Finding Euro coins

Garrett Ace 300i Metal detector Topics Only.
european

Finding Euro coins

Post by european » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to metal detecting, switching from metal fishing to metal detecting.

I'm about to buy a Garret ACE 300i and want to find 1 and 2 Euro coins.

1,2 and 5 cent coins are copper-covered steel.

The €1 and €2 coins are two-toned. The "gold" is an alloy, 75% copper, 20% zinc and 5% nickel. The "silver" is cupronickel, 75% copper, 25% nickel.

The 10c, 20c and 50c coins are a proprietary alloy known as "Nordic gold", consisting of 89% copper, 5% aluminium, 5% zinc and 1% tin.

How to discriminate for €1 and €2 coins? Is it possible to distinguish between the other coins with sound and/or the display?

And is there a big difference when searching for coins (or jewelry) in 5-20cm depth between ACE 200,300 and 400 ? The shop seller told me that 400 would be better.

Best Wishes

European

Dave The Slave

Re: Finding Euro coins

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
Have used the 400i for 2 years and had a couple of 1 Euro and 2 euro coins, they tend to come in at around 85/87 on the display from memory, same as the Pound coins.
400i setting I use on dry sand as well as inland is Discriminate everything below 60, 2 off max sensitivity and Custom Mode. Have found it falses on wet, damp sand so stay off that.
You could discriminate below 75 and over 90 but would then lose Silver and partial Silver coins. Silver coins will come in at 91-93.
Try taking the different coins with you if buying from a shop.
Only difference between the 300 and 400 is the slightly larger coil.
In the blue information panel on the left, you can see the manuals for all 3 machines.
Good Luck ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 pm

Nothing much to add to Dave's very useful post...except.....
Why?

One and two Euros won't be difficult for any machine. The smaller change is a total nuisance anyway.
Are you beach detecting? If so be aware that they all go downhill quite quickly.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:25 pm

I did some beach detecting in Ireland a year ago and after 30 mins I had around 100 coins, corroded and horrible, they were everywhere. It was like the old problems of finding ring pulls. I did find a few one and two Euro coins but not very many. As said, most machines and settings will find Euro coins .. good luck, Liam B-)
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

european

Post by european » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Thanks for the answers, helps me a lot.
I have all euro coins and a few danish coins and will try and learn at home or at the beach.
With sand, wet sand, 5 cm, 10 cm, 15 cm, 20 cm. I think this is the best way.

I will be metal detecting in northern Germany. My permission is for beaches only but for me this is perfect. In our "state" it's easy to get such a permission. If anyone has questions regarding searching permissions for beaches in Denmark or Germany, just contact me.
This is a little offtopic but how are the rules in the UK for beaches?

Tomorrow my Garrett Ace 300i will be delivered.

What kind of technique would you recommend when searching beaches systematically with 200 up to 1482 aces?
This is an enormous size.

Maybe I also want to search in wet or damp sand for euro coins. What would you recommend here?

Best Wishes

European

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Hello again,
The 300i will probably struggle and give false and continuous bleeps on wet and damp sand. You can try knocking the sensitivity down to 3 or even 4 off maximum but this does not work for me.
Dry sand, settings as said yesterday.
I have around 8 miles of beach to detect, detecting is slow. I tend to grid an area, which can become boring after a couple of hours but at least you know that area has been covered fairly well, although you will still miss items. Also by gridding you can know where you have been and leave that area until the next summer, when more coins may get dropped.
Think about where lots of people have been on the beach, more people = more coins=more detectorists ;;z = less coins.
Look on older maps to see if buildings have been demolished along the beach, may be pre WW2. Forgotten areas where people no longer go may have coins with Silver content.
Places where people fish, may have the odd coin, lead weight.
Whatever you decide, you have a massive area, so don`t give up if you don`t find much, you can always go somewhere else.
There is no certain way of finding lots of coins, you can try to narrow down the areas.
The main thing is to enjoy yourself and finds are a bonus, if you cover your petrol money that is good.
Good luck and let the Forum know how you get on. ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

european

Post by european » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:35 pm

My first try was a little bit disappointing.

Highly mineralized and wet sand. Not a very popular beach.

I discriminated everything under 75, Coin mode. Found only metal trash.
My aim is not only to find coins, my aim is also not-to-find metal trash like bottle caps.

