Wireless headphones for the 400i - budget set up

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
Pete E

Wireless headphones for the 400i - budget set up

Post by Pete E » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 am

MOD NOTE: Split posts from another topic
Emily wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:22 pm
They’re not cheap though, but I’d LOVE a pair. Especially as I use a harness to support the heavier coils so many cables!!....anyone offering to get some for me as a gift for Christmas. Pretty please 😝😁
What machine are you using Emily and does it have a built in Bluetooth function?

Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Emily

Re: any tricks or tips on detecting woodland

Post by Emily » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 am

Pete E wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 am
Emily wrote:
They’re not cheap though, but I’d LOVE a pair. Especially as I use a harness to support the heavier coils so many cables!!....anyone offering to get some for me as a gift for Christmas. Pretty please 😝😁
What machine are you using Emily and does it have a built in Bluetooth function?
I don’t know if it has Bluetooth......I’m on the Garrett 400i
Live long and prospect 🖖🏻

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 am

Emily wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 am
Pete E wrote:
Emily wrote:
A quick google suggests it doesn't have built in Bluetooth..If you fancy a budget set up, look at the items listed in my signature..The headphones are available as "refurbished" from that well known auction site and were listed for £18, but they accepted on offer of £15 delivered..

The Tao Bluetooth transmitter was from that South American sounding seller site for about £22..

If you do decide to ask Father Christmas for these, go for the exact models mentioned as they are Low Latency and have no perceivable lag in use. Other models with similar model numbers are not low latency and you then get lag...

I have used the set-up on my Racer since March and its been an excellent budget set up...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:46 am

Emily wrote:
Pete E wrote:
Emily wrote:
The only ones I'm aware of for the 400i are the Z-Lynk Emily. Not cheap, as you say, but they do work really well. Sometimes available on the infamous online auction site.

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

Emily

Post by Emily » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:46 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:46 am
Emily wrote:
Pete E wrote:

The only ones I'm aware of for the 400i are the Z-Lynk Emily. Not cheap, as you say, but they do work really well. Sometimes available on the infamous online auction site.

Brad
Thank you. ☺️

Emily

Post by Emily » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Pete E wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 am
Emily wrote:
Pete E wrote:

A quick google suggests it doesn't have built in Bluetooth..If you fancy a budget set up, look at the items listed in my signature..The headphones are available as "refurbished" from that well known auction site and were listed for £18, but they accepted on offer of £15 delivered..

The Tao Bluetooth transmitter was from that South American sounding seller site for about £22..

If you do decide to ask Father Christmas for these, go for the exact models mentioned as they are Low Latency and have no perceivable lag in use. Other models with similar model numbers are not low latency and you then get lag...

I have used the set-up on my Racer since March and its been an excellent budget set up...
I have taken your advice, and have ordered them!! Ahhh!!

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Emily wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:46 pm
I have taken your advice, and have ordered them!! Ahhh!!
When you get the transmitter, it should have 6” cable which will plug into the headphone jack on the Garret...You will need a way of temp mounting the transmitter to detector..I superglued some Velcro onto my control box and the transmitter and that worked fine...

Re the headphones, if you have a smartphone download the August app and you can adjust the sound quality ie the treble and bass to how you like...

To pair the headphones there is simpler way than the instructions.

First turn on the transmitter and it will go into pairing mode and you will seems some LEDS flash red and blue I think..

Then push the on button on the headphones while listening to one of the cups and you will hear them warble..

Keep the button pushed and after about 6 or 7 seconds, you will hear the headphones warble again. Release the button on the headphones and watch the LEDs on the transmitter..

It will then take anything from a few minutes to pair but when succesfull you will see the transmitter LEDs go blue .

It will be fairly slow (a few minutes) the first time you do this but have patience and don't press any other buttons while its pairing even if you think its stuck... Once it has paired the first time, it will then pair quickly in further, only taking a minute or so at most.

Edited to add the Toa Transmitter *must* be the model with "aptX Low Latency" to work without any lag...

I initially tried a different brand (cheaper) than Toa and although it was advertised as low latency, the lag was horrible...

It was at that point somebody one here recommended the Toa Transmitter and that worked a treat..
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”