983 pound coin 1945 penny 1937 half penny 1925 sixpence musket balls 1883 small copper coins and hammered coin when I got home I ordered the 9 time 11 coil with a spare bottom stem because I think the blade coil is a bit small when your on a large farm .Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Got this machine 5 days ago and today received the larger coil when I came to put the larger coil on to my dismay I saw that the small coil lug was a shattered not just split but shattered I know I did not over tighten it because I like my coil to be able to move slightly anyway the small coil is on it's way back to Tony at Detectorbits to see what he thinks ,we'll see how it goes , it looks bad but if stick comes to lift I know how to repair it Image

Any ID on the Hammered and small coins would be much appreciated I dare not clean up the small copper ones because the patina is the coin and I think they would just disintegrate


Best Cussler


One day Rodders

Quest Q40 and a bit of luck

cantona1
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:00 pm
Location: Devon
Has thanked: 353 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by cantona1 » Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Nice going, looks like you're not missing much with it, They are very good for the money, I love mine ::g

User avatar
Allectus
Posts: 23621
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am
Location: Essexshire ;-)
Has thanked: 361 times
Been thanked: 1918 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by Allectus » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Edward III 'Florin'/third coinage London halfpenny. ::g


A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

User avatar
BAMBAM
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Gods own County
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by BAMBAM » Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Some good stuff there Stew .. well done.
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire
Semper exspectare et ecce subito!
(Always expect the unexpected!)
Detectors: XP ADX 250 | Garrett Pro-pointer

User avatar
cussler
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Hull
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by cussler » Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 pm

BAMBAM wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 pm
Some good stuff there Stew .. well done.
Brain your gold stater marker was only a few yards away from the hammered think the field not given all just yet

Stew
One day Rodders

Quest Q40 and a bit of luck

User avatar
BAMBAM
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Gods own County
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by BAMBAM » Wed May 16, 2018 9:31 pm

cussler wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 pm
BAMBAM wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 pm
Some good stuff there Stew .. well done.
Brain your gold stater marker was only a few yards away from the hammered think the field not given all just yet

Stew
Indeed that field has been neglected I think because of the WW2 camp rubble but I pulled 3 silver sixpences and old bale seals on sunday
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire
Semper exspectare et ecce subito!
(Always expect the unexpected!)
Detectors: XP ADX 250 | Garrett Pro-pointer

Mud Max
Posts: 554
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:53 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by Mud Max » Wed May 16, 2018 10:02 pm

The ground coverage is barely improved with the larger coil as most of the added size is in the width, so you gain practically nothing on the swing. It's deceptive because the width makes the large coil look bigger overall, but they are almost the same length.

It's a tad deeper but there's not much in it, and the balance is far better with the small coil. I like having them both but I enjoy using the little coil to be honest, the balance is better, as the big coil is a bit nose heavy, and you do notice the difference after a few hours.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE


Jedi Master button finder

User avatar
cussler
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Hull
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by cussler » Fri May 18, 2018 8:02 pm

cussler wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 pm
Hi everybody

Got a new toy last Friday,the Quest Q40 went to Bridlington beach with it on Saturday,not to bad but I think the beach mode is not that good it seems a lot better in coin mode with sensitivty turned down to around 60% not to much chatter on dry or wet sand. Still finding my way around this machine but having said that it is very intuitive to use On Monday went to one of my permission around Hull this field has been well searched over the years but this year there's no crop on it as yet. Had the small blade coil on and it did me proud ,the time line in this field is astonishing 1983 pound coin 1945 penny 1937 half penny 1925 sixpence musket balls 1883 small copper coins and hammered coin when I got home I ordered the 9 time 11 coil with a spare bottom stem because I think the blade coil is a bit small when your on a large farm .Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Got this machine 5 days ago and today received the larger coil when I came to put the larger coil on to my dismay I saw that the small coil lug was a shattered not just split but shattered I know I did not over tighten it because I like my coil to be able to move slightly anyway the small coil is on it's way back to Tony at Detectorbits to see what he thinks ,we'll see how it goes , it looks bad but if stick comes to lift I know how to repair it Image

Any ID on the Hammered and small coins would be much appreciated I dare not clean up the small copper ones because the patina is the coin and I think they would just disintegrate


Best Cussler
Update on the Quest Q40 broken coil which was only five days old and the coil lugs had broken after only three uses .It was sent back to Tony at Detectorbits on Wednesday this week and today I received a new new coil now that is superb service. I have researched this problem on the net both in Holland and Germany where the Quest is one of the top metal detectors in use and only found one other instance of this happening so it seems to be just one of them freak things that happens now and again ,the thing is its how its handled, and it seems Quest honours its two year waratie very well indeed. Once again many thanks to Tony at Detectorbits.

Best Cussler
One day Rodders

Quest Q40 and a bit of luck

User avatar
BAMBAM
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Gods own County
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by BAMBAM » Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 pm

Service like that is brilliant and the way to generate new customers. Well done that dealer.
BAMBAM
East Yorkshire
Semper exspectare et ecce subito!
(Always expect the unexpected!)
Detectors: XP ADX 250 | Garrett Pro-pointer

Expat Aussie
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Nice finds and then a shock with the Q40

Post by Expat Aussie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Your top copper coin is actually a copper token from the mid 1600’s, I can see the date 1668 followed by ‘Robert ?’ who would be the issuer of it.The other side if readable would have the place of issue. The lower one is dated 1878 and is in fact a Dutch 1 cent of Willem III.

Post Reply

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”