Viking VK30 faulty?

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
UncleAdesMDT

Viking VK30 faulty?

Post by UncleAdesMDT » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:43 am

Hi, New to the forum, just posted an introduction in the relevant section and mentioned my eldest lad has borrowed a VK30 from his uncle Ade.
We have tried it on a field and yesterday on the beach at Talacre, Point of Ayr, but it seems to work OK for a while, then beep continuously!
I cleaned it all up this morning (it's a good 7 years old) it has a cover over the head, but that was free of dust and sand.
I watched a video of one for sale on You-Tube and noticed that the letter 'P' was not shown on the LCD display, but on the one we have it is always on! I'm guessing this is the problem and it is always in Pinpoint mode or retuning? If I hold the Pinpoint/Retune button down, the 'P' disappears and it appears to work normally.
I opened it up to have a look inside, thinking I could just disconnect the button, but I couldn't remove the lower two circuit boards to access the button and as it's not mine, didn't want to make things worse by using too much force removing them. Then I noticed that the grey cable coming from the detector head to the control box has a yellow wire not connected to anything on the circuit board (and not touching anything) - but copper wires in it are exposed.
So I wonder if anyone can tell me if the button could be faulty, whether the yellow wire is anything to do with it or... if that wire is redundant on the VK30?
A job for Viking?
Thanks.

UncleAdesMDT

Re: Viking VK30 faulty?

Post by UncleAdesMDT » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:01 am

Tried to get a close enough picture of the yellow wire...wondering if it is a problem or only used on the VK40?

...and here's the MD in action over an old penny...the 'P' is always there unless I press and hold the Pinpoint/Retune button.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7HuzlrZ5rU
Last edited by UncleAdesMDT on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

midas
Location: Junction27.M62.Nr LEEDS.W.Yorks.Ex Hunmanby.E.Yorks

Post by midas » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Give Viking a RING on 01254 55887,They are UK based in BLACKBURN.sounds as tho it could do with a service.best of luck ,n if in doubt or not skilled enough leave well alone."a little knowledge is DANGEROUS!"
PS.Have you got a new Alkaline battery in????????????
Same old MIDAS,Just been resurrected!!
.Living for the moment,Digging up the past,For the future to see!.

UncleAdesMDT

Post by UncleAdesMDT » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:18 am

Thanks Midas.
Yeah battery is new. I know my limits with electronics, however an electrician in work (who has a Bounty Hunter) is willing to have a look around it. I will see what Uncle Ade wants to do - it's his MD after all - but I suspect as you suggest a call to Viking looks likely!
I Seem to remember the 'P' always displayed on the screen when Ade first bought it from new...! Neither he nor I have ever had any previous detecting experience!

Return to “Viking Forum”