18 months with the Q40

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
cantona1

18 months with the Q40

Post by cantona1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:06 pm

I think That I am finally getting in tune with my Q40 after 18 months, when I first started I was looking for those signals in the high 80's and 90"s, now I know they are usually tin cans :D, again, when I first started I thought all signals in the low fifties were going to be bits of foil, shreds of cans etc, now I know that's where the hammies hide :D

For what it's worth here's my TID list.

90's usually tin cans at depth, you've gotta dig it though :D
80-85 if it's a single signal each way, it's either a nice copper coin or copper tube/sheet maybe a buckle. If it's got a bit of a grunt could be deep iron.
70-80 smaller copper coin, lead bits or musket balls.
50-70 hammies, silver articles.
40-50 definitely worth digging, could be a small hammy.

I very rarely use the pinpoint function as the machine is so accurate, I normally use the earphones supplied with the machine.

A double ding each way usually means it's something with a hole in it, can even be a big iron washer.
A morse code kind of signal means it's pretty shallow, check the surface.
A good signal but chattery usually means coke

These are with the Q40 on Jewellery, sens anywhere from 75 upwards, I don't mind it a bit chattery because it shows where the iron is, I auto ground balance, usually in the 50's on our fields.

I know it's not the most expensive machine out there but it's one hell of a machine when used properly, you really can't go wrong for the money.
Hope this is helpful.

dreadnought

Re: 18 months with the Q40

Post by dreadnought » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:17 am

It's an awesome machine, much underrated. I've had mine two years now and found loads. Have now bought a GM but I'll never sell the Q40.
garret 400i ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z

GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 am

Glad you’re getting on well with your machine-sounds just the job ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:07 am

What's depth like with it? I am not obsessed with depth per se....we detect a lot of pasture though and would explore a few sites where stuff has already come up. It does seem like a really good machine and one that has flown a tad under the radar with all the Equinox Mania going on.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am

I've had big iron at over a foot. Decent coins at 10". And a half sovereign came in at the depth of the pin pointer, It will surprise you how good it is.
garret 400i ::g
Quest Q40, awesome machine, never sell it, now the boys :: ::g
Kruzer…………. disappointing, sold ;;z

GP pointer, 3 years and still going, now the boys. ::g
Nokta pointer, best there is ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Have to agree with Cantona on all that is listed and after speaking with dreadnought who was one of the first to purchase the Q40 I also bought one . I wanted a machine that didn't break the bank but was an upgrade from the ace 250 with a little more sophistication and I dont mean that in a negative way . I do not have much patience with anything which appears too technical and the screen and digital read out etc did look a bit complicated for my old brain box .
Basically I wanted a switch on and go machine without too much fiddling about and the Q40 fits that bill , it is so easy to use and I think I too have just about got used to the machine and understand what it is capable of doing after about 18 months of using it most of the time .
The pinpointing is very accurate and both coils , the blade and raptor get an equal amount of use .The bigger coil does add a little extra weight but you soon get used to it .
The set up is easy and mrix gave an excellent in depth review on how to set up the machine on one of his you tube channels as does mad max . You cant go wrong for the money .
I think when the nox came out the Q40 sort of got pushed aside however I will be hanging onto the Q40 for a fair while until maybe I may upgrade in the future .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Littleboot,

We have some pasture fields in amongst our mainly arable permissions, the Q40 does give good depth on pasture, it's also a very tidy machine with the smaller coil in particular, once you get used to it it's really simple to locate the find without bothering with the pin pointer. You usually only need dig a border spade width hole, it is very very accurate. It's very sensitive too, this weekend I had a Charles 1 Rose Farthing which must have been six inches down and I regularly find .22 pellets and the primers from the centre of shot gun cartridges.

Battery life is good it will easily give me at least 3 trips of 2-3 hours each, headphones need to be charged more regularly, the head phones supplied work well although I did originally have a problem with them loosing their pairing, not had that happen for quite a while now. Build quality is exceptional for the money. You won't even know you're swinging it with the small raptor coil it's so light!

BUT, I've only been detecting for 3 years and it's only my second machine after starting off with an Ace 250 so my knowledge is based on just those two machines. They do use them a fair bit in Holland I think, have a look on you tube.

Cantona1

Return to “Quest - Deteknix Forum”