Q40 on the beach

Quest Metal Detectors Forum
Topics related to Quest metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Quest Videos
Resurgam

Q40 on the beach

Post by Resurgam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:21 am

I would be interested to hear how other Quest Q40 owners are getting along with their machines on the beach and in particular how they are coping with wet saline beach sands.

I have only carried out three short sessions on my regular beach with my Q40 but unfortunately none of the sessions were conducive to good beach detecting practice. My first session suffered from lack of familiarity with the machine and the second two sessions had me rained and frozen off the beach long before I would have normally thrown the towel in.

What am I seeking from my fellow Q40 owners? Which mode and settings are you using on dry sand? Which mode and settings are you using on wet saline sand? Have you managed to improve the responses of the "beach" mode to your regular beach? I gave up with the "beach" mode. :-/

Many thanks in advance for any replies and advice.

Chris ::g

Garrett ProPointer + MineLab Safari + Quest Q40, and loads of determination.

Resurgam

Re: Q40 on the beach

Post by Resurgam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 am

Bump ::g

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 am

I have to say I was disappointed with the beach mode as it was one of the reasons I got the Q40 but it is totally useless.

I use jewellery mode on both wet and dry all day long, sens 75 - 80 depending on beach, auto ground balance, I found good targets sound nice and loud.

I still get some chatter on wet but I've learned to cope with it.
HH
Frank
Equinox 800
Quest Q40 (blade & Raptor coils)
Garrett Ace250 (Nel Hunter coil)
HD stainless steel sand scoop with long handle
Garrett Pro Pin pointer 2
Quest Diamond Digger
Spitfire digging tool
NCMD Registered

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:24 am

Your findings are pretty much the same as my own for the beach and I also consider the Q40 beach mode to be almost useless. To be fair, I haven't put in a lot of beach time with the Q40 but am now tending to leave the Quest machine at home when I head for a beach detecting session these days. :-L

I can't help but wonder why a specifically designated beach mode on a detector should perform so poorly, and if we are missing something that would assist us in resolving the poor beach performance of the machine's designated beach mode. To be honest, I haven't yet tried the all metals mode on the wet sand; perhaps it will perform like a PI machine! ? ;))

I believe that Andy Sabisch is now stocking the Quest machines and is active on the UK Quest Facebook forum. Perhaps, given a little time, Andy will come up with a first class handbook for the Quest machines and maybe some solution to the poor performance of the designated beach modes. I presently understand, perhaps mistakenly, that both the Quest Q20 and the Pro suffer likewise on wet saline beach sands. :-O

fred

Post by fred » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:58 am

Resurgam wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:24 am
Your findings are pretty much the same as my own for the beach and I also consider the Q40 beach mode to be almost useless. To be fair, I haven't put in a lot of beach time with the Q40 but am now tending to leave the Quest machine at home when I head for a beach detecting session these days. :-L

I can't help but wonder why a specifically designated beach mode on a detector should perform so poorly, and if we are missing something that would assist us in resolving the poor beach performance of the machine's designated beach mode. To be honest, I haven't yet tried the all metals mode on the wet sand; perhaps it will perform like a PI machine! ? ;))

This comes up all the time Chris.

Purpose designed beach programmes tend not to work well if a machine struggles with the salt water effect. In many cases the only way that a 'switch on and go' option can be provided is to reduce the settings until the machine becomes stable or to turn on automatic ground balancing (or both). Unfortunately these options come at a performance cost, particularly depth.

You may be able to get around the problem by detecting in another mode and doing your own adjustments or by putting up with some chatter or falsing, as Frank has done. If you are going to regularly detect on beaches it might be better in the long run to get a machine which is designed to perform to your satisfaction in the environment(s) in which you intend to use it. ::g

Resurgam

Post by Resurgam » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Fred. Very well put m8! ::g

Return to “Quest Forum, Formerly Known as Deteknix”