400i - a great choice for a 'newbie'

Garrett Ace 400i Metal detector Topics Only.
SuperRed

400i - a great choice for a 'newbie'

Post by SuperRed » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm

After deciding to take up detecting again I was obviously faced with a plethora of makes/models new to the market since I gave up a couple of decades ago. I researched videos/reviews, etc, but I also received some great advice from members of this forum - thank you.
I eventually kitted myself out with:

Garrett Ace 400i
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Garrett Easy Stow Headphones
Z-Lynk wireless kit
Garrett finds pouch
Joan Allen long-handled digger
Black Ada dagger and sheath

Apart from home-tests, I've only managed 3 visits to a local 10 acre meadow, but I am seriously impressed with the choices I made. The 400i is excellent and I can honestly say that I would recommend it to anyone shopping in this budget area. In 3 short trips, I have picked up 3 Roman coins, a nice thimble, buckles, several musket balls and an assortment of the usual.

The only two relatively minor issues I have, are the length of the arm support (could have been a little longer) and the very useful meter cover could have been a bit more generous to allow for the phones jack.

All-in-all a great machine and the preset modes are accurate.
Brad

Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Mud Max

Re: 400i - a great choice for a 'newbie'

Post by Mud Max » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:53 pm

Glad your happy Brad, it's a nice honest simple machine with great performance for the price.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Mud Max wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:53 pm
Glad your happy Brad, it's a nice honest simple machine with great performance for the price.
I'm very pleased Max - so important to have confidence in a machine.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

Roberts

Post by Roberts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:52 pm

All kitted out and ready to detect ::g did you buy the coffee thermos. :D

Glad that you are liking the 400i Red as it is the overhaul of all previous Ace models and well worth getting and one of the better detectors in its price range.

Yep saw a few of your finds, very nice. ::g
Deus xp WS4, 11 inch coil, Nokta pinpointer, Solid spade

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Not only a great choice for a newbie but a great choice full stop. Often described as a beginner's machine, it's far more capable than that and is excellent value for money.

Hope you enjoy using it.
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Roberts wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:52 pm
All kitted out and ready to detect ::g did you buy the coffee thermos. :D

Glad that you are liking the 400i Red as it is the overhaul of all previous Ace models and well worth getting and one of the better detectors in its price range.

Yep saw a few of your finds, very nice. ::g
Ah, knew I forgot something Rob! Actually, on my main site there is a kettle and microwave in the stables ;)
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:32 pm

thefiggis wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:56 pm
Not only a great choice for a newbie but a great choice full stop. Often described as a beginner's machine, it's far more capable than that and is excellent value for money.

Hope you enjoy using it.
Agreed John - thanks
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

englishkid19

Post by englishkid19 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:12 am

Ito very simple to build an extension bracket for the garretts. I had a euroace and the arm cup was too short for me. It extends the cup back nicely with two additional settings. Wing nut holds it all in place looks the job. I sold the euroace but have the arm extension sleeve still...as long as your 400i has the plastic stopper in the end where the cup is you can make one easy froman aluminum pipe..
Teknetics T2 & Deteknix wireless
GP pointer (<does the job >)
Follow on instagram... dirt_scanner

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:52 am

englishkid19 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:12 am
Ito very simple to build an extension bracket for the garretts. I had a euroace and the arm cup was too short for me. It extends the cup back nicely with two additional settings. Wing nut holds it all in place looks the job. I sold the euroace but have the arm extension sleeve still...as long as your 400i has the plastic stopper in the end where the cup is you can make one easy froman aluminum pipe..
Thanks for the tip English - I may try that. No idea why Garrett didn't make it slightly longer themselves, but perhaps if they receive enough feedback they may market their own extensions.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

JonM

Post by JonM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:32 pm

A great machine is the 400i, I can't ever envisage selling mine.
Makro Multi Kruzer.
Golden Mask ONE 24khz with WS 106.
Nokta Pointer.
GP Pointer.
DARC Member.
NCMD Member.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 am

It's very deserving that the Garret 400i is proving a big success with users.::g Noted for quality, reliability and an affordable pricing structure, it seems Garrett fans can look forward to more of the same in the future. As said sometimes, the lower price range machines are unjustly considered a 'starter machine' which is far from the reality of their performance capability.

As a former user of the 'Groundhog' VLF T/R back in the day, I'm remain a Garrett fan at heart.
Good Luck all. ::g ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 am
As said sometimes, the lower price range machines are unjustly considered a 'starter machine' which is far from the reality of their performance capability.
In my limited experience I agree with this ss47. It is easy to feel that paying a very high price for a machine will bring instant benefits (in my angling days we used to call it 'all the gear and no idea'), but I am certainly finding that returns are based much more on the quality of 'permissions', an understanding of the ground conditions and, equally as important, an understanding of the machine's particular behaviour. Sure, I do have the feeling that I may be missing a few 'goodies' which are deeper in very compact ground, but I can minimise this with familiarisation of the best settings to use in a given situation. As previously stated, the 400i certainly meets my expectations and I shall be hanging on to it for a long time.

30 years ago I moved through a very basic Viking, two c-scopes and eventually a Fisher 1265x. Looking back, my best finds came with the 1220b (which I still have).
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:46 pm

SuperRed wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:41 am
As said sometimes, the lower price range machines are unjustly considered a 'starter machine' which is far from the reality of their performance capability.
In my limited experience I agree with this ss47. It is easy to feel that paying a very high price for a machine will bring instant benefits (in my angling days we used to call it 'all the gear and no idea'), but I am certainly finding that returns are based much more on the quality of 'permissions', an understanding of the ground conditions and, equally as important, an understanding of the machine's particular behaviour. Sure, I do have the feeling that I may be missing a few 'goodies' which are deeper in very compact ground, but I can minimise this with familiarisation of the best settings to use in a given situation. As previously stated, the 400i certainly meets my expectations and I shall be hanging on to it for a long time.

30 years ago I moved through a very basic Viking, two c-scopes and eventually a Fisher 1265x. Looking back, my best finds came with the 1220b (which I still have).
An interesting thread which is swaying me more towards investing in the 400i , I have heard so many good things about the machine and it wont break the bank . I currently have the 250 which I enjoy and the also the Q40 which my wife uses mainly because of the weight comparison .To be honest I have no experience of the top end machines and at the moment I am not ready to invest further funds into something I dont really understand , I am still at that crucial learning curve and gaining experience as I go along through trial and error .
"All the gear and no idea" , been years since I heard that quote yet I see it all the time in my game . I build fishing rods for a living and I see so many who invest in the top of the range gear yet have no basic skills and very soon get disillusioned and end up selling near mint kit for less than half what they originally paid . I see similar in this hobby and there are many who come into it and then leave , when permissions or finds are hard to come by . Plenty of sound advice and warnings on here of the do"s and donts ! Make haste slowly springs to mind , but for now with my limited experience I will stick to the lower end machines until I am ready to invest further .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Hello all, just a shamless plug to say we have these listed at the MDFShop ::g

Direct link here - Garrett ACE400i

kenleyboy

Post by kenleyboy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:10 pm

mrix wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm
Hello all, just a shamless plug to say we have these listed at the MDFShop ::g

Direct link here - Garrett ACE400i
Nice move , I could be tempted in the near future .
I walk , I dig , I find ....naff all !

Return to “Garrett ACE 400i Forum”