Viking 5 Coil question.

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
battlecircus10

Viking 5 Coil question.

Post by battlecircus10 »

Anyone got a non working Viking 5 with a usable coil by any chance. Or, anyone know if I can use another coil from a different machine on it. They run at 100khz. .

I bought this one off ebay described in "good working order". When it came back, the bottom of the lead right by the coil had been chewed through by some creature and taped up. Needless to say it didn't work and it is too close to the coil to be soldered back together. Can anyone help?

Minelab Explorer XS
Garrett Ace 150 x 2
Viking V5
KellyCo aluminium sand scoop imported from the USA at great cost but is the best single item ever purchased for the beach. Weighs about 2 lbs and there is still nothing to touch it built in the UK.

battlecircus10

Re: Viking 5 Coil question.

Post by battlecircus10 »

No can't help you mate sorry.
Minelab Explorer XS
Garrett Ace 150 x 2
Viking V5
KellyCo aluminium sand scoop imported from the USA at great cost but is the best single item ever purchased for the beach. Weighs about 2 lbs and there is still nothing to touch it built in the UK.

battlecircus10

Post by battlecircus10 »

No, nor me sorry mate.
Minelab Explorer XS
Garrett Ace 150 x 2
Viking V5

pmcd

Post by pmcd »

You could try contacting the manufacurer to see if they can help.

http://www.metaldetectors.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minelab SE with Pro Coil and Sunray X1 Probe.

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

I think you should be more ambitious in your attempt at repairing the coil. You've seen the technical details of the machine thanks to Geotech1, it shouldn't be too hard to get access to the damaged area and rejoin the wire.

battlecircus10

Post by battlecircus10 »

battlecircus10 wrote:
and it is too close to the coil to be soldered back together. Can anyone help?
Minelab Explorer XS
Garrett Ace 150 x 2
Viking V5

Fusion

Post by Fusion »

No such thing as 'too close'. I was thinking along the lines of opening the coil case completely if needed, there's a fair chance you could get it going, even water-resistant again. You have nothing to lose, really.

battlecircus10

Post by battlecircus10 »

Well, there are three bare wires sticking out out of the coil. In the coil lead itself there are four. They are SO thin and I don't think my welding skills would do a very good job on them. Anyway, I really don't fancy going into the coil but on a more positive note, Viking did reply and told me that they would get one out to me by tomorrow. All for the cost of £25.00 so that's a good result Ithink.
Minelab Explorer XS
Garrett Ace 150 x 2
Viking V5

Return to “Viking Forum”