Why Buy a Z Lynk TX/RX for a non wireless machine

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
DingDong

Why Buy a Z Lynk TX/RX for a non wireless machine

Post by DingDong » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 pm

As newbie the most annoying thing I find is having to y=take my headset off to put the detector down and dig.

Looked at the z-lynk and decided far too expensive and you have to remember to charge both bits or buy and cary a usb battery pack.

So I bought an 18" headset extension lead fitted it to the control box with a stress relief loop which also means any rain will run down the cable and drip off the lower bend See pic 1

Taped the lead up the back of the S bend to the under side of the arm cup, placed the socket on the left side and secured it with 2 tie wraps.

The socket has heatshrink on it with a very tight fit and extend past the front face so it covers the headset plug end when it is fitted. See pic 2.

pic 3 is the headset plugged in.

Its positioning on the left side is intentional my right hand is holding the detector so when I want to put it down I use my left hand to unplug it, hold the plug, place 400i on the ground the transfer plug to right hand and stick it in pocket. If you are left handed put it on otherside..

Total cost less than £4

Not happy with gaps at back of control box cover so going to fix a 2" wide strip of canvas to the inside on the left which can run across left to right and tuck in the other side completely protecting the plugs when unit is on the ground

Hope it helps folks

ding dong
Pic 1 v2.jpg
Pic 2 v2.jpg
Pic 3 v2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Easylife

Re: Why Buy a Z Lynk TX/RX for a non wireless machine

Post by Easylife » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 am

Hi Ding Dong, I can completely relate to your logic if on a budget. But have to say that once you have actually tried wireless there is just no going back to being tethered at all. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 am

not a case of budget more a case of better things to spend it on, almost bought the Z-lynk TX/TX system for £80 and decided not worth it, like I said charging a pain in the butt, ever gone out and had your phone die , certainly would not spend £150 on a wifi headset to use with a wifi enabled detector.

I would use a wifi h/set if supplied with a detector but if it or control box failed would revert to something like I described.

Spent 50yrs in avionics/electronics, experience says simple is best and usually most long term reliable .

Don't like being ripped off, when in automotive electronics manufacturing we made a computer module for a car company we got £222, if you wanted an EXCHANGE unit £1000+

Basically basically company makes or gets it made for X, marks it up to disty 100%, disty marks it up 100% and retailer marks it up 25%, so basically £200 goes to £400, then £800 and finally a grand

dingdong

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 am

So you makes your choice and pays your money. Just add some simple wired headphones as backup. x;
White's TDI SL

chip

Post by chip » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:03 am

I did something similar on my at pro but to use with my sennheiser wireless headphones before the z-lynk came out. I had to use the Garret 2 pin to standard headphone socket adapter and ran the lead underneath over the back and down onto the out side of the plastic stand which protected the connection from the mud when the detector was put down. Which I then plugged in the sender which was fixed to the opposite side via elastic.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Easylife wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 am
So you makes your choice and pays your money. Just add some simple wired headphones as backup. x;
if you have the TX/RX system obviously don't need to carry extra phones just disconnect TX/RX boxes put them back in stowage box and into pocket, then plug your headset into control box.

That raises a question do wireless enabled detectors still have an emergency jack socket of some sort, hopefully a bog standard 6.3mm

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Easylife wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 am
DingDong wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 pm

That raises a question do wireless enabled detectors still have an emergency jack socket of some sort, hopefully a bog standard 6.3mm.
Well, the Deus has a 3.5mm jack.
White's TDI SL

chip

Post by chip » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Garret at max still has a headphone socket so it can be used with it’s fully waterproof headphones down to 3m.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:01 pm

good to see they do.

reminds me of cars in the forties & fifties (maybe 60s as well) although they had a starter motor they still kept the starting handle, took many years before they had enough confidence in the new method to kill the starting handle.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 pm

as with a lot of things. Its personal choice.

also depends on type of detecting.

on a sandy beach or arable I rarely put the detector down.

On pasture it different as artefact are often in the grass roots, which are very difficult to receive one handed.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 pm

DingDong wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:49 pm
positioning on the left side is intentional my right hand is holding the detector so when I want to put it down I use my left hand to unplug it, hold the plug, place 400i on the ground the transfer plug to right hand and stick it in pocket. If you are left handed put it on otherside..
Its all about functionality ... no wires ... just freedom. That would be my numero uno requirement when choosing a detector, and next is weight... finally comes the gizmo's.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”