Ghost signals,and others.

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
Muddyknee

Ghost signals,and others.

Post by Muddyknee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 am

So my permissions are mainly pasture,and as such the grass grows.
Running my 400 one notch of maximum sensitivity to partially compensate for the height change,still sweeping low as possible,just a bit higher.
Consequently getting a few more ghost signals,prepared to accept this though because of the conditions.
What puzzles me though are other signals that show up strong sweeping say left to right,yet silence on the reverse sweep.
Pinpointing says there's something there,and iron audio may or not warn me off.
But it's that consistent yes/no signal that baffles.
My available detecting time is limited,so do I dig or move on?

People don't change when they see the light.....
......they only change when they feel the heat.
Garrett Ace 400i
Nel Tornado
NCMD No 19622

sweepstick47

Re: Ghost signals,and others.

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:24 pm

I suppose you've tried switching momentarily to 'All Metal' for confirmation of a target presence?
I personally wouldn't worry about decreasing the gain to obtain a quieter operation. Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Muddyknee

Post by Muddyknee » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:20 pm

Yep,played with disc settings,and occasionally pumped the coil.
Mostly the low tones appear,but not always negating the yes/no higher tones.
Obviously some potential targets contain mixed metals,or possibly higher quality steel can confuse the machine.
But it's that yes/no response that baffles me,either it's a target,or it's not.
And if it is then logically it should respond on either sweep.
But I'm like you,not too bothered by ghost signals.
A second sweep usually resolves most,plus it breaks the monotony.😉
Might even dig a couple,see what's what.
Garrett Ace 400i
Nel Tornado
NCMD No 19622

Edurley

Post by Edurley » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:07 am

I have recently had a bit of an eye opener while using the 400i, my main permission was ploughed fields that were very junky so would only dig the strong two way signals which works great and I think have had some good success. I don't really use the iron audio as I find pretty much every signal gives an iron grunt so just dig everything that is a good signal and isn't obviously iron, that might be due to mineralisation in the soil where I am but not too sure. The last few months I have been searching on some paddocks with 1 in particular that has been great, it is only about 1 acre but there is almost no junk at all there. The first few visits pulled up a couple of Romans and the usual predecimals using the same technique as I used on the ploughed fields, digging only those good signals. As it was so junk free I decided to crank it up to full sensitivity and just dig every single signal and I was very surprised. I started to dig out more roman grots, hammered and even my first cut quarter. these signals were reading in the 80s one way and 40s the other direction and even down into iron territory, ones that I would usually associate with deep iron, all over the place and not strong constant signals at all. Most of the time these weak signals disappeared once the plug was out and the pinpoint function became very useful in guiding me to whether the signal was out of the hole or not. It has definitely been my most productive permission but it has me wondering how much I have missed before now due to the types of signals that these finds have been giving, though I wouldn't want to be digging every bit of junk out of the other permissions and it is definitely all about the location too.
I guess what I am trying to say is that before, my experience was that these dodgy ghost signals were most likely tiny bits of junk but now having been on a junk free permission it has shown me that even the worst signal can be something great, they just take a little longer to locate as they can be tiny.
Ed ::g

Muddyknee

Post by Muddyknee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Cheers Ed,informative reply.
Current main permission has been good to me,quite a variety of finds.
Though I've found a small number of hammereds & Roman,have been pondering the relative lack in comparison to the range & number of other artifacts.
Based on what you've said am thinking some of these inconclusive signals may be of interest.
Only got 2-3 weeks left before I finish this field on the east-west axis,when the hay's cut will return on the north-south line.
Knowing I've probably cleaned up a majority of obvious finds will allow me to investigate the lesser signals,need some reward for all the damned lead I've dug.😉
Garrett Ace 400i
Nel Tornado
NCMD No 19622

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”