garret 300i/newbie

Garrett Ace 300i Metal detector Topics Only.
detecting rod

garret 300i/newbie

Post by detecting rod » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 am

ok my garret 300i is just over a week old been playing with it in garden,watching and reading lots of things ,but ive set it to jewellery mode getting strong high pitched sounds scores 85-99 but still seems to be mainly iron,have found 1 coin a 1962 sixpence ,but im still ruining the lawn digging mainly iron?also as new to the hobbbie every thing looks exciting at minute so even though lots of iron couple of bits i would like to have a better look at whats best way to do this ,clean off alot of rust i mean ?

SuperRed

Re: garret 300i/newbie

Post by SuperRed » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:36 am

Welcome Rod. The garrets do tend to find a lot of (small) iron, depending where you have set discrim. The garden can be deceptive, so don't lose heart. Mine is medium-sized, loads of long-gone sheds, fences, residential EMI, etc, and raised with imported soil, so certainly not a real testing of a machine. Try and grab yourself a permission and you'll see the difference.

Cleaning the rust? It depends what you think it may be.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm

thx for reply just have a feeling im missing a little gem out in the garden ,il keep plodding on ,im sure at some point il just try to clear all bleeps just to make sure

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Assuming the 300i has the same sort of control layout as a EuroAce I would:
  • Use custom mode
    Notch out/reject the iron segments on the discrimination
    Reduce sensitivity by 2 (so top 2 segments off)

This should help with the iron, but round iron objects like washers, nuts etc will still give a good signal at times as will flat iron, but you should be able to hear the iron tone coming through as well.

Hope that helps.....
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:40 pm

RossDG wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:17 pm
Assuming the 300i has the same sort of control layout as a EuroAce I would:
  • Use custom mode
    Notch out/reject the iron segments on the discrimination
    Reduce sensitivity by 2 (so top 2 segments off)

This should help with the iron, but round iron objects like washers, nuts etc will still give a good signal at times as will flat iron, but you should be able to hear the iron tone coming through as well.

Hope that helps.....
Hi Rod, as a 400i user the above from Ross is spot on.
Tend to run my discrim below 60, which gets rid of nails but you will still find, Brass , Copper, Lead, Silver.
Good Luck, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:45 pm

thx for tips

4Tuna

Post by 4Tuna » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 pm

detecting rod wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:56 am
ok my garret 300i is just over a week old been playing with it in garden,watching and reading lots of things ,but ive set it to jewellery mode getting strong high pitched sounds scores 85-99 but still seems to be mainly iron,have found 1 coin a 1962 sixpence ,but im still ruining the lawn digging mainly iron?also as new to the hobbbie every thing looks exciting at minute so even though lots of iron couple of bits i would like to have a better look at whats best way to do this ,clean off alot of rust i mean ?
Ah, the both incredible & horrendous feeling of having a detector & no where to explore! Vivid memories..

So before you totally destroy your lawn..

Jewelry mode is a good starting point.

If you are having iron issues, knock off another bar of discrimination in custom mode. Leaving you with an audio alert, of all signals above 40.

Large signals in the 80/90 range can be identified before digging, by getting to know the pinpoint function.

A coin type item will most likely give a similar number in the 80/90 range, but once you have scanned over the area using the pinpoint, you will be able tell the rough size of the target.

Try with a visual, above ground test to begin with - place a coin on the floor & use the pinpoint.

Then a large piece of iron (sounds like you have dug some ready to test!)

The signal of a large object will begin to show far away (compared to the small)

A coin type target will go from silent, to loud very quickly. While a MASSIVE IRON will register from quite a distance & the sound will increase in intensity, the closer you get, over a longer space. Indicating something bigger.

This works vertically as well as on a sweep type motion.

Try it. Hold the coil above the coin with the pinpoint active & lift it straight up.

The sound dies off quickly.

