what are the odds of success

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
DingDong

what are the odds of success

Post by DingDong » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 am

Hi,

have 400i with tornado coil on, have been asked by a farmer can I find a water pipe under his pasture field

He knows roughly where it is give or take 10 feet either side, it is a 1.5" bore metal pipe and he thinks about 2 foot deep.

With max sense is there any chance i can detect it, I have told him its doubtful but will give it a go.

cheers

dindong

Blackadder43

Re: what are the odds of success

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:41 am

Thats quite an ask but is possible
If he knows a rough whereabouts then ask him to scrape the first foot of earth off across where he thinks it is to give you a fighting chance

Edit:
I expect it to be deeper than 2 foot though unless he did it himself and didnt care about any regulations or someone digging that area up and rupturing it
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 pm

am radio and a lawnmower might work?

certainly works well on cables normally to over a meter but never tried on a pipe

search on YouTube

here's one to give you the idea

fred

Post by fred » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Pipes are supposed to be 2.5 feet down to avoid freezing but if it is permanent pasture it may even be more shallow than that. If he know to that precision where it is then you might just be able to do it. You are most likely to be listening for an iron signal that extends a long way. I've traced water pipes with a CTX before now although it would be far more reliable just to borrow or hire a Cat and Genny (pipe and cable tracer) from someone. Best of luck. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:25 pm

It should be detectable, but you have to use the correct method.
Use non-motion mode, which will be pinpoint mode on your machine. Hold the coil 12" to 18" above the surface of the ground, and then press the pinpoint button. Keeping the coil height constant, slowly walk forwards, you should hear the threshold noise rise as you pass over the pipe. Walk back and forwards over the target location to determine sweetspot, and mark it with a stone etc. Do this in a few places, and you will be able to plot a 'best-fit' line for it.
You may be able to increase sensitivity by slightly lowering the coil after pressing pinpoint, there may be a zone where you can keep it hovering on the silent/noisy threshold with small coil height adjustments.
:(

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi Fusion

thanks for such a detailed reply can I just clarify hold it at 12 -18" above ground, press and hold pinpoint and scan at that height, not lower it no normal scanning height

cheers

dingdong

boywonderwilson

Post by boywonderwilson » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:11 pm

is this pipe still in use? does it have a point of entry and a cap off point somewhere? if it flowing and still in use put a small current through either end ( car battery and jump leads) it will amplify any signal tenfold. hope this helps ...... BTW this will only work on running water if its a dead leg pipe i suggest using a cat and genny.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:28 pm

For starters:
Hold the coil 15 inches above the ground, with the coil flat.
Press pinpoint button.
Lower coil slightly, it should go from silent to a slight buzz of audio, as it picks up the ground more.
Proceed forwards, trying to maintain the coil height.

Coils/detectors do drift off, so after a minute or so, it may be an idea to repeat this procedure.
:(

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:36 pm

hello, you might pick up with your 400i as it is 1.5 inches and at 2 ft might get some iron sound and expect galvanized iron, i use to find buried water pipes using 2 copper coated gas welding rods when i worked in the Water industry, check out a few videos, when you find dig a small slit trench 2 ft wide across the centre of pinpoint, i am sure if you find the farmer will be pleased,

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:17 pm

thanks ket you know when I have tried, probably early new year.

dingdong

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”