Garret 300i One way signal

Garrett Ace 300i Metal detector Topics Only.
Pilly

Garret 300i One way signal

Post by Pilly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Took delivery of my 300i today but was a litle perplexed at the results of my initial garden test. All of the signals I picked up were one-way, that is, no signal on the return pass, with the exception of one or two known large clumps of iron buried deep. I tried a flat sweep and an angled sweep at various heights to try to get a signal on the return sweep, to no avail. Most of the small signals in my garden are going to be nails and screws with the odd coin slipping out on the lawn in summer.

Mode = Coins
sensitivity = 6, 7 and 8
Discrim = F1
Protective cover fitted

Additionally, when I dug a signal that sounded reasonable, the signal then disappeared altogether. Nothing there!

What am I doing wrong?

Oxgirl36

Re: Garret 300i One way signal

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Hmmmm could be a few things. Check all cables are tightly fitted and the cable is coiled round the stem correctly so you don’t detect the cable itself.

Then, when you switch it on, do it with the coil in the air, away from all big metal items (like cars, oil tanks, etc) and any overhead cables. Count to 10 slowly and then return it to the ground.
If you have done all of these things then I haven’t a clue. Suggest you put down some test items (coins, etc) and see if it does it with those?

Good luck and if those things don’t work and it’s doing the same thing with the test items it might be faulty :-/ Contact your supplier :E
XP Deus
12 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - just 4 so far in 2018 h;@

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Personally i would not use "coin" mode
By doing so you have already by nature of the coin settings put in place a metric tonne of discrimination
Try all metal and try to learn the tones for different items.....make yourself a makeshift test bed with coins, rings, ring pulls and whatever else you might expect to find in the field.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Pilly wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:08 pm
Most of the small signals in my garden are going to be nails and screws with the odd coin slipping out on the lawn in summer.

Mode = Coins
sensitivity = 6, 7 and 8
Discrim = F1
Protective cover fitted

Additionally, when I dug a signal that sounded reasonable, the signal then disappeared altogether. Nothing there!

What am I doing wrong?
The above highlighted text in coin mode was exactly what i would expect to happen
Nails and screws are not coins so the machine has done as you asked and tried its best to discrim them out
Try all metal and see if there is a difference
::g
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:50 pm

I started with the Ace 250 and that was a great machine and fantastic value for money, and the 300i was introduced after I got my 250 and also has a very good reputation.

I agree with BA about the use of "All Metal" being a better choice than coin mode (also remember that the Garrett is a US make and US coins are made of different metals to UK coins !!! (hence I never used "coin mode").

Frequently a detector (even top of the range ones) will locate a target, but not be able to be 100% about what it is [There has been arecent thread about this]. I strongly expect this is the cause of your problem, especially as you are discriminating out a lot of targets. Imagine you have a small target, lets say a British coin that is made of a metal that the by using coin mode you are discriminating out and its on its edge, now swing the detector over it one way and you will only detect the edge which means the machine incorrectly determines the metal so it gives a signal, now move and swing at 90 degrees to the initial sweep and you will hit the full size of the coin enabling the detector to relise its an unwanted metal due to use of coin mode and therefore not give a signal.

"Additionally, when I dug a signal that sounded reasonable, the signal then disappeared altogether. Nothing there!" As above. Machine incorrectly thought it was a "good target" so gave a signal, by digging it you either moved it giving the machine a better chance to identify the target or by just removing the top layer of soil it enabled the machine to get a cleaner signal. I am sure if you had looked properly you would have found a small nail or such - just that by using "coin mode" the machine ignored it.

"All Metal" is the way to go, at least initially until you know the machine much better.

Evan

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Great observation and advice from 'Blackadder43' ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 pm

If you have room in your garden, conduct your own tests with various targets, flat/angled and varying depths. Not ideal but should help.
CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-Find 25 pro pointer, XP Deus, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche digging tool, plastic sand scoop.

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:34 am

Great advice above and you really do need to knock off all discrimination and try again.

Another reason for one-way signals on these machines is masking by a discriminated object. For example, you have a nail closely to the left of a coin. When you pass the coil over them from right to left the coil sees the coin first and gives a signal but on the return swing it sees the nail first and discriminates it out and, not having a fast enough recovery time, it doesn't "see" the coin. However, this wouldn't be the case for every signal as you describe, and doing more swings at right-angles usually sorts it.

Try the good suggestions above and see if they work for you.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

Pilly

Post by Pilly » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:37 am

I knew I must have been doing something wrong.

So, my mission today then is to...

Make a test bed with coins, rings, ring pulls etc, and learn the tones

Learn to differentiate between tones in foreign and native coins

Set discrimination to minimum

Avoid using coin mode (factory setting)

Sweep from a different radius/orientation

Check all cables are tightly fitted and switch on in the air

Count to 10, and calm down :-L

Thanks for the great support peeps, I'm all over it ::g

Return to “Garrett ACE 300i Forum”