Viking 7MX

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
Greenlaningxt

Viking 7MX

Post by Greenlaningxt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Newbie question.

Been looking to get my first detector, had been looking at Bounty Hunters, Fishers etc, but out of the blue I have a Viking MX7 in my possession..

I know it's an old one, but it's in good nick and I guess simple to use and most importantly it gets me started..

Also reading what I can find on them, they are liked and find stuff if it's there..

So my question, anyone know where I could find a manual or could someone give a run down on what settings the one knob could be used for.

Thanks in advance

John

Greenlaningxt

Re: Viking 7MX

Post by Greenlaningxt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:06 pm

I knew there were rare, but does anyone know anything about these?

I guess I can work it out with a lot of trial and error, but it would be good to know if it's worth trying at all.

John

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Looks like there may be some links in this older post - scan down the post.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=50669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:01 am

WVAM,

Thanks for that, I had seen that,
it's a different model someone thinks
it's a 8mx.

Lots more knobs on that one.

Oh well I will keep looking.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:30 am

They dont even list a report for that model on the Viking website,so must be a very old model,not the most popular of detector for some reason.

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 am

Why not give Regtons a call as they sell Viking detectors. None of the range are very expensive (in detector terms) and they could probably advise you on how to set yours and whether it is worth spending the time to get to know it.

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies

I have just sent them an email asking for their views on it.

Let's see what happens

John

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Just had a reply for Viking, great to get a response quickly.

As suspected they would recommend the MX7 as a good starter machine.

Simple motion detector with one basic adjust knob

Chris at Viking sent me a copy on the instructions and it seems nice and simple with some basic settings.

Now just need some time and space to get out and try it, back garden is calling first I guess to do some testing.

Only difference from the instructions is mine has 2 batteries and not one, guess it should last longer on 2.

A couple of things to do, it has a metal bolt holding the coil on, I am going g to replace it with a plastic/nylon one as it is getting picked up by the detector, box with all the electrical bits in is a bit loose on the shaft so will re-river it and the arm rest is broken on the back so will need something.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Was the original bolt plastic or was it exactly as it is a stainless one ?? some of my detectors have steel coil nuts and bolts as that i how they had been designed like that.Tesoro used them alot,the detector coil does not pick the stainless steel bolt up.

Also testing a detector in your back garden is often not the best are for setting a detector up or using one,often you will find a massive amount of general builders rubbish buried in the back garden after they have built the house.

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Mega B

To honest I have no idea if the original bolt was steel, stainless or plastic, it must have been changed at some point because the wing nut fouls the coil.

I just know when the reject control is turned up, it picks up the current steel bolt, if I remove it, I only have the beep I would expect when turning it on.

Stainless would be a good choice as it's not magnetic, I have a couple of plastic ones to hand so will try them for now and try a stainless one at some point.

I understand your comments about the back garden, completely makes sense.

Will see if I can find a suitable place

Thanks

John

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:35 am

Just a quick update

Tried the Viking out on the beach Saturday, very windy and cold

Had a great time, many thanks to Pomz for the enlightenment and loan of a machine to the better half.

For the first time we had a few finds, mainly junk but a few coins in there as well.

Compared to a modern machine the Viking is very basic, but it will tell you if there is something there or not.

I think you could probably workout what to dig for or leave alone once you had used it for a while.

But to be honest for the first time I only did a bit of adjustment to see when the Viking would and not pick stuff up.

Seemed to work in most conditions, found coins and junk at the high tide line and fishing weights and a length of pipe in the rock pools.

I think it will not be long before I upgrade to something that would tell you more. Having said that working out what to go for is going to be difficult

John

robbiephoto

Post by robbiephoto » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:46 pm

is this the one i got this for my lad a good few years ago
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greenlaningxt

Post by Greenlaningxt » Thu May 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Opps, sorry only just seen this, yes it's the same one..

Now passed onto my son, well nicked by him and he is finding stuff.

Would say it picks up as much as most machines but you only know what it has picked by digging.

But then he is young and fit!!!!!

Return to “Viking Forum”