Which NEL for my Garrett 300i

Garrett Ace 300i Metal detector Topics Only.
Rossco

Which NEL for my Garrett 300i

Post by Rossco » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am

Hi all, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Using the 300i and want to upgrade the coil for a NEL.
The Thunder looks great but almost £60 more than the Tornado. So I was leaning toward the Tornado. Then a guy in our club said he likes the Hunter...

Been on YouTube, watched everything, still undecided... What do you all think?

I'll be mainly on pasture or plowed, only occasionally on woods. Thank you. ::g

If you've lost your faith in love and music the end won't be long.
I dont believe in any thing they say is "set in stone".

Muddyknee

Re: Which NEL for my Garrett 300i

Post by Muddyknee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am

Just started running the Tornado on my 400i,reviews suggested it was the best overall compromise between price,weight,size,depth and pinpointing abilities.
Found a Vicky penny last week on uncultivated pasture at around 14",plus it seems to firm up targets at shallower depths that the stock coil might've given me a 'meh' response.
Very happy with it,but be prepared to carry your stock coil with you if you're likely to encounter any undergrowth.
People don't change when they see the light.....
......they only change when they feel the heat.
Garrett Ace 400i
Nel Tornado
NCMD No 19622

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Muddyknee wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am
Just started running the Tornado on my 400i,reviews suggested it was the best overall compromise between price,weight,size,depth and pinpointing abilities.
Found a Vicky penny last week on uncultivated pasture at around 14",plus it seems to firm up targets at shallower depths that the stock coil might've given me a 'meh' response.
Very happy with it,but be prepared to carry your stock coil with you if you're likely to encounter any undergrowth.
Thanks for that, great reply really helpful info. cheers
If you've lost your faith in love and music the end won't be long.
I dont believe in any thing they say is "set in stone".

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:23 pm

ALL coils are a compromise, by being stronger in one area it means they are relatively weaker in another. So to a large extent it depends on what is important to you, eg sensitivity / depth / separation.
If you have not seen it I very strongly recommend this page as it gives a breakdown of the various aspects of the Nel coils http://nelcoil.com/index.php?route=common/home

I actually used the Nel Tornado on the Garrett 250 and thought it was a very good upgrade, I got it for the extra ground coverage but felt it did give extra depth over the standard coil. So I would certainly recommend it.
The extra weight was not an issue, but the balance of the machine was not so good and you did notice the difference in swing (I never did but reducing the stem length could resolve this by posts I have seen since about larger coils).
I know others that also used the Tornado on Garretts and highly rate it.

When I was looking at getting the new coil for the 250 I saw something that said the Hunter was not popular, and unlike the Tornado which is fairly common, I have not seen any in use.

Evan

Return to “Garrett ACE 300i Forum”