Any hints?
Untill now I cannot see the benefits compared to Ace 150, 200, 250, etc.
Ok, the pin pointer is good.

But I did some tests with my own 1/2 € coins. It works.

I will try a more popular beach with volleyball fields.

I still have to learn a lot.

european

Post by european » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 pm

I've found 2,10 € searching for one hour.

But it was entirely dark (no flashlight). A big success for me.

I use the last 3 pixels in coin mode, everything else is discriminated.

Very interesting: No trash, no bottle caps (beer caps), we have millions of them.
But what I find is the openers of cans .

(https://de.freepik.com/fotos-kostenlos/ ... position=3)

Is there a way to discriminate them when finding them? A problem could be that they are aluminium-made.

Is there also a way to hear or notice if an item/coin is 20cm deep or just 5-10 cm (stronger, louder sound?)? I'm not sure if I want to dig too deep every time.

From 10 to 20 cm....the sand is wet. I use a sandscoop, great tool. But it works best in dry sand.
I ask because excluding everything from 10 to 25 cm would be much more efficient and fast. More positive feelings for the new hobby.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:56 am

european wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:43 pm

<cut>
Tomorrow my Garrett Ace 300i will be delivered.

<cut>

Maybe I also want to search in wet or damp sand for euro coins. What would you recommend here?

Best Wishes

European
If you want to search in wet or damp sand I would recommend NOT getting an Ace 300i, (the Garrett Ace series are good machines and great value for money, BUT they are known to be weaker on wet / damp sand), and I would go for a machine with a specific beach mode.

Sorry but that is the truth of the matter. Did you tell the seller that you wanted to detect wet sand?, if so they should have advised you of this and recommeded another machine.

As its now too late regarding the detector I would suggest that on the wet/damp sand you turn the sensitivity down as that will significantly reduce the falsing, but at the cost of depth.

Evan

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 am

european wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 pm
Is there also a way to hear or notice if an item/coin is 20cm deep or just 5-10 cm (stronger, louder sound?)? I'm not sure if I want to dig too deep every time.
No. The Ace doesn't have the capability of what would be "audio response" on such as the Deus. The signal volume is fixed, regardless of its depth.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:00 am

thefiggis wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 am
european wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:32 pm
No. The Ace doesn't have the capability of what would be "audio response" on such as the Deus. The signal volume is fixed, regardless of its depth.
I hate to state the obvious ..... but ... the Ace300i does have a Coin Depth Indicator (right hand side of the display) marked 5,10, 15, 20+ CMs.

However, as with ALL metal detectors, even top models, this is a GUIDE only. A coin that is flat in the ground will return a stronger signal than one on edge at the same depth, hence it will show as being shallower than the on edge coin.

On the official Garrett ACE300i page https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ ... in_en.aspx you will see the manual if you have not already read one and links to videos that will help you get the best out of the machine.

Evan

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:11 am

Of course, Evan ::g But "depth indicator" = "ashtray on a motorbike" on these machines (if anything it's less useful!) It's the one part of the display on my 400i that gets totally ignored as it means nothing. As you say, depth indicator should really read "conductivity strength".
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 am

thefiggis wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:11 am
Of course, Evan ::g But "depth indicator" = "ashtray on a motorbike" on these machines (if anything it's less useful!) It's the one part of the display on my 400i that gets totally ignored as it means nothing. As you say, depth indicator should really read "conductivity strength".
An "ashtray on a motorbike" is very useful ...
if
a) You smoke
b) You never use the motorbike
:)) :)) :))

I notice European said in the initial post " I'm about to buy a Garret ACE 400i " hence thread is in the 400i forum.
But in a subsequent post said "Tomorrow my Garrett Ace 300i will be delivered".

I do not know if they had a case of finger trouble, as I frequently do, or if they changed their mind and got the 300i instead. So I am not even 100% certain of which machine we are talking about and trying to give advice on.

Evan

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:39 am

Saffron wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 am
An "ashtray on a motorbike" is very useful ...
if
a) You smoke
b) You never use the motorbike
:)) :)) :))
:)) True! :))

Yeah, I noticed the 300i slipped in, too, but aside from Iron Audio which you only get on the 400i the differences are minimal. I put it down to a finger slip but it would be useful to know which machine we are actually talking about ::g
Essential equipment:
Jenkins
Gin.

european

Post by european » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:01 pm

It's 300i, maybe this thread should be moved.
Today it's raining.
So on wet sand a lower sensitivity is required like "3 or 4 off max" ?

