Viking 5

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
fifleman

Viking 5

Post by fifleman »

I always wanted to detect so bit the bullet and invested a hard earned £100 on a top of the range viking5!
Straight away it was picking up all sorts of goodies quite deep down!
Is this detector any good or is it that i just haven't used a good machine?

old-blue-eyes

Re: Viking5

Post by old-blue-eyes »

I started out with one of these.Found 2 gold rings on the beach,1 in dry the other wet sand.Also found my 1st hammy with it.Still got it as can't bare to part with it.Very well built will last a long time.You will want to upgrade at some point in the future but in the meantime you made a good choice.How about some pics of the "goodies". :)

pelanj

Post by pelanj »

Viking 5 is not bad if you know its limitations. It is not very deep and the depth is influenced by ground mineralization. I used to have one and it was great for getting the fresh drops in the sand on a beach. I have found quite a few coins with it.

fifleman

Post by fifleman »

I had my heart set on a garret ace 250 but with a baby on the way just got to know your limitations!
Never been on the beach but might just head down over the xmas holidays!

craghopper

Post by craghopper »

Iv'e got a viking 6 was going to get the V5 but viking told me the V6 was the one for wet sand found a few coins and small buttons about 12ins down on wet sand ,depth seems less on pasture
about 9ins max on a good copper coin ,nearly 18ins on big horshoes and lumps of iron .Iv'e been pleased with the detector had it about 6 months so simple to use .Can't get on permissions at present most are seeded or like a mud bath it,s rained here almost every day for 2 weeks and there are only 4 days left this month when the tide is right to go on the beach, I'm getting cheesed off roll on spring .
Fisher F4/Viking V6
Roughneck shovel
Army folding shovel
Dobbies s/s spade
F I D member

pelanj

Post by pelanj »

12" in the wet sand? That sounds really unbelievable:) I got a little over 6" with the 5. If it was really true, then it would be as deep as my ML Quattro in the wet sand...And then I would get one in a minute :)

I do not say that I do not trust you - I saw videos of a CS770 hitting a golden ring at almost 13".

Fusion

Re: Viking 5

Post by Fusion »

Take a look at Staffs Metal Detectors depth test, shame it's a bit out-of-date.
http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/depth_test.htm

pelanj

Post by pelanj »

Those depth test are in perfect agreement with my Viking 5 experience. Therefore I doubt the 6 could get so deep.

craghopper

Post by craghopper »

pelanj wrote:12" in the wet sand? That sounds really unbelievable:) I got a little over 6" with the 5. If it was really true, then it would be as deep as my ML Quattro in the wet sand...And then I would get one in a minute :)

I do not say that I do not trust you - I saw videos of a CS770 hitting a golden ring at almost 13".
Hi I use the old army folding spade blade is 8ins and end of blade to end of handle is about 24 ins I had dug down almost vertical to where the handle joins the shaft which would be about 12ins the item was a piece of brass approx one and a quarter ins x half ins x quarter ins
it was hollow I thought it was a piece of a gold bracelet at first no such luck I was supprised by the depth so I measured it against spade .not saying 12 ins every time probably a one off on a good target. Item is bottom row 2nd from right
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fisher F4/Viking V6
Roughneck shovel
Army folding shovel
Dobbies s/s spade
F I D member

pelanj

Post by pelanj »

OK, I thought you were talking about 12" on a coin sized object.

Anyway, how stable do you find the Viking 6? I was searching in the wet sand with my old 5 and it did not false much when I moved the coil well. Are you able to listen for subtle changes in threshold? I would have still kept the 5 if it had some sort of ground balance - as far as I know, the discrimination on 6 should work as a kind of groundbalance, right? It used to be like that on an old Whites I used to have.

craghopper

Post by craghopper »

Hi I should have read my first post before I submitted it a piece of the text was missing after small buttons so it was misleading ,I just turn the tuning down until tone is barely audible and then a fraction more until it disappears ,then check with a coin to make sure it picks up. It obviously drifts as you search but just use reset button I tend to leave rejection at 5-6 but still dig every signal because it's easy on sand .Trouble is it still picks up bits of foil ,after 8 it only picks up gold rings and pure copper coins .Haven't found gold yet just did test with wife's wedding ring
Fisher F4/Viking V6
Roughneck shovel
Army folding shovel
Dobbies s/s spade
F I D member

Return to “Viking Forum”