Ghost signals

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
Davies13

Ghost signals

Post by Davies13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:53 am

Hi

I've been using my 400 for a while now and I have found for a 1st detector it does a very good job. I've pulled out handfuls of coins on most digs. However I have noticed more and more lately that I am hitting a week non ferrous signal that only pings every 5 or 6 swipes over with the detector and shows as being very deep. When I try to dig (out of curiosity more than anything) the signal often completely disappears.

Sensitivity has been 3-4 notches off full.

Any ideas?

garrettoldboy

Re: Ghost signals

Post by garrettoldboy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am

hello, what setting are you using ?

Davies13

Post by Davies13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 am

Set to COINS with sensitivity 3-4 notches back. Iron audio on

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:23 am

Davies13 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 am
hello, i had a similar experience on a freshly ploughed field then rolled, but not the same setting on the euro ace, you could try after getting a good signal reverting back to all metal mode,? quite often the items were located in the side of the hole as the pinpoint became less accurate, good luck

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am

garrettoldboy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:23 am
Davies13 wrote:
hello, i had a similar experience on a freshly ploughed field then rolled, but not the same setting on the euro ace, you could try after getting a good signal reverting back to all metal mode,? quite often the items were located in the side of the hole as the pinpoint became less accurate, good luck
hello, just to add i only used the euro ace on one setting, custom mode, video by mondzstudio, worth a try on your 400

Junior

Post by Junior » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:07 am

I get similar thing with the 3030 occasionally ...fine to start with ....then disappears when u have a heap of soil out....do u just use you coil in the spoils or a pinpointer ? I've found a lot of my issues were rusted nuts or bolts found in the spoil heap with the pinpointer, and once out were getting disc ed by the machine ::g

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 am

To Davies13,
Have you tried reducing your sensitivity an incrim at a time , from the setting on your sensitivity where the ghosting is happening,and see if the ghosting stops as you decrease sensitivity.?
Ghosting can sometimes be a cause of using too much Sensitivity, especially in land with pockets of high mineralisation present..

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:18 am

Davies13 wrote:
I'm gonna stick my head above the parapet here and say "Coins" mode is made really and truthfully for the USA market and not the UK market
Heres why
Coin mode is not a magic solution that finds all coins
It is however a set up with plenty of discrimination added to "only" find items in a very tight "coin" range on the conductivity scale

In the USA they do not have the history we have, they mainly go coin shooting
They do not have hammered coins over there so they can relatively safely discriminate out pulltabs etc (Coin mode)
In the UK we have hammered coins, we do not want to discriminate pulltabs out as they "often" sound like hammered coins and vice versa

My advice to you is not to use coin mode, because you have automatically instructed your machine to discriminate out many many good finds in the UK
It would pay you to spend an hour or 2 experimenting with items buried at a respectable distance of say 6 inches, like a pull tab, a victorian coin, a modern coin and a cheap hammered coin bought from an auction site
This will allow you to sweep over in coin mode and then switch to all metal mode and see if there is a difference, it will also teach your ears what sounds to listen out for
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:28 am

Junior wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:07 am
I get similar thing with the 3030 occasionally ...fine to start with ....then disappears when u have a heap of soil out....do u just use you coil in the spoils or a pinpointer ? I've found a lot of my issues were rusted nuts or bolts found in the spoil heap with the pinpointer, and once out were getting disc ed by the machine ::g

It is slightly different with the 3030. Good targets deeper than the sound or meter target ID ranges can still give indeterminate whispers which your experience suggests might be good. The test for a good un is whether the signal gets worse or better after the first spit is out. If it improves then carry on, if it's worse then it's usually iron so move on. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Davies13 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:53 am

only pings every 5 or 6 swipes over with the detector.
pinpoint the centre of the target

short jiggle either side of the centre

should give a ring both when swinging from the left and from the right

if not change the swing over the target from an East West direction to a North South direction

if there is no improvement its probably a false signal. On ploughed scrap the surface if the signal doesn't improve move on. On pasture I would probably just move on depending on how iffy the signal is. If its close to a good signal then cut a clod and retest.

Davies13

Post by Davies13 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tend to keep the sensitivity quite low. I've been talking it up a little when I've gone a while with no beeps. Just curious as to these faint signals and why they sometimes completely disapeer.

Thanks for the advice on not using coins. I'll have a play about with the settings on Sunday.

I'm lookin at upgrading to an equinox at some point in the near future

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:50 pm

There`s no harm in upping the sensitivity IF the ground condition will allow it. If the ground is neutral you will be able to get your sens` high, but if its getting on for mineralised or highly mineralised,its better to keep it down . Think along the theory of why its best to drive on dipped headlights in the Fog rather than drive on full beam .

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi ,
Have been using the 400i for nearly 2.5 years.
Tend to use in Custom, with just 2 bars off Max sensitivity.
Discrim below 60, iron audio off.
This will find you all the metals.
On wet grass sometimes need 3 off max sensitivity due to falsing.
Occasionally a " Ghost " signal will be a very deep, piece of plough or similar.
Pinpoint mode is generally bang on for accuracy.
Cheers and Good Luck ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Just to add..on the disappearing signals issue....No matter what your machine it will always sound a signal that is not disturbed better than one that is.
So, make sure you remove all the loose stuff from your hole because often the find is in that stuff but because it is loose and not in impacted earth the signal disappears. Happens very very often. So remove all loose spoil from holes if a signal goes AWOL.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”