Thank you for all your help.

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Moved to the 300 forum now but the original advice you were seeking was for a 400. so I’ll ammend your original post too ::g
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 4 so far in 2018 h;@

european

Post by european » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:40 pm

I've found a lot of 1 € coins. With only using the last 3 pixels. But it is work to find and dig for coins!

But I have a lot of "15 cm"-signals . Then I dig 15 cm(from there it is very wet sand, also mineralized), put my detector in the small hole, then it says again 15 cm.

5-10 cm is the best :-)

And sometimes the detector/pinpointer is not exact enough. I have to dig the hole again, little bit more right or left. I'm only using the sand scoop.

Any hints how to handle that?
Can someone explain me how to discriminate/exclude can rings? ( https://www.colourbox.de/bild/dosen-ringe-bild-7253508 )

But there are places/beaches where no other detector was.
If it is enough fun the next months my plan is to move into the water next season(not with garrett Ace 300i, maybe Garrett AT). I'm a snorkeler and freediver (up to 3,5 metres) and this could be a very nice combination.
Who has experience with beaches and depths of 1 to 2 metres?

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 am

Keep in mind that, apart from coins the other (and actually most worthwhile) thing to find on the beach is jewelry....rings mainly because they slip off cold wet fingers.
You haven't mentioned that aspect. Do you not want to find them? Because if you over-do the discrimination then you will severely limit your chances of ever finding anything other than a bit of change. Which frankly, though enjoyable as far as it goes, doesn't really justify the expense of the machine and the time and the transport. Its the hope of pulling out something a bit more interesting and valuable that keeps beach detecting interesting.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

european

Post by european » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:21 am

Yes you are right. I thought about this aspect. I do not have the chance of finding something unusual, something interesting.

When I choose the yewelry mode does this also include coins?

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Hello, ring pull tabs come in on 70`s. If you discriminate those out , you will hardly find any coins.
Various modes mean certain blocks of discrimination, so jewelry will still find coins, if you are not blocking them out. At home just turn the detector on, go through the modes and you will see what is getting blocked.
For coins, use custom, discrim below 60, this will get you all coins and any silver gold that possibly may be there. These settings will stay on the detector even if you don`t use it for months and can then be changed simply in a 2nd.
There is no Gaurantee for finding but this will give you a very good chance. Just need to walk over it.
Good Luck ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

european

Post by european » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:58 pm

The jewelry mode seems to be the best. Discriminating too much is bad.
I've found 8 € today in one hour on a beach. On a smaller beach the result was 3 silver pendants.
Better results come through experience and knowledge, how to handle the sand scoop, the pin pointer function, use the feet first for digging if its 15 cm or deeper.

A lot of trash also.
Which is good, it shows that no one was there before.

european

Post by european » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:35 pm

What to do if the Ace 300i goes "wild" ? Signals everywhere, sometimes the detector is beeping around like crazy. What could be the reason? Radio tower signals? Wet sand?

Who has experience with searching when there is low tide? Even at the baltic sea this can be +- 30cm or 1 metre if there is land breeze.

The sand is really wet. To dig 10-15 cm is possible. From 10cm its really hard to dig with a sand scoop.
Any hints?

I'm finding about 5 € of change in 1 hour when detecting fast. But there are differences between beaches. The "ring pull" to coin ratio is about 1/3 to 1/9. Still a lot of work, but it is a nice feeling finding 2 €.

But there are "party beaches" with a lot of young people partying in the summer evenings. The ring pull to coin ratio here is between 1/15 up to 1/50 ! Which means 50 ring pulls bring you 1 coin. This is a lot of work and can't be justified.

Who has experience with "what is in the low tide sand" ? This is what interests me !
there can't be lot of ring pulls or trash. People leave it on the dry beach.

Thank you

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:57 pm

The 300i is the same as the 400i, apart from a different coil.
On wet sand the 400i will constantly false and I would imagine the 300i will be the same. Try turning down the sensitivity may help.
Very high tides in Winter will remove, articles from the dry sand and they will either get washed somewhere else or end up in the wet sand.
Cheers ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

european

Post by european » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 pm

ok thanks. And the detector is finding highly mineralised stones on wet ground.
What to do here?

Return to “Garrett ACE 300i Forum”