Hoping to buy ACE 400i

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
tricky micky

Hoping to buy ACE 400i

Post by tricky micky » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Good afternoon
i started up my Ace 250 yesterday and it was bouncing and pinging all over the place i sort advise and told it was a box issue and out of warranty so in the bin it went.

i am hoping to buy a ACE 400i tomorrow can anyone offer best advise please to use the new machine any tips hints please what difference will it be against the 250 machine.

I bought a Neil tornado coil for my 250 can this be put onto the 400i or is the coil on it just as good

Sorry about the question put I am still new to detecting

thank you

i will have it in the garden before i hit a dig with it , i have a dig 250 miles from home so looking not to make a numpty of myself

Saffron

Re: Hoping to buy ACE 400i

Post by Saffron » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:13 pm

I am fairly sure that the Nel Tornado coil from the Ace 250 is fine on the 400i.
Edit: Just checked the Nel page and confirmed the coil for 250 and 400 are the same so your old coil will work fine on the new machine.

Double check what you were told about the problem with the 250 being in the control box, and hence putting it in the bin!. If you had the problem with the Nel Tornado coil try the machine with the original standard coil, or vice versa. If you get the same problem then yes it is the control box, but IMHO you are more likely to get a problem with either a coil or the connecting cable than the main box.

Also ensure the problem was not just in one location as there might have been EMI causing it.

Evan

Edit: should have also said try new batteries.
Last edited by Saffron on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Regarding using the 400i here is the official Garrett website for it, watch the videos for an excellent starting point https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_ ... in_en.aspx

I started with the Ace 250 and thought it was fantastic value for money, and although I have not used the 400i it also gets very good feedback.

Evan

stjimmy1980

Post by stjimmy1980 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:49 pm

I've had both machines and they both occasionally used to go a bit nuts . Have you tried replacing the batteries? As for the 400i it was excellent and found me loads, you can indeed put the tornado on it although I only used stock dd coil and found it did the job well. Notch out up to 40 and 2 off the sensitivity, all metal mode and away you go. It's a very capable machine . I didn't use the iron audio feature really and don't go by the numbers too much , best advice is if it gives a good 2 way signal then dig it. Good luck
Deus lite WS5
Garrett pin pointer
YT Ivys metal detecting UK

JonM

Post by JonM » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:01 pm

You won't go far wrong with the 400i, I still have mine as a very competent back up machine and of course it will never be sold on. This is just my opinion however I do find the Iron Audio feature useful especially in areas such as field gateways where farm traffic/machinery have passed. In a nutshell, the 400i is a very worthy machine however I have never used anything other than the stock coil but the Garrett wireless Z-Lynk headphones in my opinion are a great game changer for the machine.
Makro Multi Kruzer.
Golden Mask ONE 24khz with WS 106.
Nokta Pointer.
GP Pointer.
NCMD Member.

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:08 pm

hello, get it out the bin !!!!!!!!!!!, try new batteries, re setting, check coil plug, dirt under coil cover, theres all sorts that might be but its not a binner until you check out proper, and have you checked warranty, who told you it was a duff box, ???

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:10 pm

garrettoldboy wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:08 pm
hello, get it out the bin !!!!!!!!!!!, try new batteries, re setting, check coil plug, dirt under coil cover, theres all sorts that might be but its not a binner until you check out proper, and have you checked warranty time since you purchased? who told you it was a duff box, ???

tricky micky

Post by tricky micky » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you for all the reply's , i bought the ACE 400i and can not wait to get out with it , i have read and youtube-ed it to death now so should be able to master it x; , looking forward to starting again with different tones and everything , someone should put a big sticky post up saying "Metal Detecting is Addictive" ::g

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”