Again, hold the coil above the MASSIVE IRON with the pinpoint active, & lift straight up. You may be able to register a signal/sound some 10/20/30cm ABOVE the item.

Indicating that it is indeed, not a lovely coin, but just a chunk of MASSIVE IRON.

And look up electrolysis for cleaning up rusted finds..

4Tuna

Post by 4Tuna » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Dave The Slave wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:43 pm

My custom setting is the last 5 blocks 60 to 99, 2 bars off max sensitivity, sometimes 3 blocks off if falsing due to wet grass and iron audio off.
These settings have found me most of the metals, Silver Denarius, silver milled which was very thin, brass, copper, lead, aluminium, pewter plus all the modern coins. Will also get large deep bits of iron, interesting bits tend to come in between lower 60`s and around 91.

Alright Dave, noticed gold isn't on your list..

Have you seen this?

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:08 am

thats for that great info,sorry for slow reply but been away

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:00 pm

I started with the Ace 250 and the Garrett Ace series are good machines, and IMHO fantastic value.

I strongly recommend the official Garrett instructional videos which can be found linked from the top right of the 300i page.
https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ ... in_en.aspx

Similar instructional videos can be found from the pages relating to the other Garrett machines.

Evan

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 am

thanks for the advice guys used the advised settings on local bit of common land ,3 hours of detecting (time flys and i didnt cover that much ground )7 coins and couple of other little bits found lots of can tops ,oldest coin 1914 which looking at some posts here is like a new coin ,2X20p 2X2p 1X 1p 1xhalf penny(which due to size and thickness i was realy happy with and the 1914 half penny ,must say the buzz of seeing that green tinge in the soils and the excitement of then pulling the coin is better than i even expected ,due to the 1914 coin i do not think this grounds been detected before and its the size of a field so im hoping for some more interesting finds ,did get quite a few false readings were i dug signal and it disapeared ,might have been foil though

RossDG

Post by RossDG » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 am

detecting rod wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 am
thanks for the advice guys used the advised settings on local bit of common land ,3 hours of detecting (time flys and i didnt cover that much ground )7 coins and couple of other little bits found lots of can tops ,oldest coin 1914 which looking at some posts here is like a new coin ,2X20p 2X2p 1X 1p 1xhalf penny(which due to size and thickness i was realy happy with and the 1914 half penny ,must say the buzz of seeing that green tinge in the soils and the excitement of then pulling the coin is better than i even expected ,due to the 1914 coin i do not think this grounds been detected before and its the size of a field so im hoping for some more interesting finds ,did get quite a few false readings were i dug signal and it disapeared ,might have been foil though
Those false signals can sometimes be a small piece of iron - e.g. thin nail, off to one side of the indicated position - once the hole is dug the signal disapears - I have had this with the euroace before.
Equinox 600
Garrett EuroACE
Pro find 35 pinpointer
Leaky wellies!

4Tuna

Post by 4Tuna » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:25 pm

Put your spade straight in & lift, then recheck your reading.

Will often give away an iron signal, which will now grunt/give no audio depending on your discrim, if it is iron.

At worst it won't - at best it will clear up the signal &/or save you digging pointlessly.

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:50 am

ok so before going out for a few hours last night i thought id tighten lead from coil up to handle ,got a huge amount more false signals ,thinking about it when i got back home im sure manual said first loop of cable should be loose ,but i have all the books from box apart from manual.so think this is an important thing not to make first turn on cable to tight or low

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am

I dont want to try to teach you how to suck eggs, but have you made sure that all the connections are made properly and are secure?

It either sounds like a bad connection, or possibly a break in the cable somewhere?

