Quest coil preferences

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
BazButtons

Quest coil preferences

Post by BazButtons » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:54 am

Out of the two coils for the quest,which one do users prefer .
Of course I realise with the larger coil that more ground can be covered and maybe a limited increase in depth,but are the signals as crisp and sharp as opposed to the smaller coil.
I'm humming and harring on the quest at mo,but don't want to purchase both coils.

Mud Max

Re: Coil preferences

Post by Mud Max » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 pm

The larger coil is the all rounder, but the machine is lighter and better balanced with the small coil and it's still a great performer, very impressive depth for it's size. Tones are still nice and sharp on the larger coil as the recovery speed on the Q40 is very good.

If I could only have one it would be the larger one.
Xp Deus 11" coil
Quest Q40 combo pack

Jedi Master button finder

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:55 pm

As well as the obvious coverage, separation and depth.

It also depends on your technique

I have a 5.5", 8" and 10" coils.

Put a sixpence on the ground.

Walk a way from it. Then walk back towards it swinging away.

Latching onto the target at a reasonable walking speed is so much easier with the larger coil even though all three will find it.

Slow the pace right down and most of the advantage of the larger coil is lost.

BazButtons

Post by BazButtons » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback chaps, if the quest does become my next toy I'll go for the bigger coil .

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:09 pm

I only have the small coil on my Q40, works very well ::g

pw00t

Post by pw00t » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:40 am

The current Raptor coil is just perfect enough for my need, not too light, heavy, big and small ::g
btw, seen that Quest also put the Monster coil which is really super big, but they haven't release it anywhere. Do this coil really exist? or it just a prototype? :-/
Quest Q40 with Raptor coil
Xpointer

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Same with the smaller "Bolt" coil. Just a nice picture for the time being. :-L
Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 pm

I have both Blade and Raptor, I have to say I much prefer the blade, seems to give me at least better results
Equinox 800
Quest Q40 (blade & Raptor coils)
Garrett Ace250 (Nel Hunter coil)
HD stainless steel sand scoop with long handle
Garrett Pro Pin pointer 2
Quest Diamond Digger
Spitfire digging tool
NCMD Registered

Resurgam

Re: Quest coil preferences

Post by Resurgam » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am

I own a Quest Q40, that came with both coils, and as yet have not settled on a favourite but switch coils in accordance with the areas being searched. As with my other detectors, I would like a much larger coil for detecting large open areas of beach and pasture, and a much smaller coil for working those areas where the standard coils just can't be swung effectively.

I am rather disappointed with the beach mode on the Q40, regardless of which coil I have decided to fit on the day.

I have also seen a couple of videos on coil testing in air but noticed that the individuals always appear to present coins horizontal to the coil. Try presenting coins end on, or angled, and then see what sort of depth performance one gets.

I have a free day tomorrow so will run some in air depth testing for both coils and see which one can best pick up coins at varied angles and depths. After all, our coin finds don't just lay flat in the earth waiting for us to swing our coils over them; do they?

Chris ::g

pw00t

Post by pw00t » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm

I have to agree with Resurgam about beach mode, I'll ditch that and go for jewel mode as it is much stable. I am thinking to get a blade coil due to its lite weight. Performance, I guess it is the same as Raptor.
Xpointer

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 pm

I have found both coin and jewelry mode passable for wet sand on my regular beach but have only put in part day sessions due to being either rained or frozen off the beach.

In the earlier weeks of Q40 ownership I did run the Q40/Raptor coil over an area of paddock that I had worked with my other detector and the Q40 sniffed out 40+ coins and a wee bit o' junk. I don't think the Q40 bettered my other machine but it was probably that the coil passed over coins that the coil of my other machine didn't. I am seriously contemplating using two pegs and a long length of line, to ensure that I cover every inch of turf on my next visit to the same paddock.

I'm going to leave the Q40 on the back burner tomorrow and take my other machine down the coast to try and work the low water line. Once home and dry, I will set up some in air testing for both the Blade and Raptor coils , to see how they both each respond to a variety of targets at different depths and angles. Whilst I'm at it, I may as well do some comparisons with my regular machine.

