Deep soil Pasture

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
KernowViking

Deep soil Pasture

Post by KernowViking » Wed May 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Afternoon all!

I'm *Hopefully* heading out to a new permission of mine on saturday, with the 400i and standard coil.

It's a 30 acre farm used for horses, and before that dairy. One field was possibly used for daffodil growing maybe 75+ years ago, so it's safe to say the majority of the land hasn't been ploughed.

I went for a scout around to talk to the owner, people who have worked the land etc, and they have told me there is a good 12+ inch of soil, over a mixed harder ground and bedrock.

The farm is recorded from the 1200's along with a since lost mill, and there's a large bronze/iron age settlement 100 yards away.

Am I to be expecting any finds to be really quite deep because of the soil?

And because of this (the whole purpose of the post! rl; ), what settings should I be going for?

I'm thinking keep the sensitivity high and don't discrim too much?

Thanks all

Rob

Garrett Ace 400i Still on "L" plates! ------------- NCMD registered

clint

Re: Deep soil Pasture

Post by clint » Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm

If it's definitely NOT iron...dig it!
Etrac.13" Ultimate Coil.CP3 TT`s
8x6 sef
Euroace.
Deteknix Pointer,camo,oh yeah! ...does what it says on the box..
Garrett Propointer..ok...(now it's fixed!)
Jeff`s big tool!

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed May 02, 2018 4:49 pm

clint wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:47 pm
If it's definitely NOT iron...dig it!
Trouble is, a couple of iron arrowheads have been found near by...

Saki

Post by Saki » Wed May 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Hey Kernowviking,
I would go custom. Notch out everything below 40 and the top 90's notch. Sensitivity, I would have 1 from the top. (For whispers, I may then put sensitivity up full for a few sweeps).
If the 400i is chatting too much, drop the sensitivity another notch
I would also turn off Iron and only sporadically turn it on when you get a decent signal.
And test all signals with the iron. Trust it, but only after you have dug a few to prove it
Be aware though that you may get deep ferrous showing up in the 80's.

I'm on deep pasture (untouched in a long, long time and a lot of it never machine ploughed)
These settings work for me, So long as there are no electric fences.
Good luck. Your about to hopefully enter paradise. Id be looking for pathways to and from the mill
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation."

lammy

Post by lammy » Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 pm

I use my 400i on relics alotwith iron audio off and mess about with it alot, custom mode 70 upwards will pick iron out deep, so to be honest i would try different settings and modes and see which find you the better stuff, there is no rush when your out enjoying yourself [:)
Garrett 400i, nell tornado. Best find 323-350 Gloria Exercitvs of the Constantine Dynasty

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Don't worry about settings too much until you have had a swing over it and find out what is actually there. If it busy than clear out the shallower stuff first. If it is quiet than you can ramp up the sensitivity and lower the discrimination straight away.

Remember that it is easy to damage pasture, especially when it is dry, and you won't get thanked for leaving unsightly scars all over it. Best of luck.
Equinox 800 x2

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Wed May 02, 2018 6:44 pm

KernowViking wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:43 pm

It's a 30 acre farm used for horses, and before that dairy. One field was possibly used for daffodil growing maybe 75+ years ago, so it's safe to say the majority of the land hasn't been ploughed.
Sounds very similar to my main permission Rob. The soil depth in some areas is as deep as you yours, but there are areas where the topsoil is half that and on thick gravel (stories of an ancient river bed and paths in some areas), so you may find something similar.

Do you know if there is wide-spread iron rubbish? Often the case where horses are kept. Personally I would start in zero-disc with sensitivity dropped two notches until you know what the area is like. When I find problems with iron, etc. I use pretty much what Saki described (other than I don't notch the top numbers).

Good luck!
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Wed May 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Tally ho!
All the best,
There’s a good chance of your site having been ploughed
The old school way at some point....
A lot of hoards were found by ploughmen and
Agricultural Land improvement way back when =D>
Could be earlier items floating about well within range.
Sakis set up sounds effective,
With the hard soil 12 inches down-the artefacts shouldn’t be deeper
Unless deliberately placed in a cut.
Looking forward to seeing your results
::g
Edit-I hope there’s not too much mince to dig for you
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Wed May 02, 2018 11:43 pm

lammy wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 pm
I use my 400i on relics alotwith iron audio off and mess about with it alot, custom mode 70 upwards will pick iron out deep, so to be honest i would try different settings and modes and see which find you the better stuff, there is no rush when your out enjoying yourself [:)
I initially started using it on Relics mode straight out of the box, until I realised I had no idea what it was discrimanating against!
I'm currently in custom discrim'd up to 25 (I think!) 2 bars from full sensitivity.

fred wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:44 pm
Don't worry about settings too much until you have had a swing over it and find out what is actually there. If it busy than clear out the shallower stuff first. If it is quiet than you can ramp up the sensitivity and lower the discrimination straight away.

Remember that it is easy to damage pasture, especially when it is dry, and you won't get thanked for leaving unsightly scars all over it. Best of luck.
This was my next thought. Leave it all open til I know what is there! The farm itself has never been detected, but with the scheduled site next door the rough area did get researched many years ago.

Saki wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 4:57 pm
Hey Kernowviking,
I would go custom. Notch out everything below 40 and the top 90's notch. Sensitivity, I would have 1 from the top. (For whispers, I may then put sensitivity up full for a few sweeps).
If the 400i is chatting too much, drop the sensitivity another notch
I would also turn off Iron and only sporadically turn it on when you get a decent signal.
And test all signals with the iron. Trust it, but only after you have dug a few to prove it
Be aware though that you may get deep ferrous showing up in the 80's.

I'm on deep pasture (untouched in a long, long time and a lot of it never machine ploughed)
These settings work for me, So long as there are no electric fences.
Good luck. Your about to hopefully enter paradise. Id be looking for pathways to and from the mill
Thanks for the pointers Saki, as Fred has said, I'll probably leave it mostly open to get a feel for the ground there, and then work to your advice. I had initially started using iron audio on, but have found I do get on better without it

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Thu May 03, 2018 6:27 am

They had a push during the war to get most land under crop because of food shortages so it was probably ploughed then. Hammies don't always sink much due to their light weight and small size also objects can be brought to the surface by burrowing animals. So plenty of scope to rescue some history even on pasture. Make sure you put your sods back neatly. If it's grazed then the grass will be short so it still might look a mess by the end of the day though. Hopefully the farmer will know that no permanent damage is being done but might be worth mentioning it to him if you get the chance.

KernowViking

Post by KernowViking » Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 am

Quoin wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:27 am
They had a push during the war to get most land under crop because of food shortages so it was probably ploughed then. Hammies don't always sink much due to their light weight and small size also objects can be brought to the surface by burrowing animals. So plenty of scope to rescue some history even on pasture. Make sure you put your sods back neatly. If it's grazed then the grass will be short so it still might look a mess by the end of the day though. Hopefully the farmer will know that no permanent damage is being done but might be worth mentioning it to him if you get the chance.
I'm in quite a lucky position I think. It's been really quite muddy up there this winter/spring so the horses have made quite a mess already.

I have an agreement with the farmer that I can follow the horses as they get rotated around the fields before they chain harrow. They rotate them every couple of months which gives me loads of time, considering I only get 1 day off a week, and only 3 this year have been dry!

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”