Reference/ Test chart for materials

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
Beachcomber

Reference/ Test chart for materials

Post by Beachcomber » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 am

Just knocked this up quickly for myself- so may as well share in case it will help others.
Modify to suit your own neeeds of course.
98;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Easylife

Re: Reference/ Test chart for materials

Post by Easylife » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 am

It really just doesn't work like that, just too many variables. ::g
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 am

Is this something you've found on the net, and modified to suit your typical targets ? It looks like the kind of analysis the US guys do, and the US spelling of jewellery seems to confirm this.
I question why you've indicated that coins can be grouped by size - small/medium/large, without mentioning what metal they're made from. Silver threepences read pretty high up the scale, despite being tiny. Post-2012 10p coins are medium/large, but read as iron. I assume mention of gold coins is down to beginners optimism?

Having said that, once you've filled in a lot of the blanks, it should give you some useful idea about what goes on. It may show that 'low conductors' are hard to find on the wet beach, for example. I assume most detectorists tend to build up this chart in their head eventually.
Last edited by Fusion on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:(

shaggybfc

Post by shaggybfc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 am

I did a very similar exercise about a year ago with an Ace 250. I dug everything and logged every detail about all finds - ground condition, 90 degree swing readings, material, position it lay in the ground etc.... I did this for about 2 months. It was a labourious task. I used a dictaphone. I was convinced that I'd be able to prove definitive correlations between it all!
Was it useful? - maybe, even if it was to reinforce learning the machine.
Was it a waste of time? no, it's all helps to learn a machine, but it will drive you mad trying to put exact science in to it. I gave up once I was happy I could recognise a target 70ish% of the time.
Do I do it with the Deus? nope - I just dig and learn

Good luck
Andi
XP Deus, 11" X35 coil, WS4 back-phones, remote and an empty bank balance. XP MI 6 pin pointer. Garrett Ace 250 wireless MPow set up.
They told me I’d never be any good at poetry, because I’m dyslexic, but so far I’ve made 3 jugs and a vase.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 am

Hello Beachcomber ::g Firstly, thanks for producing this which you have done for the benefit of others ::g I can see that producing something akin to this chart would seem like a good and quite logical thing to do for any newcomer to the hobby but as said, there are just too many factors involved to allow such a chart to provide any meaningful reference value.

Perhaps in a specific location where the ground conditions are liable to remain constant there could be some gain. I think in general detecting, it would soon be dispensed with for the reasons given by this and other replies.

It shows you are serious about improving your detecting knowledge and skills though ::g

Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 pm

I knocked this up just a few days after getting my 400i I haven't even used it yet- but thought it my be of some use in getting used to the numbers on the 400i at least.
I am in UK despite the spelling of Jewellery (that bit was taken from the Garrett 400i Manual).
As I spent the time making it- I thought it would be nice to sharre it. You don't have to use it if you so wish of course.
All the best
::g

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”