A couple of questions on the Viking 5 series 2.

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
FearTheBeard

A couple of questions on the Viking 5 series 2.

Post by FearTheBeard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi folks, I got an old Viking 5 series 2 for cheap, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on what setting to use, I have been setting the threshold as per the manual which is the on/fine tune knob half way, and the other knob until I get a sound then back until it's barely audible. Is there different settings I should be using and how will I know when/how to tune it different?

Also, I was looking at the coil and it looks like it may have a cover on, but I'm not sure and don't want to try and pull it off and break it! Has anyone any experience with these and can you tell me if the bottom will come off without breaking a seal or something like that? I was testing it on some modern coins and it won't pick them up past 2" in lose covered soil, i would like to clean it up incase dirt is affecting it, unless it's all I can expect from this machine?

Thanks in advance and apologies if these are silly questions.

sweepstick47

Re: A couple of questions on the Viking 5 series 2.

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Hello 'FearTheBeard' There are no 'silly questions', just questions (I looked it up in the OED) :D
A photo of the search-coil may provide the answer but do you have a dealership within striking distance? I'm sure they would gladly offer advice to put your mind at rest.

There is only one way to set up the Viking and that is, as described in the instruction manual. I'm not familiar with the mark 2 but I doubt if it has a ground balance facility so it's necessarily important that you use the 'fine tuning' control to stabilise the audio threshold when it becomes unstable due to naturally occurring Ferrous Iron Oxide in the ground (ground effect).

All the best and I hope you can find some 'hands-on' assistance to properly explain it's use. ::g
Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

FearTheBeard

Post by FearTheBeard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks @sweepstick47 here's a picture of the coil. As you can see it's pretty dirty so I would imagine if it has a cover on it will likely have dirt inside as well.
FB_IMG_1534841459299.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bob79

Post by bob79 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:37 am

You could always phone or email Viking, still in business and based in Blackburn.

Bob ::g

FearTheBeard

Post by FearTheBeard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:05 pm

So I give it a bit of a pull and a push and it was definitely moving, so i popped it off and it is indeed a cover. And it was squeaky clean underneath!
I'm getting the hang of it now, I haven't had time to go out with it but I've been practicing on some coins in the back garden and it's picking up all sorts at my wood yard, which I know is bits of iron slag and rubbish so no point digging anything up in there haha. Hopefully get out with it soon and give the top of the field at the wood yard a going over, it's an old mining village in county Durham and you can see part of the Dere street Roman road just on the hillside so hopefully I will pick something interesting up!

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Good outcome regarding the coil cover ::g I'm assuming you've obtained the necessary consent from the owner to search on the 'wood Yard' property? Good Luck and enjoy getting to know your charge and lt us see some of the finds you make (less the iron slag)! ::g Regards ss47

FearTheBeard

Post by FearTheBeard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 pm
Good outcome regarding the coil cover ::g I'm assuming you've obtained the necessary consent from the owner to search on the 'wood Yard' property? Good Luck and enjoy getting to know your charge and lt us see some of the finds you make (less the iron slag)! ::g Regards ss47
I certainly have, I had a word with myself and I'm ok with me detecting on it....

Sorry, bit of tongue in cheek, I own the wood yard and field it's on so no issues there.
Some day soon when the business takes off I will treat myself to a better machine.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:15 pm

That's Great ::g I'm sure that business, like your finds, will be plentiful! ::g
Good Luck - Regards ss47

Return to “Viking Forum”