Quest Q40 arrived this morning

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Resurgam

Quest Q40 arrived this morning

Post by Resurgam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 pm

My new Quest Q40 metal detector arrived this morning as we were heading out to keep an hospital appointment for my wife, so it was well after teatime before I unboxed the machine and commenced to assemble it.

Chinese, or no Chinese, I was well impressed by the quality of the build and also it's appearance and ease of assembly. I foresee the coil wire wound around the shaft as being no problem at all, providing I don't leave too much slack that can cause interference with the coil ( just as with my Garrett EuroAce ).

Just love the three piece extendable shaft, with that long reach.

I presently just need to fine tune the distance between the cuff and the hand grip, to give me the best of comfort in use. It would have been nice to have been able to have loosened the small screw just below the control box and twisted the unit slightly to the left, to enable easier line of screen viewing for me.

Just establishing that all batteries are fully charged but it will probably be the weekend before I get to give it a test swing in the garden and play around with the setting. I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout down at Talacre Sands in December and see how it compares to other machines that I have extensively detected with down there,

Many thanks to all you guys that have posted reports on the Quest stable of detectors and undoubtedly assisted me in making my choice of machine to replace my EuroAce.

Chris ::g
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

sweepstick47

Re: Quest Q40 arrived this morning

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Good Luck with your new machine ::g As you mentioned China, it's worth checking (if batteries were supplied), that they are not (Zinc Carbon') which are commonly 'over-charged' and prone to leak causing damage. :(

Hopefully all will be well and you can enjoy your first trip out with it ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 am

All the best of luck with your Q40.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Garrett 400i + Nel Tornado coil

Jedi Master button finder

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:49 am

sweepstick47 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 pm
Good Luck with your new machine ::g As you mentioned China, it's worth checking (if batteries were supplied), that they are not (Zinc Carbon') which are commonly 'over-charged' and prone to leak causing damage. :(

Detector battery is an inbuilt Li Battery; as is the wireless headphones battery. I am able to recharge both battery systems from my laptop usb ports and did so only last night. Come the weekend I will be able to turn both on and make sure they have held their charge and then walse the thing round the garden and also do some in air testing with various targets from my finds boxes.

The machine both looks and feels good but the proof of the pudding is going to be in the use of it on my regular stomping grounds. The Q40 appears to be building a growing fan club on MDF and plenty of Dutch detectorists appear to like it but then again I don't understand a lot of what the Dutch guys are saying! ;))

Chris :)

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 am

Mud Max wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 am
All the best of luck with your Q40.
Thanks Max; I'm wide open to any advice that you and any of the other guys (or gals) can offer.

Chris. :)

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Resurgam wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:49 am
sweepstick47 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Detector battery is an inbuilt Li Battery; as is the wireless headphones battery. I am able to recharge both battery systems from my laptop usb ports and did so only last night. Come the weekend I will be able to turn both on and make sure they have held their charge and then walse the thing round the garden and also do some in air testing with various targets from my finds boxes.

The machine both looks and feels good but the proof of the pudding is going to be in the use of it on my regular stomping grounds. The Q40 appears to be building a growing fan club on MDF and plenty of Dutch detectorists appear to like it but then again I don't understand a lot of what the Dutch guys are saying! ;))
Chris :)
Good Luck and I hope it does the business ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi Resurgam

Enjoy your new bit of kit, loving my Quest 40 and getting to know the quirks is the best bit about it. You'll soon get to grips and also find out it is a coin magnet.

Frank

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks guys; it certainly looks the part and feels real good in the hands. I just love that very long shaft and the extension clips. I noticed, somewhere, that there is a much larger coil available for the machine (11"+).

I guess that some of the coil producers will pretty soon be producing bigger and better coils; as well as small joeys for it.

Batteries are now fully charged ( easy peasy ) and I may do some in air testing with items from my finds boxes tomorrow.

Tally Ho! ::g

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Resurgam wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm
Thanks guys; it certainly looks the part and feels real good in the hands. I just love that very long shaft and the extension clips. I noticed, somewhere, that there is a much larger coil available for the machine (11"+).

I guess that some of the coil producers will pretty soon be producing bigger and better coils; as well as small joeys for it.

Batteries are now fully charged ( easy peasy ) and I may do some in air testing with items from my finds boxes tomorrow.

Tally Ho! ::g

Look forward to your thoughts on it.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Garrett 400i + Nel Tornado coil

Jedi Master button finder

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Good luck with it Resurgam, you won't be disappointed with it, it will probably be quite noisy at first but stick with it. I haven't used it on the beach yet, but If it helps in my fields I do an auto ground balance in every field and run these basic settings on custom 1.