But
False signals can also be due to how you have set the machine up
If the sensitivity is too high then it will squawk and chirp all over the place
If your discrimination is just and just then iron will "appear" to be falsing signals
Both the above settings if wrong will have you chasing ghosts

I'm not up on your machine so cant really help with settings, but i would track down a manual and set your machine to its basic factrory settings and start again

I think your falsing issues may just be your settings

EDIT:
Here is your manual
https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby- ... nglish.pdf

Double edit:
Oh, ok i have just read that you are in your garden still?
You will false like crazy in your garden, they are crazy places to detect and should only really be done by folk who really understand what their machines are saying
There is so much junk in gardens its like a waste dumping ground there
Honest try and find a permission of a field somewhere and it will be a whole new machine for you
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:20 am

thx for info im out on local common land now ,sunday used machine odd false but nothing major ,read forum monday and noticed making cable tighter might help went home and tightened cable up to handle alot more false signals monday night when out again ,il go home tonight disconnect and reconect it and give it a few hours again ,also just seen a post saying a mobile might have affeceted it ,i had mobile in bag sunday and in pocket monday so phone will go back in bag ,machine is garret 300i ,thx for info here and on rally post

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:26 am

Turn your phone off completely just to make sure
Good luck ::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm

would a big piece of iron give the high pitch of better materials ,or just the high numbers ?so if i get high pitch and jumping numbers chances are that there is something to big among the iron,and when pinpointing will it point to strongest target ,like the iron ?

4Tuna

Post by 4Tuna » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:30 pm

detecting rod wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm
would a big piece of iron give the high pitch of better materials ,or just the high numbers ?so if i get high pitch and jumping numbers chances are that there is something to big among the iron,and when pinpointing will it point to strongest target ,like the iron ?
Good question

The audio tone is linked to the numbers:

Tone ID—The ACE 300i produces three distinct tones based
on a target’s metal type and conductivity:

• High conductivity targets (Digital ID > 60) produce a
unique belltone signal.
• Medium to low conductivity targets (Digital ID of 40–60),
produce a medium-pitched signal.
• Ferrous targets (Digital ID < 40) produce a low-pitch
signal.

This is all in the manual ;)

Jumping numbers are usually caused by the object being an unusual shape.

Flat items usually give a clean or solid number reading, while items with multiple sides/edges can give jumpy numbers.

So a bell tone & jumpy numbers can be a high conductivity item, irregular shaped, a higher & lower conductivity item in the same area together, or even a high conductivity item, but not flat to the coil, as in a coin on edge.

The pinpoint will help you determine if there are multiple items,as each gives it's own tone. Unless the two items are on top of each other.

All of the info you get from the machine is a hint or suggestion of what could be buried.

It takes some practice, time (and reading the manual;) to get the best out of it & after a while, it will suddenly click & you'll start to decipher the readings more easily.

Dig it all to start with & work it out as you go.

You'll look back & laugh!

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm

thx ,had bouncing numbers last night but 63-77 so thought it was another can ring ,popped it open and got a solid 93 turned out to be 2 coins 1920-1921 stuck together ,yes its a big learning curve ,the common land im digging has lots of tinfoil/can rings ect,so cant knock out any of those incase good items ,thats 4 copper coins now found 1914 oldest,but i know when i get better with machins il have to go back over area as im sure im missing alot,ive watched some videos a few times to try to help with my dig or not dig options

dig-dog

Post by dig-dog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:20 pm

I hope you’re aware that common land is not a place you are allowed to dig on without permission from its owner. If you’ve gained permission, then good luck to you sir. If you haven’t gained permission, then you could be committing an offence. Somebody has to point this out to you because we don’t want you getting into trouble and we don’t want the hobby to be brought into disrepute.

I don’t want to be a party pooper but it is the law.

DD
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:24 pm

spoke with local council about it ,asked for permision and they said fine as long as i fill in ,have times names and dates of person ,if i do ever get problems

dig-dog

Post by dig-dog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Great stuff!
Good luck with getting some farm permission

DD ::g
E-trac 13" ultimate coil.
Full XP Deus 11" coil / hf elliptical coil
Sniper spade

Return to “Garrett ACE 300i Forum”