Is this about right?

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
DingDong

Is this about right?

Post by DingDong » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi All

being doing a bit of testing and would appreciate opinions on results

4001 new Duracell batteries, test done with stock coil and Tornado

OLD 2p piece under an 18cm thin plastic pot filled with damp fertiliser (bag is open and outside but covered ie it is not dried out.

Sensitivity 2 notches from max, coin not detected but pinpoint indicates something there

Sensitivity 1 notch from top both coils detect it with outer edges of coil not central part of D, pinpoints spot on

Sensitivity max both coils detect it with centre of D and do so if i raise it up from surface level by 5cm

I am following setting recommendations in Garrett handbook and have been scanning 2 notches down, seems to me I am probably missing stuff and or is my detector duff.

Additionally
Max depth for an NEW 5p piece 5cm both coils

cheers

dindong

Easylife

Re: Is this about right?

Post by Easylife » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:58 am

It sound like you are using steel core coins for your tests. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:13 am

hi Easy

The 2p is 1987 I thought thy were cupro nickel

The 5p is 2012 so just abt ll steel and comes uo in the iron range.

I should have said I was using zero disc

cheers

dingdong

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 am

I tried a similar experiment once and concluded that a test 'pot' would need to be about twice the coil width wide to get any consistent stable meaningful results. You may as well just do an air test on various targets just for reference knowing that in the ground you will get less depth determined by ground conditions.
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

fred

Post by fred » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:47 am

The depths don't look at all right but be very wary about trying to follow settings in user manuals. The instructions are often unclear and a small mistake can make a lot of difference and anyway you don't know what they were trying to achieve. There is a world of difference between setting up for absolute stability to encourage a beginner in an American park or for maximum depth in a field in the UK.

There are lots of previous discussions on these forums, plenty of videos on setting up detectors on Youtube and you can always experiment with the settings yourself. Assuming the machine is ok it sounds as though you have either discriminated or notched out the targets or reduced the sensitivity too much.

The flower pot arrangement is unlikely to do much other than confuse the machine with sudden changes of ground conditions as you swing. As Easylife said just do air tests to start with. Also experiment using coins where there is less chance of encountering iron and steel. An old penny, halfpenny or a pound are likely to be more consistent while a rusty nail will help you understand what you are discriminating out.

Best of luck. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Should be picking both of those coins up, as have dug them on the beach. Have found the 5p is the trickiest to locate as it does give a scratchy signal. Pinpoint is normally spot on for this.
Have you tried all the Modes, which have different pre set discriminations.
The mode I use for inland and dry sand is Custom, which discriminates below 60, 2 off Max Sensitivity and Iron Audio off. This should find you all decimals, lead Aluminium, Brass, Copper, Silver, Gold and anything else.
Hope this helps.
Cheers ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:32 pm

"I would appreciate opinions"
You're doing it wrong, unfortunately.
Metal detectors detect the targets, AND the ground they are buried in. They are designed to try and seperate what's 'target' and what's 'ground', for targets that are buried in the ground.
As a result, your plant pot test is unrealistic. As you sweep the coil, your machine sees a sudden large step up in ground signal, shortly followed by a rise and fall of the target signal, followed by a sharp drop in ground signal.
All that makes it hard on your machines electronics. It's broadly-speaking expecting a continuous gently-fluctuating ground signal. Hence you should preferably bury your test targets in real ground. If you must use a container of soil, it needs to extend at least 18" (50cm) each side of the target.
:(

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:35 pm

THANKS ALL,

I will repeat the test with older copper and an old 5p peace, then stick them in mt bag and next hole i dig after removing target will place them in there one at a time and put the plug back in, let you know when its done,

thanks for help and advice.

dingdong

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:12 pm

apols,

thought i had posted the update.

I did the test again in the field test using old copper coins and was happy with the results then found a ship 1/2p and a silver sixpence between 15-20cm.

Still often see a difference between indicated target depth and pin point target depth, sometimes one is right sometimes the other ?

thanks for the help.

dingdong

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:19 pm

DingDong wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Still often see a difference between indicated target depth and pin point target depth, sometimes one is right sometimes the other ?

thanks for the help.

dingdong
In the great words of Cap'n Barbossa when Elizabeth called:
"Parley"
And invoked the pirate's code

"The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules."

The above applies to depth readings on all our machines
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:31 pm

Regarding depth difference, I don`t really pay that much attention to the initial depth scale as I dig by sound. When using the pinpoint, which I only use occasionally as it does drain the batteries, there may be a precise moment when the target registers shallow on the scale, that is normally the location.
Not even sure if I make full use of the 400i, even though 2 and a half years on it but it is learning interesting little differences as you get more experience. Also by posting up any problems as you already have, someone may be able to give guidance which can help.
From the depths of your field tests you should now be ok, just remember that something interesting had to be lost or placed in the first place. Could be no one was even in the area, so don`t despair if nothing of interest emerges to start but a photo of your " junk " items can provide clues to Age and land use.
Good Luck and luck forward to seeing what you can find.
Cheers, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:04 am

dave

here are links to some images I posted b4, have also now found a George111 penny and a G6 silver sixpence plus lots of backs of brooches and what I think is the spoon end of a pewter desert soon

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=107145&p=949518#p949518

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=107034&p=948472#p948472

cheers

dingdong

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”