Sensitivity as high as I can, around 95
Tones on 3, No reason I just like that one.
FeSen off
TID last four notches off
Frequency set to whatever doesn't interfere with your pin pointer.

Above all persevere with it, you will soon learn what settings suit your land, for the money it's a great piece of kit, obviously it's not a Deus, but it didn't cost a fortune did it?
Good luck
Cantona1

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 pm

you'll love it. fantastic bit if kit. mine is now officially the "coin hoover" going to put a bag on it soon. :D
get to know it and it will reward you. very good machine.
garret 400i "old faithfull" ::g
Quest Q40, The "coin hoover" awesome machine. ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 pm

dreadnought wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 pm
you'll love it. fantastic bit if kit. mine is now officially the "coin hoover" going to put a bag on it soon. :D
get to know it and it will reward you. very good machine.

Totally agree , excellent little machine with a big punch . I started off with the Ace 250 , another cracking piece of kit and will keep it as a back up machine . Going over the same areas with the Q40 and it is finding stuff that the 250 wasn't but I would put that down to the user rather than the detector . It is a lot more refined and precise in comparison and you get a lot for your money without breaking the bank .

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:35 pm

The Garretts are nice entry level machines and I swung a EuroAce for a couple of years and founds loads of interesting stuff with it; including a couple of hammies, whilst having the stock coil fitted.

I kept the EuroAce as a backup machine should my Safai throw a sickie but only recently sold it on to Staffs Detectors along with it's extra coils. Unfortunately, as age creeps up on me, I'm finding the Safari somewhat heavy to swing all day and so was attracted to the Q40 as my new backup machine for those days when I just can't face hours of heavy swinging.

I'm planning on doing a day's beach detecting on Sunday but can't make up my minds as to which machine to take with me. Perhaps it would be a good idea to take the Q40 and see how it performs on areas that I'm pretty familiar with whilst using the Safari, the EuroAce, and a CS4PI.

Big tide on Sunday with high tide at lunch time; so I will probably detect the dry sand for most of the morning and then switch to the wet after lunch. Just need to make up my mind on which machine to take with me! 8-|

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 pm

u;@ I would be tempted to take the 'Q40' because you are familiar with the beach and the way your 'Safari' responds there. These two factors will surely help you to assess the 'Q40's' potential.
Good Luck. ::g Regards ss47

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:28 pm

I think you are right. I also know the beach quite well, after detecting it on a regular basis for several years. I know the coin and shrapnel traps and the areas that are most contaminated with WWII debris,

Mind you the ratio of goodies to projectiles and copper shrapnell is pretty poor but I have had some nice finds off there.

I'm presently playing around with the controls in doors and trying to understand what's what and how to change the tones. First thing tomorrow I will run some targets from my finds boxes past the coil and see what it thinks of them. Come Friday I will give it an hour in the garden and then get all my stuff ready for Sunday.

Witsend

Post by Witsend » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm

I've had my Q40 for about 6 weeks now and have about 30 to 40 hours on it.

Its a good coin machine, although most of my finds have been modern coinage with 1 roman (very tiny). What has surprised me is the depth. Most finds as usual are 3 to 6 inches but a couple of small coins were 9 to 12 inches (estimated with the Garrett pointer and then some).

So far I am impressed with all aspects and discrimination is pretty good as well, but the pin pointer is spot on.

I've not used it on a beach yet, just in ploughed and pasture permissions.

One thing... Its not water proof in anything more than rain so use the screen cover.

Good luck with your....

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:21 pm

How the heck do you change the tones?

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm

OK, got it now! :D

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 pm

You guys all sound as happy with your Q40s as a Pig in S--t lol. At Detectorbits we have had hammies and Roman coins with the 40. Its a very able detector. The Q40 is more waterproof than you think, We had the control box covers made purely to stop people scratching the screen rather than for keeping the rain out. I am shortly going to have some very good low priced machine covers made which will be put on this forums Auction site. They will be just deep enough to slip the Q40 & Q20 inside in a collapsed state like people do with their deus's. They will have a shoulder strap on and a zip on one end. The total length would probably be acceptable as carry on luggage on a plane I would have thought. Enjoy your Quest detectors and tell all your friends, lol.

As an aside we now have an almost complete range of spares at Detectorbits for all Quest detectors and other products like the Pinpointers & wireless headphones. If you are unlucky to need a repair or replacement we carry out a virtually same day return by first class post so definitely no sending off to the country of manufacture for repairs. Any problems just call us. ::g

Tony Hunt

Post by Tony Hunt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 pm

On another note, remember when you are cleaning out your coil covers soak them in some warm water first. They come off and go back on a lot easier If they are warmed. You can put a bit of silicon spray round them also to help in their fitting. The coil covers are a little tight because they need to be tight to stop them falling off.

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”