Q40 arrives tomorrow!

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Bee Per

Q40 arrives tomorrow!

Post by Bee Per » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Last night I ordered a Q40 with a Raptor coil with thanks to the MDF shop, will be mainly beach detecting till late summer, hopefully will have the hang of it by then.

Planet Thanet

cantona1

Re: Q40 arrives tomorrow!

Post by cantona1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Might be worth asking what settings work best on the beach, apparently the actual beach setting isn't that great, I've not used mine on the beach yet, good luck with it, its a great machine on land so persevere with it, it's worth the effort.

Bee Per

Post by Bee Per » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 pm

I've heard that the beach mode isn't brilliant so I'll probably do the dry sand to get used to it. I have read that it might be able to receive updates, don't know if that's right or not, hope it can it might sort the beach mode out ::g
Planet Thanet

cussler

Post by cussler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Bee Per wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 pm
I've heard that the beach mode isn't brilliant so I'll probably do the dry sand to get used to it. I have read that it might be able to receive updates, don't know if that's right or not, hope it can it might sort the beach mode out ::g
Hi the Quest is a fine machine had but to be honest the beach mode is crap I have found that coin mode with the sensitivity turned down to 64 to 68 is the way to go on dry or wet sand and you still get very good depth.

Best Cussler
One day Rodders

Quest Q40
XP Adventis 2

Bee Per

Post by Bee Per » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:57 pm

cussler wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm
Bee Per wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 pm
Hi the Quest is a fine machine had but to be honest the beach mode is crap I have found that coin mode with the sensitivity turned down to 64 to 68 is the way to go on dry or wet sand and you still get very good depth.

Best Cussler
I will give that a go, thank you
Planet Thanet

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:18 pm

One of the best things about the Q40 is the design. You move the controller handle to get the arm length correct which is superior to adjustable arm cups. For the Raptor coil, adjust the controller so that your entire forearm is on the machine, with the arm cup under the elbow. You should find that this gives you the best balance which will help keep arm fatigue away on longer sessions.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 pm

yes the beach mode is poor,

I found the Jewellery mode was good for me and found lots with it, a coin magnet for sure

HH

Frank
Equinox 800
HD stainless steel sand scoop with long handle
Minelab pro find 35 pin pointer
Quest Diamond Digger
Evolution SE Pro cut spade
NCMD Registered

Bee Per

Post by Bee Per » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:08 pm

It's arrived! Will try a run out down the beach at the weekend, have got a wobbly arm cup though, the small screw just doesn't want to tighten up, it looks like it's just a small hole drilled into the upper stem with no thread.
Planet Thanet

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 pm

I think it's a self tapping screw ::g

Bee Per

Post by Bee Per » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Looks like the hole was tad to big for the screw so it wouldn't bite, have now drilled a smaller hole just behind the original and that's fixed it.
Planet Thanet

Devon steve

Post by Devon steve » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Hiya, just got my Q40 today from a workmate. Looks pretty good build quality and easy to put together. Not really used it yet except a short foray on the lawn. My first time so all the squeaks and beeps are confusing lol. I understand about sensitivity and and descrimination watching lots online. Just need to work out the menu and how to get to the commands. I'll get there. Hoping to get on the beach soon. Haven't told the missus yet - trying to find the right moment as, "you're always wasting money and doing new fads" Think I need a hobby to get me out the house, oh wait....... 👍
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer SE
Quest Q40 raptor coil
Garrett Sea Hunter mark 2
Garrett Pro pointer
Detecknix pinpointer
Evolution trowel
Short handle sand scoop
Evolution Type R sand scoop
Cheap spade
Builders leather nail/finds pouch

Bee Per

Post by Bee Per » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 pm

Morning, just had a play with the Q40, only air a test but a couple of things I've noticed; it doesn't seem to like new 10p pieces no clear tone even with T.I.D. down low, and doesn't like small, thin trading token type coins in coin mode. But in jewellery mode it picks them up ok. Beach tomorrow for its first outing.
Planet Thanet

Machinist

Post by Machinist » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Bee Per wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 pm
.........................................................it doesn't seem to like new 10p pieces no clear tone even with T.I.D. down low, ......................................
Since 2012 5p and 10p coins have been made of Nickel Plated Steel so your detector is trying to discriminate out the steel. If you get a 10p made in 2011 or before you will get a good signal as they are made of Cupro- Nickel.

1p and 2p coins have been Copper Plated Steel since 1992 so your detector will not like them either, previously they were Bronze which gives a good signal.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Bee Per wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:06 pm
Morning, just had a play with the Q40, only air a test but a couple of things I've noticed; it doesn't seem to like new 10p pieces no clear tone even with T.I.D. down low, and doesn't like small, thin trading token type coins in coin mode. But in jewellery mode it picks them up ok. Beach tomorrow for its first outing.

I tend to think of Coins mode and FeSen as options for American coin shooting. The names and their characteristics seem to suggest they are for sorting the bottle tops from the thicker US coins in those areas where people have spent decades littering the parks and sports fields.

Personally, I think Jewelry mode is a little more open, and suits some of our older and thinner artefacts a little better. I never take it out of Jewelry mode these days.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

Bee Per

Post by Bee Per » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:14 pm

I think I will be doing the same, not surprised about the new 10p's, but I'm not detecting for them, just wanted to know it's likes and dislikes, a wille to wait till the fields are cropped so the beach will have to do.
Planet Thanet

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”