As for the disappointing beach mode on the Q40, you don't suppose that we are missing something do you? I wonder if they misidentified the modes and the beach mode isn't the beach mode! :-L

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:23 pm

I have to agree, My Ace 250 wasn't as chattery as my Q40 on the beach, it's unusable in beach mode, in the fields it's entirely different and is finding me some really nice stuff at good depths with the small coil. I'll be interested to hear your results in depth tests with both coils.

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:59 pm

Had a play around doing some in air depth testing today and it appeared that the depth gain over the Blade coil by the Raptor tended to vary, depending upon the angle of the target being presented to the coil and the mode that the detector was being run in.

On average, I would say that you are looking at a gain of two inches in depth for an Elizabeth I silver sixpence. Running the Q40 at 95 sensitivity, with the Raptor on and in all metals it picked up the hammy a ten inches if the coin was presented end on but twelve inches if presented horizontally.

If I were running in all metals with the Raptor on and switched it to coin mode I recon that I would suffer a loss of four inches in depth.

Here at home the Blade coil - Q40 combination seemed to be more stable and produced cleaner audio but perhaps that could be put down to all the electronics in the house interfering with the larger coil and producing more scratchy audio.

pw00t

Post by pw00t » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm

wow, thanks for the brief review resurgam. I'll looking for the local dealer at my country if they have any extra Blade coil in the shelves.
Xpointer

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:38 pm

The other thing that I noticed whilst running the tests was that the detector tended to pick up the target at deeper distances if I passed the target more quickly through the electromagnetic field but I would not have been passing the coil over the ground at anywhere near the same speed whilst actually detecting. I have always been taught.........low & slow; which was even more re-enforced by swinging a MineLab Safari for the last couple of years.

We need more people to do comparative in air depth testing and see if they can support my findings. Based on what I observed I will run my Q40 over a selected area at the speed that I would normally detect and then cover the same area several more time at progressively faster coil swing speeds and see if it picks up anything deeper.

Although I am encouraged by the extra depth achievable in all metals mode, I am not over keen on the all metals audio; which is fixed and we are (at present) unable to change. Next time out I will try and persevere with the Raptor coil and the Q40 set in all metals mode.

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:29 pm

I got my large coil today and did the same tests in air, I agree that 12 inches is achievable in air, and like you it seems to give me another 4 inches in depth overall.
I also noticed it seemed to pick up the item an inch of two deeper if the swing was quite fast, maybe I need to increase my swing speed, any experts got any thoughts on this please??

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:00 am

Our in air depth test findings may, or may not, account for the ghost signals that some have reported suffering with the Quest machines.

The Q40, without doubt, has a lightningly fast recovery speed that allows for a somewhat faster swing than some other detectors. I am wondering if some are swinging the Q40 coil at an acceptably fast swing but upon getting a target signal for an item that the coil has passed over, they swing the coil back towards the target at a slower speed, in the hopes of confirming the machine's message but in doing so they may be suffering the loss of depth to speed that we saw in relationship to speed.

I had planned on checking this out in the field (pardon the pun) and seeing if I can make similar findings on a paddock that I know to contain plenty of coins but haven't yet got round to doing so.

I had a similar, but different, problem with my Safari. Well, it was almost the reverse of what we may be observing with the Q40. Too fast a swing speed had one well past the target before the machine had detected, analised, and signaled it's response and consequently one could not repeat the signal in the exact area where the coil was when you heard the signal. It took me a little while to suss that one out! 8-|

My comments are not comparing or rubbishing either machine but merely attempting to shed some light on what some people may be experiencing as a perceived problem with their Quest machines.

It would be appreciated if the mods would leave this post to stand as is and not delete or edit it, as being out of context,

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:26 pm

I must admit the recovery speed is very very fast, it easily picked up two separate signals from coins that were only a couple of inches apart. I am wondering now if I need to increase my swing speed to get the maximum from the Q40, for the money I think that the depth achievable is very good, I'll be able to get out with it soon hopefully when this bloody Sciatica goes away ::g

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”